2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

I wish my tailgate did all that neat stuff like the GM ---NO!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 07:29 AM
Chrislorl6211
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wish my tailgate did all that neat stuff like the GM ---NO!

So GM now acknowledged that you cannot have a hitch/ball in the receiver and open your tailgate step at the same time.... MAJOR FAIL.

GM Authority Tailgate story

Old 06-26-2019, 07:35 AM
Joe T
Lead Driver
Received 931 Likes on 733 Posts
And only thing gm had going was those notches in the side of the bumper.

Old 06-26-2019, 07:37 AM
Kaadk
More Turbo
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
To the contrary, access to the bed with a hitch is identical to any other pickup truck on the market.

The article got this part wrong. The Ford tailgate step is fully deployable and usable with a hitch installed. Maybe not with a trailer hooked up to the hitch, but with just a hitch, fully functional.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:08 AM
tony m 6.7
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I really like the idea of that tailgate. I just see it falling apart sooner than later. GMC=Garage Man's Companion.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:14 AM
George C
Cargo Master
Received 504 Likes on 294 Posts
The whole Howie Long “man step” commercial was puzzling to begin with and an utter failure in advertising. It set GM so far back, and then the bumper steps? I own a GMC, and they suck.
Ford’s step is such a simple and superior design.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:29 AM
tony m 6.7
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When I purchased my first Super Duty back in 2012 one of the key features was the tailgate step. It was simple, although it did stick up a bit when loading pallets but I just made a point of watching and guiding the forklift drivers on the occasion that it was loaded by forklift. The new one works better having a level tailgate deck now. Still so much simpler than the GM design and serves the purpose of getting my old fat *** up in the bed. GM was a great company at one time, innovators and leaders, but since the buyout they have gone nothing but backwards. That's what happens when you let the government dictate your future. I do give them kudos, however for getting back into the medium duty truck market.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:09 AM
Lariatdriver
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
GM has really upped their game. Their 2020 truck brings more GVWR to the party plus an innovative tail gate. We don’t have to buy GM trucks to admire their changes. Finally they are going to be competitive.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:11 AM
puddintank
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Does it open on its own at random times though?

Old 06-26-2019, 09:22 AM
George C
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Lariatdriver
GM has really upped their game. Their 2020 truck brings more GVWR to the party plus an innovative tail gate. We don’t have to buy GM trucks to admire their changes. Finally they are going to be competitive.
Admire their changes? Well yes I agree. There are admirable changes which GM should be proud of, and then there is this..
In trying to make a better mouse trap, they have over complicated the simple task of a tailgate step. The couldn’t replicate something as simple and effective as the Ford step because of its patent and simple design, and then even more puzzling, they invested millions in Howie Long and national advertising bashing it.
Unless there is some measure of sensing a hitch ball in the receiver, there will be a ton of happy body shops fixing little round 2 5/8” dents.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:35 AM
Lariatdriver
More Turbo
Originally Posted by George C
Admire their changes? Well yes I agree. There are admirable changes which GM should be proud of, and then there is this..
In trying to make a better mouse trap, they have over complicated the simple task of a tailgate step. The couldn’t replicate something as simple and effective as the Ford step because of its patent and simple design, plus they invested millions in Howie Long and national advertising bashing it.
Unless there is some measure of sensing a hitch ball in the receiver, there will be a ton of happy body shops fixing little round 2 5/8” dents.
Somethings are not operator proof.

Old 06-26-2019, 09:43 AM
davidpacificnw
Laughing Gas
Received 150 Likes on 86 Posts
In trying to make a better mouse trap, they have over complicated the simple task of a tailgate step. The couldn’t replicate something as simple and effective as the Ford step because of its patent and simple design, and then even more puzzling, they invested millions in Howie Long and national advertising bashing it.
I was at the la auto show last year at press day and the GM guy was trying to demo this. Five minutes later he gave up. I just laughed and walked away. It's very gimmickie. Maybe someone should stop watching transformers at work?

Old 06-26-2019, 09:55 AM
George C
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Lariatdriver
Somethings are not operator proof.
Agree, but engineering “operator proof” should be number one on the criteria list when beginning to design a new product. Engineering a definite issue will be major sore spot down the road for GM.
Call it Howie Karma..

Old 06-26-2019, 10:03 AM
Lariatdriver
More Turbo
Agree, but engineering “operator proof” should be number one on the criteria list when beginning to engineer a new product.
This will be a very sore spot down the road for GM.
Call it Howie Karma..
You are talking Disneyland. You can’t fix stupid no matter how well you design something. You can lower a tailgate on a ford too, so far I avoided denting my new truck with the hitch.

I think their new tailgate is very useful for the average pickup owner, but it’s true these aren’t old beater trucks from the 60’s.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:36 AM
CPal
Tuned
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I've been curious to see if one can just drop top half of tailgate to connect 5th wheel hitch much as one would with a V tailgate. I get you still have to close top tailgate and such but would be nice to have that many more inches for hooking up. Right now if I leave tailgate down I risk serious impact with my camper if not 100% straight on with tailgate down meaning having to pull hitch in bed/flip up gate then continue the connection. Would be nice sometimes to eliminate this step.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:46 AM
acadianbob
Cargo Master
Received 527 Likes on 297 Posts
GM doesn't have much to claim so the tailgate is a big deal for them. They also have more levels to chose from than any other brand. Woopee! They may be headed for permanent residence in third place.

Quick Reply: I wish my tailgate did all that neat stuff like the GM ---NO!