6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

First oil change - 2014 F250 diesel

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 10:00 PM
tradosaurus
More Turbo
Received 134 Likes on 99 Posts
First oil change - 2014 F250 diesel

Having bought my 2014 F250 diesel last October I finally got to the point where I decided to change my oil at 6,000 miles since the last oil change. I've read about how messy the oil filter change can be and needing a different drain plug like the Fumoto.
Having changed oil in many different types of my own vehicles for the past 35 yrs this was one of easiest as I didn't have to use ramps.
I did buy a new oil drain plug because the existing plug threads were somewhat galled and the plug was a bit hard to remove. Probably was the original drain plug.
I used 13 qts of 5W/40 Shell Rotella T6 and a Motorcraft FL2051S Oil Filter. I did use an open top 5 gallon oil drain pan to catch the oil however what I will do different is empty the oil after the truck oil pan is empty BEFORE changing the oil filter. The oil filter becomes slick with oil and if it had dropped in 3/4 full 5 gallon container the splash would have sent oil out of the pan. I did fill the oil filter before installing but I rarely if ever have done so. I only did it because the oil filter installs in the vertical position.
I don't see the big issue with needing a special drain plug nor puncturing the oil filter before loosening.

Old 07-13-2019, 10:30 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
To each their own on how one changes their oil. Not everyone had a jacked up 4x4. Nor can we get a 5 gal pail underneath the filter nor the drain plug even on ramps. The EZ Oil Drain Valve I have, very similar to Fumoto, makes it easier for me to use a smaller pail or empty DEF container to drain my oil.

I take a small mop pail and let the oil filter drain into it after i punch a hole. There is one person says they use a shop style vacuum to pull a vacuum on the engine by removing the oil cap and covering it with the vac hose. They say they can change the filter with no leaks or drips.

It is a toss up on whether to pre-fill the filter or not. I don't pre-fill my filter.

But, by all means, use your way if it suits your style and you are happy with your method.

Old 07-14-2019, 03:09 AM
lynnmor
More Turbo
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by tradosaurus
Having changed oil in many different types of my own vehicles for the past 35 yrs this was one of easiest as I didn't have to use ramps.
I agree and don't understand the fuss about punching holes and needing valves that restricts the flow. I too fill the oil filter on any engine where that is possible, pumping air thru the lubricating system is best avoided.

Old 07-14-2019, 05:57 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
I have the ez oil drain and put a hose on the end to drain. While that is occurring I do the filter, grease the front knuckles and drain the fuel filter.

I also use a gallon miik carton, to catch the oil filter.

I don't bother to put oil in the filter when putting up the new one.

Old 07-14-2019, 08:32 AM
tradosaurus
More Turbo
I've never heard of any issues with those easy drain oil valves used to replace the oil drain plugs.
I just have this fear that road debris might damage the valve and cause a catastrophic engine failure due to loss of oil.
Even with the easy drain oil valves I would still have to use ramps on my smaller vehicles.
And if you want to have fun change the oil on a Mazda Miata.

Old 07-14-2019, 10:51 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
I can understand your concerns on the EZ Oil Drain valve or the Fumoto valve. I have has the EZ Oil Drain valve on my truck for the last 4 years and 40,000 miles. I do have the clip on the valve as a safety.

Old 07-14-2019, 04:01 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Received 6,362 Likes on 4,621 Posts
I've thought the same in the past but our drain ports/holes are on the side of the pan and on the rear. Highly unlikely that something would affect it but if you had one of those 90 degree elbows on there that maybe hung below the pan, something might catch. And if the truck is used off road often or for rock climbing. You know what they say...opinions, every body got one.

Old 07-14-2019, 07:46 PM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Just Strokin
I can understand your concerns on the EZ Oil Drain valve or the Fumoto valve. I have has the EZ Oil Drain valve on my truck for the last 4 years and 40,000 miles. I do have the clip on the valve as a safety.

Is that hose clamp sitting in a "grove" and that is what prevents the lever from dumping oil?

The Fumoto uses a blue plastic clip that prevents the lever from movement. If the clip is in place the valve will not drain oil.

I have the Fumoto SX version on my truck and the fitting hangs below the pan. I don't offroad my truck (muddy dirt road requiring 4wd is the worst it sees) and don't have any issues but I would not recommend it for someone that offroads to the point of having debris hit the pan.

Old 07-14-2019, 08:22 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by dirthawg
Is that hose clamp sitting in a "grove" and that is what prevents the lever from dumping oil?

The Fumoto uses a blue plastic clip that prevents the lever from movement. If the clip is in place the valve will not drain oil.

I have the Fumoto SX version on my truck and the fitting hangs below the pan. I don't offroad my truck (muddy dirt road requiring 4wd is the worst it sees) and don't have any issues but I would not recommend it for someone that offroads to the point of having debris hit the pan.
They both perform the same function. It is just a matter of how they implemented the fail safe to assure people's sanity. The clip is readily available without buying it from EZ Drain as it is nothing more than a hose clamp used on some fuel likes.

Old 07-14-2019, 08:30 PM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
They both perform the same function. It is just a matter of how they implemented the fail safe to assure people's sanity. The clip is readily available without buying it from EZ Drain as it is nothing more than a hose clamp used on some fuel likes.
Yes, I understand what the clip is on the EZ drain valve. I use them on fuel lines and such in the past.

My question is, does the clip sit inside a recess? I looks like there is a taper or grove in the drain valve fitting to allow the clip to sit in. Or is the fuel line clamp only steadfast from the spring tension of the camp itself?

Old 07-14-2019, 08:40 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
It sits in the slot the arm uses to limit the turning radius. It sits in it very tightly.

Over time, probably less chance of its fit becoming loose to the point of maybe not clipping/popping into place?

Old 07-14-2019, 08:50 PM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
It sits in the slot the arm uses to limit the turning radius. It sits in it very tightly.
Okay, thanks.

Old 07-15-2019, 05:19 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
Guess I am in trouble. Been using the EZ drain for several years. No clip or anything to hold it in place. I just use the slot it fits in.

Never thought twice about t.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:20 AM
tradosaurus
More Turbo
For something I might use every 8 months or so I don't see the advantage but it does seem like there is a market. I bet the car mfg's don't provide them from the factory because of potential liability.
I guess I'm a glutton for punishment with 6 cars in my household.

Old 07-15-2019, 08:20 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by tradosaurus
For something I might use every 8 months or so I don't see the advantage but it does seem like there is a market. I bet the car mfg's don't provide them from the factory because of potential liability.
I guess I'm a glutton for punishment with 6 cars in my household.
I agree on the average vehicle oil change that uses 6 quarts or less. But, when you go to 13 or 14 quarts and have a major spill of the oil catch container or need to swap oil catch containers midstream, it is worth the cost. Most of use are DIY type peeps and enjoy the convenience of not having to clean up an oil spill in the driveway.

Also, how often do we toss $30 at something for the truck that has no beneficial benefits? Many it is pretty often occurance.

JMHO is all. To each their own devices and whims.

Quick Reply: First oil change - 2014 F250 diesel