The Ford Y Block 272 cubic inch (4.5 L) engine was first put into a Ford vehicle in 1955, and was the standard engine included with the majority of Ford models. Two-barrel 162 hp and four-barrel 182 hp versions of the Y Block 272 were offered when the engine was introduced.
The Ford Y Block 272 engine was made by the Brazilian arm of Ford, at its Sao Paulo division, and was included with Brazilian F-Series trucks until 1977. They were also standard in the Brazilian Galaxie from its inception in 1962 to 1976.
The Ford Y Block 292 cubic inch (4.8 L) engine also emerged in 1955″”used in vehicles specially ordered by law enforcement or government organizations. The Y Block 292 only became publicly available as an option in the Ford Thunderbird V8 and Montclair in 1956, and became common in Ford trucks until 1964, when the 292 went out of use.
Internationally, the Australian arm of Ford included the Y Block 292 in Customline 4-door sedans and a “Mainline” utility vehicle from 1955 to 1959. Also, it was used in Argentina to power their F100 pickups until the mid 1960s.
The Ford Y-Block 292 cu in engines made in 1955 included a four barrel carburetor with a bore stroke of 3.75 x 3.3 inches. Horsepower depended on the transmission (manual or automatic), but averaged around 200 hp.