1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

What have you done to your truck today?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 08:49 PM
RAY1986F150
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bruno2
I have got the 4" straight pipe on the Powerstroke. It gives off a nice roar. The Harley guys dont like to play the loud pipes game under the overpasses very long.

If they do I turn the tuner up and give them a cloud of smoke to wander around in.
So you're that jerk that always blows smoke in my face while I am riding? lol

Old 09-12-2012, 09:09 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by RAY1986F150
So you're that jerk that always blows smoke in my face while I am riding? lol
Ask your M/W question here. And stand by to be "inundated" with opinions.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:06 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I finally finished soldering, heat shrinking, and re-wrapping my DSII harness. The only things left to do are figure out which connectors I will use for the coolant temp and oil pressure switches. That will depend on the type of fitting the aftermarket switches will come with. I may end up adding some more flex loom as well. Currently I only have flex loom covering the main body of the harness between the Ignition Module box connectors and the split for the Dizzy/Sending Unit/Coil wires.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:28 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Originally Posted by Fordzilla80
I have the book out in the shop, but I'll see if I can go by memory. Forgive me if the inch increments are off, I'll update them if they're wrong. They recommend stripping one wire to 1.25", and the other to .75". Slide a piece of shrink tubing over one of the wires and slide it down away from the copper strip. Take the copper ends and put them parallel to each other. Instead of having the copper strips facing each other, you want the stripped ends of the wires to be facing in the same direction. You will want to bend the copper strips into an L so that the copper strips do not rub against the insulation while soldering. Now twist the two ends together. Solder the twisted combo together, and then let them cool. Once they're cool, take the 1.25" wire, and bend it back. Slide the heat shrink tubing over the joint, and then apply heat to the shrink tubing. Once finished, wrap the repaired section of wire in electrical tape.
Ok, I think I have it. Thanks.

I finally finished soldering, heat shrinking, and re-wrapping my DSII harness. The only things left to do are figure out which connectors I will use for the coolant temp and oil pressure switches. That will depend on the type of fitting the aftermarket switches will come with. I may end up adding some more flex loom as well. Currently I only have flex loom covering the main body of the harness between the Ignition Module box connectors and the split for the Dizzy/Sending Unit/Coil wires.
Looking good! Are they truly switches or sending units? The sending units I've seen have the threaded stud, and I like to use a ring-tongue connector and put brass nuts on above and below it.

Old 09-12-2012, 10:44 PM
Fordzilla80
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Lewis
Ok, I think I have it. Thanks.

Looking good! Are they truly switches or sending units? The sending units I've seen have the threaded stud, and I like to use a ring-tongue connector and put brass nuts on above and below it.
I mix up the terms when I'm in a hurry. I'm not quite sure which is which on the 400. I know my Ranger has an oil pressure switch. If there's oil pressure, the gauge shoots to the middle. If there's no oil pressure, the gauge drops to numerical 0. The gauge in that truck isn't variable like our trucks, it either goes to the middle, or it stays to the left of the gauge without oil pressure. So maybe that means our trucks use sending units, and not a switch since the temp and oil pressure readings are variable.

The coolant temp sending unit that came with my 400 requires the blade style connector, which I don't think is what Ford used. The Oil Pressure sending unit that my 400 came with utilizes the threaded male end you referred to, and will more than likely end up exactly with what you described, against my desire for factory connections.

Old 09-12-2012, 11:05 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
I mix up the terms when I'm in a hurry. I'm not quite sure which is which on the 400. I know my Ranger has an oil pressure switch. If there's oil pressure, the gauge shoots to the middle. If there's no oil pressure, the gauge drops to numerical 0. The gauge in that truck isn't variable like our trucks, it either goes to the middle, or it stays to the left of the gauge without oil pressure. So maybe that means our trucks use sending units, and not a switch since the temp and oil pressure readings are variable.

The coolant temp sending unit that came with my 400 requires the blade style connector, which I don't think is what Ford used. The Oil Pressure sending unit that my 400 came with utilizes the threaded male end you referred to, and will more than likely end up exactly with what you described, against my desire for factory connections.
A sending unit provides a variable resistance while a switch is on/off. As for the connectors, if you go with a flat or blade style connector for the temp you'll have the right one for the oil pressure. Just repurpose the right-angle connector and use it for oil pressure - although you will have to cut the rubber off to solder to it. But then you can heat-shrink it.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:38 AM
truckertrav
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I replaced the clutch fan on the 85.

Got a Hayden unit from O'reillys. $49.95
Actually, it said Made In USA..

Ordered new ignition switch and rod for tilt wheel.
They will be in this morning.

I should have replaced them when I put the new turn signal switch in..
Oh Well...

I'm taking it to the painter on Sat. He is going to start on it next week.
If the deal works out,I'll get her painted for a little cash and a week or two of grunt work in his shop.

It'll give me a chance to get a little paint and body 101...Trav..

Old 09-13-2012, 01:33 PM
Rogue_Wulff
Post Fiend
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
What are you guys talking about? A flowmaster 40 ALWAYS sounds better.
You wouldn't say that if you ever heard one behind a rotary engine...... Trust me on that. A poorly tuned, misfiring weed eater with no muffler sounds better than a rotary with a flowmaster.
I hate the tone they give when used in duals on a V8. Mostly due to the way the owners tend to drive when this setup is used.

The only reason I put the FM40 on my truck, it was given to me, and the truck needed a muffler. I didn't expect it to sound as good as it does.

I am rather fond of the way dad's truck sounds with the duals, glasspacks, and 3" tips. Of course, the system exits straight out the back, so I don't have to hear it at highway speeds........ That makes a big difference.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:15 PM
RAY1986F150
Laughing Gas
Well these flowtech afterburner mufflers I will trade with anyone for some Flowmasters. Lets hack them off and switch em around.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:23 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Well these flowtech afterburner mufflers I will trade with anyone for some Flowmasters. Lets hack them off and switch em around.
After me. I have first dibbs on the hacking and welding.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:24 PM
RAY1986F150
Laughing Gas
Im sure we wont mess with cutting on my exhaust saturday. We have a few projects to work on.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:39 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Im sure we wont mess with cutting on my exhaust saturday. We have a few projects to work on.
Yuppers. With your wheel bearings and seals, Chris' bed that magically appeared here and needs put on pallets that Bruno is supposed to pick up, and my exhaust system it may be more of a WTG than a GTG. Maybe we need to have Bruno coin a new term? Something I can remember, meaning short?

Old 09-13-2012, 04:22 PM
RAY1986F150
Laughing Gas
Yuppers. With your wheel bearings and seals, Chris' bed that magically appeared here and needs put on pallets that Bruno is supposed to pick up, and my exhaust system it may be more of a WTG than a GTG. Maybe we need to have Bruno coin a new term? Something I can remember, meaning short?
Is chris going to be there? It'll be nice to finally meet a few guys from the forum. Am I gunna be the youngin' or are there any other guys my age coming?

Old 09-13-2012, 04:49 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Is chris going to be there? It'll be nice to finally meet a few guys from the forum. Am I gunna be the youngin' or are there any other guys my age coming?
Yes, last I heard Chris is heading out in the morn for parts SE. As for you being the youngest, I dunno. But, if we can sign Kris (Bruno's son) up for FTE, and maybe even get the only chapter leader that's OK to make him part of our chapter then you won't be the youngest.

Bring your camera! Gonna be our biggest gathering yet. And, the workingest.

Old 09-13-2012, 06:02 PM
RAY1986F150
Laughing Gas
Yes, last I heard Chris is heading out in the morn for parts SE. As for you being the youngest, I dunno. But, if we can sign Kris (Bruno's son) up for FTE, and maybe even get the only chapter leader that's OK to make him part of our chapter then you won't be the youngest.

Bring your camera! Gonna be our biggest gathering yet. And, the workingest.
Good idea. I have a nice Nikkon D60 that'll take some great pics. And maybe we should start thinking about doing a swap meet along with these GTG's....well not in the traditional sense. But you know, maybe we could all broadcast what we are looking for and anyone that has those items can bring them and either swap parts or exchange money. Im heading up to the store to get the bearings and seals for the axle in a minute.

Quick Reply: What have you done to your truck today?