1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

TC shifter tight

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 10:11 AM
Higgy
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TC shifter tight

headed to the outer banks this weekend, so I was testing 4x4 in the gravel lot behind the plant. Noticed shifting between 2h and 4h the shifter was really tight. Everything engaged and disengaged fine, but it has never been that tight in the past.

The truck pretty much sat for the summer as I was traveling for work, the last time i had it in 4 wheel was in the spring after i had the trans rebuilt, and i do not remember having any issues with it.

Just wondering if this is something to worry about because I'll have it on the beach all week.

On another note, i changed my hinge pins in the driverside after lifting the door for the past year. looked up some previous post on how to do it and it actually wasnt too bad, wish i had done it when i noticed them, its rad now.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:51 PM
excavator
Senior User
The shifter is suppose to move down when you push on it and they get dry and bind up. Sometimes the thing just splits. You should just crawl under and inspect and spray with wd 40 or pb blaster. On my mason dump that I plow alot I had same or worse problem and the shifter is too much money.
Yhis was my fix and took 1 minute

Old 12-11-2010, 03:19 PM
rideracelivemx7
Posting Guru
to be honest i would take the assembly off and lube it up real good. there a terrible peace and the inside were the bolt goes to hold the assembly on freezes up with gunk over the years and sand because its cast alum. and the heads snap off from yanking on it so hard. there not easy to find used and there a hefty penny brand new. take it off and cram it up evvery were with never seize. good luck!

Old 12-11-2010, 03:21 PM
excavator
Senior User
I cut the pin off on the side that catches and no more problem.
Shifts just like it is suppose too but no saftey lock.