1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

New steering pressure hose same leak.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 12:12 PM
73cntry
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New steering pressure hose same leak.

Last year I changed my steering gearbox with a rebuilt one due to it draining out of the bottom where the pitman arm goes.
Then installed both old lines no leaks. Now the pressure line started leaking where it goes into the gearbox. Fluid coming out of the tube itself vice the threaded part. Tried tightening it thinking it wasn't seated right no joy.
Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts.

Old 10-24-2010, 12:40 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
sounds like dirt in there on the ....
uhm, can't think of what its called..

Flare.
Dirt on the flare.

I installed mine with some liquid teflon.
good stuff.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:10 PM
redman84
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've got the same problem. Blew a hose a few years ago and have a small leak ever since putting in the new one. I don't know if it is from the gearbox or reservoir side. I guess I could quit being lazy and fix it. Only leaks like 1/2 a quart over a year though but it is the only drip ever from the bottom of my truck.

William, would teflon tape work just as well or no? Where to get liquid teflon?

Old 10-24-2010, 02:36 PM
DRRXR
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess this is talking about the outlet hose from the pump. Right?

Anyhow mine blew off a year or so ago and the main contributor to that was the ball joints wear and how at low speed they would catch and cause a sudden pressure spike. Also I am not sure of the tourque to use on the ferrell but I know that its really low. I think about 24 ft # or less; anyhow if you go higher than that it may damage the pump side or the hose side and it wont seal. So if remove it and apply some dope the dope needs to be compatible with the fluid. You may want to try the yellow teflon is hydrocarbon rated.

Last edited by DRRXR; 10-24-2010 at 02:37 PM. Reason: added a E ha
Old 10-24-2010, 03:02 PM
73cntry
Senior User
Well I went to NAPA and bought a set of pipe or line fittings vive the two sided crows foot.
On the gearbox itself I had 32in of straight extension and possibly 5-10 deg on the 3/8 universal on the 13mm crows foot.
I'm hoping I only torqued it to 25ft lbs as I didn't calculate the offset with the universal. It's been a long time since I've had to do that but so far so good on the leak
Thank you for all the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-24-2010, 06:19 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
I don't know how the fitting can cause problems if its a hydraulic flared fitting.
you can't damage the pump, you can only really damage the threading or damage the flare if you put to much pressure on it.

It's always possible its a bad flare, and isn't symmetrical.

I've not been a fan of Teflon tape for a long time, after using pipe dope, it's just so much more .... useful.

Actually, when your doing hydraulic lines, your not supposed to use Teflon tape at all.

Remember, there is a thin thin layer of nothing between the tape layers and the metal, With the liquid, thats not there, it fills in the gap like loctite does.
Somehow with all the pressure, the oil can actually make it into the Teflon tape and break the seal and if you've ever noticed how useless Teflon tape is after you've gotten oil on it, you'll know what i'm talking about at this point.

Old 10-25-2010, 08:39 AM
73cntry
Senior User
I didn't use any teflon tape or goop just hope I didn't overtighten it. The funny but not funny ha ha is both the old line nd newer one were leaking from the same place until I put close to 25 ft lbs of torque on it.
I also read in the steering, suspension forum that on the pressure line may be tight enough to use a crows foot or imact to take it off.
So still hoping I won't strip threads over time as it still doesn't leak for now. (pressure line going to the gearbox)