Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

Idle and possibly EGR issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 09:46 PM
winger27
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Idle and possibly EGR issue

Hi Everyone, I have a good one for you all...
I've been working through issues with my 2002 ford escape, the V6. Started having miss-fires and idle issues a year or more ago.. got codes for miss-fire and EGR..
The miss-fires occurred when the car was cold, then the air warmed up, or after driving the day before in heavy rain.... some condensation somewhere would cause moving miss-fires/diff cylinders.. after it got warm and dry, it was fine..
and it was every now and then idling weird.. so, as I worked through things.. end up doing the following..
Replaced the plugs, the COPS , boots, the upper and lower manifold gaskets(and the valve cover gaskets/leaking a little) cleaned checked and replaced the injectors.. put in a new PCV hose and valve, IAC, EGR, EGR vacuum control solenoid, removed inspected and cleaned the EGR tub... and finally replaced the DPFE(motorcraft)..
cleaned the MAF, it has a new fuel pump(bad 2 years ago)..removed, cleaned reseated and sealed the PCM connector and all of the connectors I could get to.. then sprayed all the electronics with silicon..
Oh yeah, the gas tank recycling system under the car was replaced due to running over a tire thrown at me by a truck.. tore it off the bottom.. so insurance replaced it..
I got rid of the miss-fires (unless it is REALLY wet, then just a little) and the EGR codes I was getting, and it runs pretty good.. I wouldn't say like brand new, but good enough.. lots of power, just a little rough idle.. my family can't tell, but I can..
Except!
If I just drive around town on local streets, no problems..
but I get on the highway, drive for a while fast, when I get off the highway, down/up the ramp, and come to a stop, the darn thing wants to die during idle!.. very low revs.. Rev it till I can roll again, drive a little ways, and it's back to normal.. also happens once in a great while if I coast a long distance down a hill after driving a while.. Not a SINGLE code, and the ODBII says all tests pass inspection!
it's making me Insane!!!!!!
I'd rather not replace EVERY sensor and wiring harness on the engine if I can help it..

oh yeah, if I remove and plug the vacuum hose to the EGR valve, the bad EGR flow code comes on, but I don't have this problem.. it runs great.. but of course it won't pass inspections.. and I've heard that can damage the cats...?

HELP!! I need this sucker to last a year or two more just to get to work....

Old 10-23-2010, 08:07 AM
bmuhlbach
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wild guess here have you checked the trans fluid On my Jeep it will wig out some times on the idle or stall.I was told the torgue converter may not be disengaging and to run the trans fluid on the high side of the full mark.Seems alot better since I did it.
My other try would be to add injecter cleaner to your tank I used lucus on my Super duty as it would stall out at the end of my driveway in some mornings ran the cleaner and issue stopped.