6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Anyone have experience or any info on replacing the torque converter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 07:55 PM
Ford.Dude
More Turbo
Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts
Anyone have experience or any info on replacing the torque converter?

Never messed with a torque converter before but I have installed a few transmissions.

Correct me if I'm wrong. From recent research I found that the rear engine cover has to be removed to replace the HPOP. Well the PO replaced the stc fitting and perhaps the HPOP was messed with.

About a year ago I had problems with my starter, truck wouldn't start, replaced starter, had to bump the key a few times SOMETIMES to get the truck to turn over with the new starter. Put in another starter all seemed well.

During the winter I would get a weird metal vibrating sound on a cold start up. Sound would go away after a few secs. The sound would only happen when the outside temp would be around freezing and below. One day after work I had a friend start the truck while I crawled under the truck trying to pinpoint the sound. Definitely coming from the bellhousing. There is a hole in my bellhousing. Was there when I bought the truck. While under the truck I found a bolt lying over the hole. I think the bolt was the cause of my starter problems.

Pretty sure the bolt is from the rear engine cover. Perhaps when the rear cover was reinstalled the bolts weren't torqued correctly and worked loose.

Now upon inspection using a borescope through the housing hole I noticed scoring on the torque converter nuts and the TC itself.

Lately I've noticed loud ticking which I'm 90% certain it's coming from the TC. I'm afraid another bolt is on the way out or there is warping of the flex plat.

Looking for a detailed guide for torque converter removal/install I found a file for download from BD diesel. It seems legit but would like the more knowledgeable to check it out. I'm not sure it's ok to follow.

Future plans are to remove the transmission, replace the TC, inspect rear engine cover for missing bolts and replace bolts as necessary.

I'll upload the file when I find the name. For some reason FTE isn't showing me all my album pics when scrolling through them. Trying to find pics of the bolt.

Old 06-12-2019, 08:23 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
Once the transmission is out of the truck the torque converter just slides off of the input shaft. That's the whole removal process.

Installing a new converter is only slightly harder. The seals on the input shaft need to be held down with Vaseline. Then the converter is slid over the input shaft and you spin it. It needs to drop down three times. It helps if you can stand the transmission on end, but you don't have to do this. Once it's in reinstall the transmission.

Old 06-12-2019, 08:39 PM
Ford.Dude
More Turbo
Mark, thank you very much!

Can't find a way to post the files I have without a million screenshots but here's the bolt believed to come from the cover.

Old 06-12-2019, 11:30 PM
jetjockey99
Laughing Gas
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
With the hole in the trans case and that bolt I think you do need to pull the trans and inspect, that said the rear cover does not have to come off to replace the HPOP, that is all done from the top side unless the branch tubes are damaged and then the rear cover does need to come off. Good luck.

Old 06-13-2019, 06:33 AM
mattdoc88
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That looks like a rear engine cover bolt to me.

Old 06-13-2019, 06:45 AM
HTM101
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mattdoc88
That looks like a rear engine cover bolt to me.
I think so too. There are 6 of those bolts in the area covered by the transmission.

Old 06-13-2019, 08:18 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,075 Likes on 1,405 Posts
They are of the right diameter, the question based on what came out of my motor is are my bolts lengths correct, or is the one you pulled correct? Or has your recover been removed before and too short bolts installed?

Old 06-13-2019, 08:39 AM
HTM101
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well...obviously the damaged bolt isn't a rear cover bolt. The mystery continues....

Old 06-13-2019, 11:47 AM
Ford.Dude
More Turbo
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
They are of the right diameter, the question based on what came out of my motor is are my bolts lengths correct, or is the one you pulled correct? Or has your recover been removed before and too short bolts installed?

TMT, got a top view pic of the bolt?

When I get home I'll check mine if I can find it.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:24 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,075 Likes on 1,405 Posts
As I tried to point out, the history of these motors can alter the situation, and it appears Navistar used a few different suppliers for fasteners. and application. I'm probably more attuned to this from my restoration days on the early Mustangs, where bolts matter.

If you look at the first pic, the washer area under the hex varies.

And these bolts, while the same hex size, length, and strength come from different sources. The rebuilder most likely just prepped old bolts and place them by location. right thread, right length, right strength, good to go.

So during the downtime between rebuild adventures, I prepped bolts, a force of habit, not what this build needs.

These are all over the place.

So as I was trying to say, what I show may not be a good tell of your situation. I can't confirm that these are absolutely correct, but it's the length that was used for my rear cover. Everything I disassembled appeared to have the correct lengths though. Based on length it may be your bolt is coming from the trans pump area, or someone put a shorter bolt in for the rear cover. Maybe I should have stayed out of this thread.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:30 PM
Ford.Dude
More Turbo
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
.. Maybe I should have stayed out of this thread.
Nah TMT. You're good man. It's not a big deal. More interesting than anything else really.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:21 PM
Ford.Dude
More Turbo
I'm getting some things together. Preparation for removing the transmission.

Anyone know what size/type of bolts are needed for the rear engine cover? Would loctite be ok to use on the bolts? Anyone have the torque specs? Anyone care to do this for me??

Old 06-18-2019, 10:30 PM
Ford.Dude
More Turbo
Ah, forgot to mention, I talked to the PO. The rear cover was not removed when he updated stc fitting was installed. They said they never removed or messed with the transmission or rear cover. Although That doesn't mean that it's never been touched.

I would like to have the bolts on hand as soon as the transmission is out. The shorter the downtime the better of course.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:42 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Ford.Dude
I'm getting some things together. Preparation for removing the transmission.

Anyone know what size/type of bolts are needed for the rear engine cover? Would loctite be ok to use on the bolts? Anyone have the torque specs? Anyone care to do this for me??
What year? I can get some PDFs up for you if I have them handy and if I don't I can make them once
I have my hands on my master disk copies. It may take a little longer is all.

Old 06-19-2019, 04:45 AM
Ford.Dude
More Turbo
Sean, those PDFs would be awesome man!

2006 F250 lariat.

Quick Reply: Anyone have experience or any info on replacing the torque converter?