Melted Fuel S/O Switch Connector

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 10:14 PM
HD
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Melted Fuel S/O Switch Connector

Hello all,

Looking for some guidance how to go about repairing a harness connector. This is my story...

My Ranger didnt want to fire up a couple days ago, only crank. I reset the inertia fuel cutoff switch and she fired right up. I removed the switch and found the harness connector melted and distorted. I checked the switch continuity and resistance. Takes a good jolt to trip it and it isnt shorted. I replaced the fuel pump fuse just to be on the safe side.

Today I broke open the connector casing (since it was toast anyway) without damaging the wires or crimps (Lucky!). I shot the wires for continuity and voltage to the pump, both good. If possible Id like to just intall the factory terminals into a new connector casing (so I dont have to break any wiring). Can this connector be rebuilt in this way? From a small section not melted on mine, it looks like it may have tabs for the terminals that could be released. After searching, it seems this has happened to a lot of Rangers, but I cant find an instance where this kind of fix was attempted (or written).

The number printed on my on connector is F8AB-14489-89. I also have some pics in my Ranger gallery. Fordparts.com doesnt show anything for this number and Google isnt very helpful. Looks like a trip to the dealer, but I wanted to ask on here first.
As always, any and all help is much appreciated!

Thanks!
Chris

*Edit* Sorry for the double post. Please disregard the first post.

Last edited by HD; 10-10-2010 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Double post
Old 10-12-2010, 01:51 PM
5.0B2
Senior User
There are vendors who sell the connector and/or wiring pigtail but your cheapest/best bet is you local salvage yard. Or possibly someone who is parting out a vehicle (I imagine that most Fords use the same switch/connector) the wiring pins do release from the connector so you can push yours in in place of them (you will feel a slight click when they seat)

Old 10-17-2010, 08:37 PM
HD
Senior User
Hey all,

Thank you for the reply 5.0B2 and thanks to everyone for the looks.

I wasnt able to get down to a junkyard, so I went to Ford and bought a new pigtail kit. It was actually a nice kit. It not only came with the pigtail but all the connectors and heatshrink required. I was going to take the new one apart, but I wouldve been hard pressed to get a jewelers screwdriver inside the front of that thing. I decided to install it as it was, and it went well. Ive got some junkyard pigtails from an old 300 I6 harness, Ill practice taking those apart!

I made a picture album of the repair if anyone ones to check it out or wants to go the same route as me if it happens to them. I dont know how to put a link to it here, so just go to albums and look for my username. If anyone knows how to put the fancy links in a post, Id love to know. Thanks!

Chris