2008 Expedition Overview
- Four Series Available: XLT, Eddie Bauer, Limited and a new King Ranch model complete Expeditions lineup.
- Added convenience. A newly available Rearview Camera System enhances visibility when driving in reverse or hooking up a trailer.
- More Standard Features: Expeditions value story enhanced for 2008 with keyless entry keypad, electrochromic mirror, heated power mirrors, overhead console, illuminated visors and leather-wrapped steering wheel becoming standard on all Expedition models.
- Interior Comfort and Versatility: First-in-class PowerFold third-row seat and class-exclusive second-row CenterSlide allow interior to be configured to owners needs. Expedition also boasts best-in-class third-row legroom.
- Enhanced Capability: Expedition EL delivers 130.8 cubic feet of cargo space including 24 cubic feet more behind the third-row seat than the already spacious Expedition.
- Comprehensive Safety: Standard side air bags, three-row Safety Canopy side air curtains and AdvanceTrac® with RSC® (Roll Stability Control).
- Power running boards that automatically extend when doors open to ease exit and entry into the vehicle.
- A Rearview Camera System for greater visibility when driving in reverse or hooking up a trailer. Mounted in the rear liftgate, the rearview camera is activated when the vehicle is shifted into reverse, giving the driver a clear view behind the vehicle. The video image is displayed in the self-dimming rearview mirror.
- Body-color front and rear fascia, wheel lip moldings and side cladding replaces black color on previous model XLT.
- A new 18-inch chrome clad wheel option on XLT models.
- Keyless entry keypad, electrochromic mirror, heated power mirrors, leather-wrapped steering wheel, auxiliary A/C, full overhead console, illuminated visors, second-row map lights are now standard on all models.
- Chrome exhaust tip now standard on Eddie Bauer models.
- Power adjustable pedals, power rear quarter windows, universal garage door opener and Reverse Sensing System are now standard on Limited and King Ranch models for interior convenience.
- Fords exclusive AdvanceTrac® with RSC® (Roll Stability Control) is standard on both Expedition and Expedition EL. Unlike competitors systems, Fords system utilizes two gyroscopic roll rate sensors to accurately measure the vehicles yaw and roll angles. If the roll rate sensor detects a significant roll angle, the system applies additional countermeasures such as applying brakes to one or more wheels or reducing engine power to help the driver maintain control.
- Safety Canopy side-curtain air bags rollover detection system includes extended-duration side curtain air bags featuring roll-fold technology that extend down to the beltline for increased coverage.
- Dual-stage front air bags deploy with varying power based on crash severity, the drivers seat position and safety-belt usage. Expedition uses environmentally responsible heated-gas hydrogen inflators for the passenger air bag.
- Seat-mounted front side air bags provide extra protection in the event of a side impact
- Expeditions door trim features a unique design that works with the standard seat-mounted side air bags to enhance occupant safety in a side impact.
The 2008 Ford Expedition and Expedition EL extended length model combine bold Ford Truck design, functionality and toughness with high levels of interior refinement for consumers who need the flexibility of a full-size SUV. With eight available arrays across the lineup, Expedition and Expedition EL provide customers the most choice amongst full-size SUV offerings.
According to results from a Global Quality Research Study survey conducted by the RDA Group, an independent research company, 85 percent of Expedition EL owners are Completely Satisfied with their vehicles after three months of ownership, placing the Expedition EL at the top of its class for quality. Additionally, Expedition EL was rated top large SUV as a Total Quality Award winner in Strategic Visions 2007 Total Quality Index which measures new vehicle owner satisfaction.
Expedition and Expedition EL are available in XLT, Eddie Bauer, Limited and King Ranch trims. All Expeditions are built at the Michigan Truck Plant in Wayne, Mich.
New King Ranch Edition joins a comprehensive lineup
The interior features exclusive King Ranch Chaparral leather seating on all three rows of seats, center console lid and door trim panel inserts with wood trim on the switch plates, floor console, shifter handle and instrument panel. The leather-wrapped tilt steering wheel features duplicate climate & radio controls and Chaparral leather insert. The King Ranch comes standard with the PowerFold third-row seat.
Two additional options are being introduced across the lineup as well, including:
The XLT, Eddie Bauer and Limited packages also receive several updates for 2008, including:
Comfortable and Capable
For example, Expeditions seats are designed with large bolsters, soft cushions and premium materials to provide increased comfort on long trips. Expeditions seating also is very capable. Expedition XLT features six-way power-adjustable front seats, with a 10-way-power drivers seat standard on all models with leather trim.
One-lever action, kneel-down, 40/20/40-split second-row seats are the first in Expeditions class to fold flat with the load floor to offer extra cargo space and easy third-row access.
Available on XLT and standard on all other models, Expeditions 60/40-split third-row seats provide best-in-class legroom.
Both second- and third-row seats fold flat into the load floor, providing easily accessible cargo space without the inconvenience of removing a heavy, cumbersome rear seat. For the ultimate in convenience, Expedition offers a first-in-class available PowerFold third-row seat that folds flat with the touch of a button.
Navigation System, MP3 Audio, Satellite Radio
An available 340-watt AM/FM audio system is MP3 capable and features an in-dash six-CD changer with six premium speakers, plus a subwoofer. Expedition comes standard with an audio input jack with plug-and-play iPod capability. Expedition owners may also choose factory-installed SIRIUS® Satellite Radio and the family-entertainment DVD system with a large 8-inch flush-mounted flat-panel display and two sets of remote-control infrared headphones.
Expedition EL Extends Full-Size Appeal
Expedition EL is unique from the B-pillar back with its own floor pan, one-piece body side, running boards, rear fascia, roof rack, rear quarter glass, one-piece headliner and quarter panel trim. The second-row doors are also unique to improve the ingress and egress to both second and third rows.
Bold Styling Sets Tone for Tough Expedition
Expeditions prominent grille serves as the focal point for the raised powerdome hood. Dual-beam headlamps feature the Ford-themed step-up design with the integrated side-marker lights wrapping around into the front fenders.
Improved Road-Cruising Quietness
Large, soft body mounts and engine and transmission mounts isolate the cabin from unwanted vibration. Wind tunnel-tuned-and-tested outside mirrors further reduces wind and road noise. Even Expeditions tires have been specifically tuned to reduce road noise.
Chassis Provides Solid Foundation
The chassis features an independent front suspension, front frame section and modular front-end construction for ease of assembly and quality. The tube-through-tube frame construction adds additional frame stiffness to provide a solid foundation for improved driving dynamics. Fords patented porthole-through-frame design allows the drive shafts to feed through the frame rails, lowering the center of gravity for better ride and handling and maximizing passenger space in the third-row seat.
The 2008 Expeditions first-in-class independent rear suspension (IRS) features a five-link design for better control of fore/aft and lateral load forces. Monotube shocks on all four corners allow for precise tuning and a refined ride.
A variable boost steering pump uses lightweight aluminum components to reduce steering efforts for easy maneuverability at slow speeds while delivering a firm, responsive feel at highway speeds.
Large front and rear brake calipers and rotors provide for a durable braking system with excellent stopping power. A dual-bore master cylinder delivers a confident brake pedal feel offering more control over the brake curve.
4×4 Capability, Tough Truck Standards
The 4×4 models have two-speed transfer cases with optional electronic shift-on-the-fly capability, controlled from a dash-mounted rotary knob. In low range, the electronic throttle control changes to a special off-road calibration for more precise torque management in the worst conditions, such as a sandy hill climb or when pulling a heavy boat out of the water on a moss-slicked ramp.
5.4-Liter V-8 Mated to Fuel-Efficient 6-Speed Transmission
The Triton engine is paired with a standard class-exclusive 6-speed automatic transmission. With a wide 6.02:1 gear ratio and two overdrive gears (fifth and sixth), Expeditions 6-speed transmission has smaller steps between gears than a typical 4-speed automatic and offers improved shift quality, faster acceleration and improved fuel economy.
Standard Safety Features include AdvanceTrac® with RSC® (Roll Stability Control)
Expedition offers a long list of standard safety content for 2008 including:
Key Features and Options:
Available options include: Rearview Camera System; Power deployable running boards; 18-inch chrome aluminum wheels; Premium leather seats; Rear Seat DVD Entertainment System; Power moonroof; Power Liftgate; Heavy Duty Trailer Tow Package; Premium Stereo; Navigation system; SIRIUS® Satellite Radio; Power adjustable pedals; Heated and cooled front-row seats; Second-row Captain’s Chairs; PowerFold fold-flat third-row seat; Black luggage rack crossbars; 4×4 Off-Road Package; Convenience Package.