1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

removing leafs from F5 springs

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 07:39 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
removing leafs from F5 springs

While I am not using my F5 on a regular basis yet, I have had the opportunity to drive it around town and at a couple of shows over the past month. The bouncing and banging is being addressed one thing at a time. First was replacing the cab mount bushings and bolts (the old rear mounts had been installed upside down). Next was replacing the dove tail bushings and the striker plates.
The banging is about gone, but the bouncing and jarring about scared the wife right outta the truck. The old steel flatbed is long gone and the new wood stake bed is 'in the process' in the shop. Before I start building the bed on the truck I am considering removing some of the 12 leafs (each side) on the rear.
I'm thinking about removing every other leaf and then leaving the helpers in, 'just in case'. The new bed I am estimating will weight between 800 and 1000 lbs. and it will probably never see any kind of load on it.
The question I have is, how big of a job is this on this size truck, or should I suck it up and take it to a spring shop?

Old 10-10-2010, 08:30 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
If all the hardware is good (pins bushings, etc.) I wouldn't think it's very hard at all.

Old 10-10-2010, 11:23 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The hardest part of that project would be man handleing the heavy weight of the parts.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:23 AM
petey shoes
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
keep in mind that removing springs will more than likely lower ride height. if you are doing all four corners, make sure front wheels can turn fully in either direction. you might catch inner and/or outer fenders

Old 10-11-2010, 08:40 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 616 Likes on 382 Posts
I don't know if the spring eye pins are similar to those on an F-1, but getting the front pins out is usually the tough part. More of an access issue than anything, but if the pins have a step worn into them, it can be a real treat. Easily solved with the hot wrench...

Old 10-11-2010, 11:05 AM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 344 Likes on 260 Posts
I might be wrong, but I doubt you'll see the same softening of the ride that you would on an F1. The springs on the big trucks are bigger and stiffer - and if it does work it might throw the little lady around even more than stock.

The stock seat is pretty well sprung if you can remain in place - I'd opt for seatbelts before changing the springs.

Old 10-11-2010, 12:23 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by petey shoes
keep in mind that removing springs will more than likely lower ride height. if you are doing all four corners, make sure front wheels can turn fully in either direction. you might catch inner and/or outer fenders
As the truck sits right now, with the 8R19.5 tires and wheels, the rear is about 5" higher than the front, so i have no need to change the front.
Originally Posted by mtflat
I might be wrong, but I doubt you'll see the same softening of the ride that you would on an F1. The springs on the big trucks are bigger and stiffer - and if it does work it might throw the little lady around even more than stock.

The stock seat is pretty well sprung if you can remain in place - I'd opt for seatbelts before changing the springs.
I considered the changes but looking at the manual, the F5 came standard with 12 leaf rated at 4300 lb The two options were 7 leaf (1700 lb) and 10 leaf (3600 lb) this truck has the 12 and I was thinking of removing about 3 - 4, so I don't see that having a major impact. I guess to be safe I should consider going with either the 7 or the 10. The 7 would reduce the load capacity quite a bit, but I also intended to leave the 'auxiliary' springs in there.