1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 F250 AC Clutch Not Engaging Properly

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 06:41 AM
stbird
Junior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 F250 AC Clutch Not Engaging Properly

My AC quit working and upon getting serviced at my friends house he noticed that the ac clutch was barely moving but not fully engaging. If he gave it a little tap it would start spinning. I have been reading other AC clutch threads on here and am wondering could my problem be caused by an excessive air gap or could there be another problem? Truck has 165,000 miles. Also, maybe a coincidence or maybe not, while working on the ac I realized my alternator had died. Put a new alternator in and found out that one was bad also. Could the alternator not charging keep the ac clutch from engaging properly?

Thanks, Steve

Old 07-17-2019, 11:00 AM
ashleyroachclip
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Both can cause the problem you are having .
Get the charging system working properly first , the gap can be adjusted with shims , either adding or removing .

Old 07-17-2019, 02:30 PM
stbird
Junior User
Originally Posted by ashleyroachclip
Both can cause the problem you are having .
Get the charging system working properly first , the gap can be adjusted with shims , either adding or removing .
Thanks, new alternator tested fine so battery and alternator must have died together. I'll replace both tonight and see what happens.

Old 07-17-2019, 07:58 PM
stbird
Junior User
Originally Posted by stbird
Thanks, new alternator tested fine so battery and alternator must have died together. I'll replace both tonight and see what happens.
Put in new battery and alternator. Good news is the ac works, bad news is the battery light is still flashing on and off and only 12 amps at the battery. What could be the issue?

Old 07-17-2019, 08:05 PM
stbird
Junior User
Put in new battery and alternator. Good news is the ac works, bad news is the battery light is still flashing on and off and only 12 amps at the battery. What could be the issue?
I also noticed this wire that appears to be lose and maybe connects to that black piece. Is this an issue?

The connector right below the oil cap has a black wire coming off of it that isn’t connected to anything. It looks like it potentially used to connect to that little black thing right behind it?

Old 07-17-2019, 09:23 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 872 Likes on 724 Posts
Looks like an RFI cap. It just keeps the ignition system from making too much electrical noise that might, for example, drown out AM radio reception. Not essential for engine operation or for the charging system to function.

As far as the battery not charging, either the alternator is still bad, something is hooked up wrong, or there's a fault in the control circuits.

Have you gone through the diagnostic procedure?

Old 07-18-2019, 06:06 AM
stbird
Junior User
Originally Posted by projectSHO89
Looks like an RFI cap. It just keeps the ignition system from making too much electrical noise that might, for example, drown out AM radio reception. Not essential for engine operation or for the charging system to function.

As far as the battery not charging, either the alternator is still bad, something is hooked up wrong, or there's a fault in the control circuits.

My AM radio reception is terrible when the truck is running. I have not gone through the diagnostic procedure. Where do I find that? The alternator was tested at Autozone and was ok they said.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:07 AM
stbird
Junior User
Originally Posted by projectSHO89

Can I order a new RFI Cap and if so what should I search for? I tried searching for RFI cap on Autozone website and nothing came up. Is there another name for it?

Old 07-19-2019, 10:09 AM
stbird
Junior User
My AM radio reception is terrible when the truck is running. I have not gone through the diagnostic procedure. Where do I find that? The alternator was tested at Autozone and was ok they said.
I did a diagnostic I found on another thread that tells me that all of my wires from the alternator are intact including fusible links. The conclusion from the author is that my alternator is bad even if it tested out ok so I'm going to changeout my alternator with another new one. Hopefully that works!

Old 07-19-2019, 01:27 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 872 Likes on 724 Posts
Can I order a new RFI Cap and if so what should I search for? I tried searching for RFI cap on Autozone website and nothing came up. Is there another name for it?
You probably won't find it at an auto parts store.

Ford Part No.: F6AZ-18801-A

Again, not the issue with your A/C.
so I'm going to changeout my alternator with another new one. Hopefully that works!
Have the drone behind the parts counter test it on their machine before you leave the store. Significantly improves your odds of getting a serviceable alternator.