1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Explorer vs Expedition Cargo Space - Am I missing something?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2001, 04:01 PM
luxury
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 02-01-2001, 07:13 PM
jkb081759
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
I'm looking at an SUV to go camping with, so I need a certain amount of cargo space + haul four people around at the same time. I went to a Ford dealer yesterday and measured the "cargo" area of an Expedition behind the middle seat (ignoring the rear seat as it would be removed) and measured appx. 4' x 5' x 2' (to middle seat) or 3' (to rooftop). I just measured a coworker's Explorer and got appx. 3.5' x 4.3' x 1.5' (seat) or 3.7' (roof). I thought by looking on the outside that the Expedition would have MUCH more rear space than the Explorer. What I did notice is the middle seat area in the Expedition had enough room to seat the Jolly Green Giant vs. the Explorer that had an average amount of space.

Are my observations correct, or am I overlooking something? Given this, why would I want the Expedition over the Explorer when I apparently don't have very much more rear storage? Ignore towing as a reason as I'm not planning on doing this.

NOTE: I do not view folding down the middle row of seats on the Expedition an option (although it could come in handy) for my purposes.

Thanks in advance,
John

Old 02-02-2001, 11:22 AM
luxury
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Assuming you load the back to a height about level with the top of the rear seat (the most likely scenario, especially if you have rear seat occupants who do not like cargo impacting the back of thier heads) the expedition yields nearly twice the cargo volume of the explorer using your measurments. Having just upgraded from an explorer to an expedition I can attest to the vast improvement in cargo capacity. I am now able to easily load as much in the expedition with the seats up as I was in the explorer with the seats folded down. I have yet to find one thing I liked better about my explorer than I do the expedition (including gas mileage). Go for the expedition, you'll never look back.

Old 02-02-2001, 09:35 PM
turbo497
Junior User

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-Feb-01 AT 10:48 PM (EST)[/font][p][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-Feb-01 AT 10:36 PM (EST)[/font]

explorer is too small don't get it... I had two a 96 sport two door and a 1997 limited.

the gas mileage is better in the expedition(14mpg) than the limited(11mpg) and your passangers will be more confy in the expy. If its cargo space your looking for why dont you get a supercab F150 put a cover over the bed and you can haul a bunch of stuff. I now have both a 2000 f150 Ext cab with a six foot bed and a 1998 E.B expy. love em both

my f150 seats 6 and the E.B expy seats 8 both are 5.4 4X4's the explorer two door seats 4and the limited will only seat 5 .. if 3 are kids and its tight fit at that. add a stroller diaper bag and some toys in the limited youre maxed out,

THANK GOD I talked my wife out of those explorer's she very happy with the Expy

Old 02-05-2001, 12:30 AM
ematson
New User

I have to agree with the other two posts. I just upgraded to a 2001 Expedition from a 99 Explorer, and the differences are too many to list. One main difference is the much larger area for rear seat passengers. The Explorer's backseat is really cramped if you haul tall passengers, whereas the Expedition has tons of room, even if the front seats are located all the way back.

Do yourself a favor and get the Expedition.

Old 02-07-2001, 11:08 PM
jakegypsum
Posting Guru

Expi all the way! I too have made the change from Explorer to Expi. If you like road trips and are planning to have passengers, the Expi is the only way to go. As the above posts have mentioned, the Explorer is very cramped for passengers. At any seat even. As for the rear, even though the measurements do seem close, those extra inches made the biggest difference for me. A road trip to Florida was a breeze in the Expi. A much shorter trip to Virginia was tight in the Explorer. I vote for the Expi. Just my two cents. Good luck.

Jakegypsum // Ford fleet, soup to nuts.

Old 03-01-2001, 11:28 PM
woodmen
New User

I stand about 6'6" and we have an Expedition (01) and a Mercury Mountaineer (98) both have V-8 engines (I did get the 5.4 on the Expy)

When I drive the Mt'eer I lack both head and legroom. I do not put the seat all the way back in the Expy.

This should answer your question - the Expy put the extra room in the "People" area - which is what it hauls most of the time!

I cannot even begin to describe the difference in the ride. I do not have the beefier suspension that comes with the optional hitch on the Expy - but it really is great with the 17" wheels.

Amazingly enough, the Expy is much faster (when you pull the trigger, you better be pointed where you want to go) So far the Expy gets 12-13 in town and up to 18 on the highway. The Mountaineer gets 13-15 in town and about 18-20 hwy (grandma flies about 80 on Texas interstates)

I had the only Mountaineer in the world that dod not have its Firestones recalled - So I recalled them, and went to Michelin LT - that sure made a difference in interior noise. I didn't realize how bad the Firestones were until I didn't hear the Michelins.

Since I resemble the Jolly Green Giant - I like the extra room Ford has given us in bopth the front seats, and the center area (I have the 4 buckets)

I would recommend the buckets if you are going to haul long items that might fit down the center of the vehicle (like tent poles)

Oh yeah, I never thought about the Mountaineer being a "mini SUV" until I parked the Expy in the garage beside it!