1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

aftermarket digital gauges

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 01:12 PM
dustyroad
Fleet Mechanic
Received 209 Likes on 158 Posts
aftermarket digital gauges

I'm going to purchase some digital gauges for my truck.
Was planning on buying the jegs brand gauges (oil,volt,temp)
Figured I'd look on ebay for other options.
Anyone use the much cheaper ebay digital gauges and how well have they held up?
I can buy all 3 for the price of one from Jegs... They look identical and I'm sure they probably are from the same factory.

Old 05-26-2019, 01:49 PM
The_Scatch
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are you using the classic truck guage bezel to hold them? It's made for standard round face gauges.

Rumor has it Dakota Digital is working on something as well to fit the stock bezel.

Old 05-26-2019, 01:56 PM
dustyroad
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by The_Scatch
Are you using the classic truck guage bezel to hold them? It's made for standard round face gauges.

Rumor has it Dakota Digital is working on something as well to fit the stock bezel.
no I will be using a 3 gauge pod that you mount wherever you want.
This is just to supplement the factory gauges for better feedback.
these are the 2"/2 1/16" round gauges

Old 05-28-2019, 11:46 AM
Olds64
Cargo Master
Received 326 Likes on 281 Posts
I can't comment on the bargain Ebay gauges. I have an AutoMeter pyrometer in my 86 f250. If you're going to get bargain gauges and avoid brands like AutoMeter, Isspro, Glowshift, etc. then get the cheapest ones you can. Nothing wrong with shopping for price, just make sure you get the best deal you can.

BTW, here's a link to a thread about putting gauge pods in a Bullnose. I give another link in this thread as well.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ge-pods-2.html

Old 05-28-2019, 10:20 PM
dustyroad
Fleet Mechanic
I am using analog sunpro gauges and they work great (for a long time now) in my other truck. I just wish to avoid running the "tubes" again.
I have nothing against those brands, other than the cost is ridiculous. Seems more like bragging rights than functionality.
In this day and age as well, Even if they are assembled in the USA, the digital guts came from the same factory in china.
Guess I'll be the test pig.

Old 05-28-2019, 11:26 PM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
Received 114 Likes on 97 Posts
Bosch gauges are good quality and reasonably priced.

Old 05-31-2019, 07:40 PM
bobs 80 f250
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the Bosch gauges and installed in my bezel. Obviously I don’t have air. They look pretty good and supplements the factory gauges in the dash

Old 06-02-2019, 03:31 PM
matthewq4b
Post Fiend
Received 114 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by bobs 80 f250

I use the Bosch gauges and installed in my bezel. Obviously I don’t have air. They look pretty good and supplements the factory gauges in the dash
I'm not usually a fan of cutting up the dash for gauge installs but this actually looks pretty good. Nice work on the install.

Old 06-03-2019, 07:17 AM
Olds64
Cargo Master
Received 326 Likes on 281 Posts
Bob, that gauge install is AWESOME.

Old 06-06-2019, 06:53 PM
dustyroad
Fleet Mechanic
I agree that does look nice. My truck had AC in it so there is vent ducts in that location.
After looking at potential spots for the 3 gauge panel on the bottom of the dash I'm not really happy with potential placement.
The best viewing angle is just plastic to mount to. Another spot that is metal to the left of the ashtray doesn't look like it will sit flush.
Also seems like it would be really hard area to fasten nuts and bolts. Self tapping might be an option, rather not but I'll see..
First gauge arrived. It looks ok, they shipped it in the wrong box so I hope it works.
Was scoping out Teeing into the oil sending unit and that looks fun to get to on this engine due to the EGR sticking out just about directly center over it.
Looks like it can still work though. Might have to use a larger nipple than planned.
It's either that or a sandwich adapter for the oil filter adapter, seems like too many adapters to me.

Old 08-09-2019, 02:51 PM
dustyroad
Fleet Mechanic
Finally installed one of the gauges, it works well. I like it but it is really bright at night. distracting bright.
The one I installed isn't quite in line of sight so it's bearable for now, but you can pretty much read it from the reflection off the window.
The other 2 will most likely be in the line of sight, I'll see how that goes and update when I finally get them done.
I know of no way of dimming them. I could probably put a resistor inline to 2 of them, but I'm not so sure about the voltmeter.
I think that would skew the voltage it displays.
I'll get a picture posted of them (night shot) as well when I finish.
But if anyone is looking for cheap digital gauges I'd say do it at this point.
Maybe I can get some window tint and put over them, might help at night.

Old 08-09-2019, 04:01 PM
Rusty_S
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by The_Scatch

I heard that too, but heard it was to be their new electric mechanical gauges not digital.

I really like the ones I installed at work though and might do the upgrade on my truck. Just will get super pricey as you will have to use a mechanical to digital signal converter for the speedometer.

Old 08-09-2019, 06:19 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,103 Likes on 1,791 Posts
Originally Posted by dustyroad
Finally installed one of the gauges, it works well. I like it but it is really bright at night. distracting bright.
The one I installed isn't quite in line of sight so it's bearable for now, but you can pretty much read it from the reflection off the window.
The other 2 will most likely be in the line of sight, I'll see how that goes and update when I finally get them done.
I know of no way of dimming them. I could probably put a resistor inline to 2 of them, but I'm not so sure about the voltmeter.
I think that would skew the voltage it displays.
I'll get a picture posted of them (night shot) as well when I finish.
But if anyone is looking for cheap digital gauges I'd say do it at this point.
Maybe I can get some window tint and put over them, might help at night.
All the after market gauges I have installed had a bulb to light the face to see it at night.
They should tie into the trucks dash lights and use the head light switch to dim all the dash / gauge lights but .....
if you cant see the factory gauges with them bright you will need to try something else.

You might look for a bulb with less watts or try painting the bulbs you have now. The more coats of paint the darker it will be.
Dave ----

Old 08-09-2019, 07:31 PM
dustyroad
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
All the after market gauges I have installed had a bulb to light the face to see it at night.
They should tie into the trucks dash lights and use the head light switch to dim all the dash / gauge lights but .....
if you cant see the factory gauges with them bright you will need to try something else.

You might look for a bulb with less watts or try painting the bulbs you have now. The more coats of paint the darker it will be.
Dave ----
digital LED gauges, they don't tie into the illumination circuit. Just a hot wire, ground and sensor wire.
They are sealed/crimped, from best I can tell, so I don't think I can get to the led without possibly breaking it.
They have a dark face which is why I thought of window tint. Or I'll just wire in some 1w 300 ohm resistors to at least 2 of the gauges.
Autometer sells a dimming module but they want more money than what the gauges cost.

Old 08-10-2019, 08:25 AM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,103 Likes on 1,791 Posts
When you are an old fat like me you only think of the type I posted about.
With the resister on the power side is that what also powers the gauge(s) or just the light part?
Don't know what to say at this point sorry
Dave ----

Quick Reply: aftermarket digital gauges