2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

They're talking about GM deat wobble on the news.

Old 06-25-2019, 04:50 PM
2019er
Laughing Gas
Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts
They're talking about GM deat wobble on the news.

They extended the warranty to 100k miles on the issue. It's going to take people getting killed before anything is done. SMDH.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:14 PM
pdose
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I didn’t see anything about death wobble but I did see the class action lawsuit for the Chevy shake. But that’s vibrations from the transmission or rear end. I had that on my ‘17 1500. It’s very different than white-knuckled death wobble

Old 06-25-2019, 06:25 PM
blueiron
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jeep Wranglers and CJs have had death wobble issues for decades. So have Dodge/Ram, GM, and Ford solid axle 4wd systems.

Undoubtedly, some have died when they were unable to control their vehicles.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:34 PM
2019er
Laughing Gas
Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts
Ah - I didn't know it was a different issue. Thanks for the update.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:40 PM
Louisville Joe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts
It's a different problem. The GM trucks have a slight but noticeable vibration, feels like an out-of-balance wheel. Random problem, not many have the issue but it's very hard to track down. IFS is really incapable of having 'death wobble'. IFS can have a shimmy if ball joints and tie rod ends are very badly worn.

Old 06-25-2019, 08:04 PM
kry226
Fleet Mechanic
Received 382 Likes on 214 Posts
I bet it's the AAM axles they share with the Ram. Had vibes in my 04 Cummins, and apparently Ram is still dealing with the vibes as recently as 2018.

Old 06-25-2019, 08:44 PM
Section179
Fleet Mechanic
Received 160 Likes on 88 Posts
“Deat wobble”? I think it’s called Debt Wobble. When you spend too much on a truck and you shake every time you drive it.

Old 06-25-2019, 08:52 PM
willynilly
Fleet Mechanic
Received 344 Likes on 210 Posts
Originally Posted by kry226
I bet it's the AAM axles they share with the Ram. Had vibes in my 04 Cummins, and apparently Ram is still dealing with the vibes as recently as 2018.
gm and ram arent the same aam. nor is a 2018 aam the same as your 04. you must be refering to the couple vibration threads on turbodeisel register ? its hardly a problem or there would be alot more posts about it. but besides that , those clowns on that site dont even know what theyre talking about. driveshaft , tires , wheels, bearings, axle shaft, they dont even know what is causing the vibration. one guy says he changed gear oil and the vibration was gone. whatever , its his story to tell how he wants i guess.

Old 06-26-2019, 02:35 AM
Louisville Joe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts
That would be hilarious because Chrysler dropped Dana-Spicer axles and went with AAM because the Dana's were too noisy!

Old 06-26-2019, 04:47 AM
BillyE
Fleet Mechanic
Received 202 Likes on 111 Posts
If it’s transmission related, I can understand. I know four people with 2016 Chevy/GMC 1500s who have needed major transmission work or replacement.

Old 06-26-2019, 05:05 AM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,695 Likes on 1,314 Posts
Yes, while spending time on Ram and Cummins forums, the 4th Gen trucks had a known problem with a shake/shimmy/vibration on the highway. As far as I know, to this day no one knows what the cause is. New buyers visiting the forums are warned to thoroughly test drive the truck to make sure it is not present. I said it in the frame thread here, but I think these ultra-stiff boxed frames have something to do with it. Maybe the frame is just resonating with the road or driveline in such a way that it cannot 'absorb' the shake and passes it onto the cab & driver?
I dunno....just spitballing here...

Old 06-26-2019, 05:17 AM
kry226
Fleet Mechanic
Received 382 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by willynilly
gm and ram arent the same aam. nor is a 2018 aam the same as your 04. you must be refering to the couple vibration threads on turbodeisel register ? its hardly a problem or there would be alot more posts about it. but besides that , those clowns on that site dont even know what theyre talking about. driveshaft , tires , wheels, bearings, axle shaft, they dont even know what is causing the vibration. one guy says he changed gear oil and the vibration was gone. whatever , its his story to tell how he wants i guess.
I'm not as ignorant as you're trying to make me sound.

I chased the vibe in my truck for years. New drive shafts, re-balanced drive shafts, u-joints, tires, wheels, everything except the axle. I've also done more research than the average bear.

A couple of threads? There are tons of threads with thousands of posts on all the Cummins and Ram forums on these same 70 mph vibrations going all the way back to 2003 at the start of the 3rd Gen trucks. The only commonality between all the trucks are the AAM axles, regardless of the minor differences between axle models. This is not an isolated or minor problem. This is a big hairy deal and one of the reasons I now drive a Ford. Ford has its share of problems, but at least it drives smoothly.

Old 06-26-2019, 08:41 AM
tony m 6.7
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
From my understanding, GM had such a widespread issue with highway vibrations and shakes that they redesigned the body and cab mounts to try to mask the problem, but I thought that they never got down to the bottom of the problem. Some were saying that is was a wheel or wheel and tire combination issue, some were saying it was driveline related. On vacation, I met a fellow rider who worked for American Gear and when the subject was brought up he said, "you don't even want to know, we've had rear ends actually breaking in two" and we left it at that.

Old 06-26-2019, 11:09 AM
titus_4
Tuned
Received 119 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by ATC Crazy
Yes, while spending time on Ram and Cummins forums, the 4th Gen trucks had a known problem with a shake/shimmy/vibration on the highway. As far as I know, to this day no one knows what the cause is. New buyers visiting the forums are warned to thoroughly test drive the truck to make sure it is not present. I said it in the frame thread here, but I think these ultra-stiff boxed frames have something to do with it. Maybe the frame is just resonating with the road or driveline in such a way that it cannot 'absorb' the shake and passes it onto the cab & driver?
I dunno....just spitballing here...
As a former Cummins owner and Cummins Forum member (lifetime..haha oops) I remember reading all of those threads. Took a new 4th gen for a test drive when deciding on Ram or Ford and got on the highway and ran it up past 80 right away. The salesman asked what I was doing and I told him I was checking for the mysterious vibration. He laughed and said, "you must read a lot on Cummins Forum." I test drove a few different trucks while I was looking and never ran across one that had it, but if the salesmen know about it, it's got to be pretty widespread.

Old 06-26-2019, 01:10 PM
willynilly
Fleet Mechanic
Received 344 Likes on 210 Posts
I'm not as ignorant as you're trying to make me sound.

I chased the vibe in my truck for years. New drive shafts, re-balanced drive shafts, u-joints, tires, wheels, everything except the axle. I've also done more research than the average bear.

A couple of threads? There are tons of threads with thousands of posts on all the Cummins and Ram forums on these same 70 mph vibrations going all the way back to 2003 at the start of the 3rd Gen trucks. The only commonality between all the trucks are the AAM axles, regardless of the minor differences between axle models. This is not an isolated or minor problem. This is a big hairy deal and one of the reasons I now drive a Ford. Ford has its share of problems, but at least it drives smoothly.
like i said, after reading the threads, its clear most those guys dont know much or which direction to even go. atleast one guy changed his complete axle and still no difference. heres something else to chew on, ive yet to see any posts about the powerwagon axle having any problem, yet its identical to the cummins version, aside from it having a locker instead of limied slip or open. maybe its the carrier, assuming they use different cariers.
im glad your truck is smooth, many arent so lucky. with the many death wobble threads here and all

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: They're talking about GM deat wobble on the news.