2008 F-150 Overview
- Innovative Features. F-150 factory-installed, Cargo Management System – the strongest and most versatile system on the market – increases flexibility for hauling and securely stowing all types of cargo. Available Rearview Camera System enhances visibility at the rear of the box. F-150 mid-box gives fleet owners more storage and flexibility.
- Expanding the Lineup: New Ford F-150 Lariat Limited, STX Wheels and Stripes Package and F-150 XL SuperCrew give consumers even more choice.
- Built Ford Tough. The 2008 F-150 continues to deliver the highest towing capability and available payload in its class.
- Strong extruded aluminum double channel rails allow multiple accessories to be installed. Rails have cleat positions every 90 millimeters accommodating a wide range of cargo. Easily adjustable, cast aluminum cleats are designed to hold over 600 pounds.
- Extruded aluminum crossbars hold up to 100 pounds and feature T-Slots on all four sides designed for non-traditional attachments such as hanging skis or fishing poles from the bottom.
- Side mounted, blow-molded plastic, tool bins can hold up to 60 pounds and feature double wall construction, providing a watertight, thermal barrier that keeps beverages cold when used as a cooler.
- Push button lock on the bins automatically keys itself to the first ignition key that is turned in the lock, enabling the owner to use one key for all the bins.
- Standard tachometer on F-150 XL and STX with manual transmission.
- Power Code ä Remote Start System available as a factory-installed option.
- Manual telescoping Trailer Tow Mirrors with Power Glass and Chrome Skull Caps available with F-150 XLT and Lariat Chrome Packages.
- A Tire Pressure Monitoring System is included in the Heavy Duty Package.
- Two new exterior colors: Stone Green on all models and Mahogany on the King Ranch.
- Body colored front and rear bumpers, fascia, wheel lip moldings, door handle bezels with chrome strap and a billet-style grille accented with a chrome surround.
- Deluxe mirrors with body color skullcaps.
- 22-inch polished, forged aluminum wheels with painted accents and special Limited identification.
- Four-inch polished, stainless steel tubular running boards and chrome exhaust tip.
- Dark Shadow Gray headlamps and smoked taillamps.
- Two-tone leather captain’s chairs, leather steering wheel and shift knob.
- Accent color on console lid; door panel.
- Unique instrument cluster face.
- Power side exterior mirrors.
- AM/FM stereo clock with CD.
- Color-coordinated carpet and floor mats.
- Overhead console.
- 40/20/40-split cloth front seat with manual driver lumbar.
Ford F-Series, America’s best-selling full-size pickup for 30 years, is the culmination of nearly 60 years of Built Ford Tough reliability, power and presence. F-Series sets the standard for strength and toughness with more trucks on the road with more than 250,000 miles than any other brand.
With a maximum tow rating of 11,000 pounds when properly equipped and maximum payload capacity of 3,050 pounds, the F-150 is the most capable full-size pickup in its class.
The Ford F-150 offers the industry’s widest variety of body configurations, including three cab choices, three box lengths, two box styles and five unique series: the entry-level F-150 XL, fun and athletic F-150 STX, all-purpose F-150 XLT, off-road ready F-150 FX4, and the luxurious F-150 Lariat – to which the King Ranch version adds even more luxury. All cabs feature four doors for easy access.
New Features Add Convenience and Security
The F-150 continues the tradition of providing innovative new features designed to meet the ever-changing needs of today’s truck customers, including the factory-installed Cargo Management System and Rearview Camera.
The Cargo Management System is a factory-installed feature, available on any truck with the 6.5-ft. Styleside box. It provides a simple, easy-to-use solution for secure storage of all types of cargo. The basic system comes with two side rails, a pair of bins, a pair of crossbars and a header bar. Extra bins and crossbars are easily added when extra capability and flexibility is needed:
The Rearview Camera System is mounted in the tailgate handle bezel and is activated when the vehicle is shifted into reverse, giving the driver a clear view behind the vehicle. The video image is displayed in the self-dimming rearview mirror, a natural place for the driver to look while in reverse. For those truckers that tow, this system gives them the visibility they need to back up to their trailer and lineup precisely to hook up the hitch.
Additional new features for 2008 include:
2008 Adds More Choices to an Already Stellar Line-up
Ford further expands an already unmatched lineup of more than 60 unique F-Series with the addition of the new Lariat Limited package, a Wheels and Stripes Package on the F-150 STX and the first-time availability of an F-150 XL SuperCrew with either 5.5- or 6.5-ft. Styleside box.
The Limited Package adds a special flair to the Lariat SuperCrew and features a custom White Sand Metallic, monochromatic paint scheme and unique features inside and out including:
The F-150 XL SuperCrew , available for the first time, will be a favorite of value-conscious customers looking for all the flexibility offered in a crew cab pick-up. It comes standard with:
To compliment the F-150’s best-in-class towing capability, customers can opt for a set of manual trailer tow mirrors available across the entire F-150 lineup. The fully adjustable mirrors measure 8.2-inches wide by 13.7-inches high and extend out 3.5 inches.
Fleet owners can choose an innovative mid-box, mounted in front of the standard pickup bow and behind the cab that provides lockable storage for tools and other valuable items.
The rugged, steel construction features double-paneled doors that are accessible from both sides of the vehicle and lock and unlock with the same key that operates the driver’s door. Latches feature double-bitted keys and lock tumblers designed to provide exceptional security.
Dent-resistant exterior door panels wear factory Ford door handles for a well integrated look and feature commercial grade sealing delivering a weather- and dust-resistant interior compartment.
The mid-box is available on Regular Cab with 145-inch wheelbase and SuperCab with 163-inch wheelbase in Oxford White monototone exterior paint.
Bold Design, Inside and Out
Tall-shouldered and proud, the F-150 profile features a self-assured, “planted” stance. The bold front end conveys strength with quad-circle-styled headlamps, designed in clusters, and incorporates a wrap-around fascia treatment that communicates refined sophistication and precision. The front doors feature Ford’s signature stepped-down truck beltline.
Inside, F-150 boasts passenger comfort and head-turning style. Three different instrument cluster designs give each series a distinctive look. All models feature an upscale two-tone instrument panel.
The flow-through center console gives customers the option of two captain’s chairs with a floor shifter on FX4 and Lariat models. The floor shifter, another F-150 first, is a sophisticated design, detailed in warm steel and chrome. Vehicles equipped with a 40/20/40-split-front-bench seat have a different instrument panel center stack optimized for middle-passenger legroom.
Confident Power and Capable Chassis
F-150 offers three engine choices: a 4.2-liter V-6 engine, a 4.6-liter Triton™ V-8 and the top-of-the-line 5.4-liter, three-valve Triton V-8.
The 5.4-liter Triton V-8 engine delivers 300 horsepower at 5,000 rpm and 365 pound-feet of torque at 3,750 rpm. A flex-fuel version can run on E85.
Segment-first torque-based electronic throttle control uses driver input from the accelerator pedal to actively modulate the torque at the drive wheels. The technology produces a seamless and consistent engine response, improved fuel economy and enhanced integration of vehicle systems, such as the transmission, variable camshaft timing, vehicle speed control and idle speed control.
Engineering advances in the F-150 lead to exceptional handling, ride and quietness. The fully boxed frame with hydroformed front rails is the strongest in its class and reduces shake and shudder on rough roads. Liquid-filled engine mounts, or “hydromounts” on the V-8 engine, stifle much of the engine’s noise and vibration before it can reach the passenger compartment.
Both 4×2 and 4×4 models use coil-on-shock, long-spindle, double-wishbone front suspension. The suspension reduces unsprung weight to help provide better ride and stability on choppy, broken surfaces.
The Hotchkiss-design rear suspension has been optimized with rear shock absorbers placed outboard of the frame rails for a smoother ride and improved control of body lean.
Safety and Security
The strong hydroformed front frame rails are built to help manage crash forces. Upon impact, these areas of the frame are designed to collapse in an accordion fashion, dissipating energy before it reaches the passenger compartment.
As a result, F-150 has earned The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s 5-star rating for driver and right-front-passenger frontal crash rating. It also received a “Good” rating in frontal offset crash testing performed by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.
The F-150’s portfolio of safety features includes the Ford Personal Safety System® and occupant-sensing technology for the first-row passenger. The frontal air bags offer multiple deployment levels that tailor inflation force to the severity of the crash.
The Personal Safety System also includes height adjustable safety belts with pretensioners and energy management retractors.
Four-wheel, vented-disc, anti-lock brakes are standard. F-150 4×2 V-8 models can be ordered with Traction Assist to improve acceleration and stability on slippery surfaces.
Major Features and Options
XL includes: Argent front and rear bumpers; black grille and front fascia; interval wipers; 17-inch steel wheels; air conditioning (SuperCab); AM/FM audio system; black vinyl floor covering; interior map lights and vinyl 40/20/40-split-front seat with manual driver lumbar support.
STX adds: Body-color front and rear step bumpers and grille surround; air conditioning (Regular Cab); AM/FM audio system with single CD player and cloth 40/20/40-split-front seat with manual driver lumbar support.
XLT adds: Chrome front and rear bumpers; black honeycomb grille insert; remote keyless entry; power exterior mirrors; automatic headlamps; carpeting and floor mats; power locks and windows; privacy glass; outside temperature and compass display; and premium cloth 40/20/40-split-front seat with manual driver lumbar support.
FX4 adds: Body-color front and rear bumpers (with monotone paint) or Dark Shadow Grey front and rear bumpers (with two-tone paint); black “bar style” grille insert; wheel-lip moldings; 18-inch machined cast aluminum wheels; keyless entry keypad; black leather-wrapped steering wheel; black rubber off-road floor mats; sport cloth 40/20/40-split-front seat with manual driver and passenger lumbar support.
Lariat adds: Chrome (monotone) or Arizona Beige two-tone front and rear bumpers; chrome grille surround with Light Arizona Beige honeycomb insert; power heated side mirrors with integral turn signal; 18-inch bright aluminum wheels; electronic automatic temperature control; rear window defroster; carpeting and floor mats; message center with trip computer; leather-wrapped steering wheel with duplicate controls; power-adjustable driver’s seat and leather-trimmed seating surfaces.
Selected options include: SIRIUS satellite radio; auxiliary audio input jack; navigation system; overhead rail storage system; traction assist; power-fold heated side mirrors; mechanical or automatic shift-on-the-fly four-wheel-drive; skid plates; limited slip axle; 35.7-gallon fuel tank; fog lamps; two-tone paint; various appearance upgrade packages; power-adjustable pedals; power-sliding rear window; reverse sensing system; six-disc CD changer; audiophile audio system; heavy-duty payload package; trailer tow package; snow-plow prep package; work truck package and rear-seat entertainment system.
The F-150 is built in Kansas City, Mo. and in Dearborn, Mich.
About Ford Motor Company