Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Went to test drive yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 06:50 AM
adock
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Went to test drive yesterday

So I finally got out to test drive some trucks yesterday. I narrowed it down to an STX crew cab shot bed with either the 2.7 EB or the 5.0. I was really impressed by the EB. It had good power and it just felt lighter and more nimble. The only two concerns I have are the turbos adding more points of failure and the exhaust note just isn’t a V8 lol.

I currently have a 2011 Forester that’s been a bit of s problem child. It’s had 4 valve cover gasket replacements since 60,000 miles, the short block was replaced at 92,000 miles for oil consumption now I’m at 115,000 miles and I have some valve tap with a considerable blow by. This has made me more hesitant to buy anything more complex than a naturally aspirated engine. Previously I had a 2002 Tundra with the 4.7L and the only “complaint” I had with that was the gas mileage. I knew it wasn’t going to be good when I bought it but at the time I felt I didn’t use the capabilities of that truck to justify the low mpg that’s why I’m leaning towards the EB since I’ll only loose a few mpg from the Forester.

I guess my last question is about pricing. They currently are offering the crew cab shorted 4x4 STX with the 2.7 for $38,236 before tax title and all that bs. Is this a good deal or should I try to get more off? I think the msrp was around $46,000

Thanks

Old 05-19-2019, 06:58 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 236 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by adock
So I finally got out to test drive some trucks yesterday. I narrowed it down to an STX crew cab shot bed with either the 2.7 EB or the 5.0. I was really impressed by the EB. It had good power and it just felt lighter and more nimble. The only two concerns I have are the turbos adding more points of failure and the exhaust note just isn’t a V8 lol.

I currently have a 2011 Forester that’s been a bit of s problem child. It’s had 4 valve cover gasket replacements since 60,000 miles, the short block was replaced at 92,000 miles for oil consumption now I’m at 115,000 miles and I have some valve tap with a considerable blow by. This has made me more hesitant to buy anything more complex than a naturally aspirated engine. Previously I had a 2002 Tundra with the 4.7L and the only “complaint” I had with that was the gas mileage. I knew it wasn’t going to be good when I bought it but at the time I felt I didn’t use the capabilities of that truck to justify the low mpg that’s why I’m leaning towards the EB since I’ll only loose a few mpg from the Forester.

I guess my last question is about pricing. They currently are offering the crew cab shorted 4x4 STX with the 2.7 for $38,236 before tax title and all that bs. Is this a good deal or should I try to get more off? I think the msrp was around $46,000

Thanks
Before you make your decision, are you sure the STX has everything you want on your F150?
Have you tried looking around at other dealers in and out of your area?
The reason for the second question is that believe it or not, some dealers still have some new 2018 F150‘s on their lots and you might be able to score a higher trim level for a better price than a 2019 F150 because nothing changed from last year to this year.

Old 05-19-2019, 08:50 AM
ATC_F350
Laughing Gas
Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts
Holiday Ford is showing $10.4k off on their STX trucks. They are in north Texas.

Old 05-19-2019, 10:04 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
I would choose a 2.7 over the new 5.0 if I was in the market. Far to many issues with the 5.0.

Old 05-19-2019, 10:10 AM
adock
Freshman User
Originally Posted by GABAR
Before you make your decision, are you sure the STX has everything you want on your F150?
Have you tried looking around at other dealers in and out of your area?
The reason for the second question is that believe it or not, some dealers still have some new 2018 F150‘s on their lots and you might be able to score a higher trim level for a better price than a 2019 F150 because nothing changed from last year to this year.
Unfortunately I don’t think I can get exactly what I want from the factory. I’d like to have the 10 way power heated seats from the xlt but I also want the vinyl floors. I also like the looks of the STX over the xlt. I found a few 18 xlts but they were the extended cab I’ve pretty much ruled that out because I hated that about the tundra.

Old 05-19-2019, 07:28 PM
IndyDog
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
I would choose a 2.7 over the new 5.0 if I was in the market. Far to many issues with the 5.0.
Me too. After 2700 miles it's going into the dealer tomorrow. Oil consumption below the bottom hole on the dipstick, black soot or something on the wall in the garage from when I start it up, and now a popping sound after I let off the gas after mild acceleration. I think I have a clunker and this truck has hardly been driven. Stay away. First vehicle I've ever had to bring to the dealer after so few miles with such issues.

Old 05-20-2019, 05:02 AM
adock
Freshman User
Originally Posted by IndyDog
Me too. After 2700 miles it's going into the dealer tomorrow. Oil consumption below the bottom hole on the dipstick, black soot or something on the wall in the garage from when I start it up, and now a popping sound after I let off the gas after mild acceleration. I think I have a clunker and this truck has hardly been driven. Stay away. First vehicle I've ever had to bring to the dealer after so few miles with such issues.
I was reading about some of the problems with the 5.0 and they’re making me hesitant to choose that. I don’t want to get into another lemon.

Old 05-20-2019, 08:55 AM
Kingofwylietx
Fleet Mechanic
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by adock
...........The only two concerns I have are the turbos adding more points of failure and the exhaust note just isn’t a V8 lol.
If you'll do some searching on this forum and the other F150 forums....you'll very quickly realize the turbos are NOT what you should be concerned with on a newer F150. They are probably one of the most reliable parts on the whole truck.
To make them so robust, it seems Ford must have cut corners on their lug nuts, door handles, Sync systems, moon roofs, brakes, transmission, V8 piston rings, 20" wheel coatings ...etc. Turbos are your least likely point of failure....

However, if you just want a the sound of V8...that is a perfectly fine reason to buy the V8.

Originally Posted by ATC_F350
Holiday Ford is showing $10.4k off on their STX trucks. They are in north Texas.
That's where I bought my truck. The guy that picked me up (no trade-in vehicle, so they sent a driver for me) said that he spends most of his day picking people up at the airport...who flew in to buy from them.
They were super easy to work with and didn't play any games. We did all the negotiating over email. When I arrived, they didn't try to change the deal or tack on add'l fees.
It was probably the easiest vehicle purchase I've ever had. I have to give props to this dealership.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:09 AM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
My recommendation, living with a 2018 truck with a new 2019? replacement 5.0L... stay away from the 5.0L. Until Ford figures out the oil issue, it’s just too iffy. They’ll either get it right, or by the time the 2020’s hit, they’ll go back to cast iron sleeves... or an all new 4.8L. The more I read, the more I wonder what resale will be on a 2018 with the 5.0L once this really gets out.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:11 AM
Bryan-G
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love my 2.7 but absolutely HATE the auto shut off that you don’t get with the 5.0 (well at least in 2016). Lease is up soon and if I get another F150 it will have the 2.7 again. Just my opinion. My 2013 had the 5.0 and 2016 2.7. There is no less power, torque or pulling notice from the 5.0 to the 2.7. What you will notice differently is the gas mileage. 18-20 in town, 22-24 highway with the 2.7. I got 13.5 in town and 18 highway with the 5.0. Yes I have a heavy foot and drive hard but you can see the differences in mpg with my driving style.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:23 AM
Roaddriver
Junior User
Test drove the 2019 XLT LARIAT and LIMITED over the weekend. XLT was ok the Lariat was nice but the Limited was unreal. Cant believe where they have taken trucks to these days. Will make a decision this week.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:35 AM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Auto start stop comes with all engine options today. Sorry.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:45 AM
Roaddriver
Junior User
Originally Posted by smokewagun
Auto start stop comes with all engine options today. Sorry.
2019 limited comes with the off button right on dash.
just have to turn it off every time you start it.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:50 AM
Kingofwylietx
Fleet Mechanic
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Roaddriver
All trucks with auto start/stop have the button on the dash to disable it.
It's not trim specific.
There are other ways to disable it permanently.

Old 05-20-2019, 09:51 AM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Roaddriver
😆 They ALL do!

Quick Reply: Went to test drive yesterday