1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Motorcraft vs WBR calipers

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2019, 07:34 PM
MarinBlaine
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Motorcraft vs WBR calipers

Hi folks, first post! Love this forum!

I have a 2001 E250 Sportsmobile (2WD) with 130k miles. Purchased it last year, changed out pads and rotors about 5k mi ago. Last weekend, front passenger caliper seized up while driving, was pulling hard to passenger side. After it cooled down it unseized and we went about our day.

Took it to my mechanic and he strongly suggested new calipers and hoses. I was dumbfounded at the $900 estimate, but ok my guy is expensive but I trust him. And heck, everything is crazy expensive here in SF Bay Area.

So the van is in to do the job, he had ordered what I presumed were new Motorcraft calipers. He then called me later today and said he got a tip that WMB calipers were even better, he ordered a set of those and he called to tell me they looked and felt so much better than Motorcraft, and it would be the same price and he recommended I use the WMB calipers.

What the heck? He’s always beat into my head that noting beats Motorcraft. Online world seems to concur.

I then did a quick scan of the web, and very little commentary out there on WMB, but I do realize these are remanufsctured OEM calipers. I call him back and he told me that both Motorcraft and WMB are remanufactured. Once again, he seemed pretty adamant that WMB looked and felt so much better, and then he told me that “Motorcraft took their remanufacturing to Mexico” and it’s just not as good as it used to be... (?)

Anyway, does anyone have any feedback on this decision that he put to me? Hard to do an online comparison, it does seem like WMB is a respectable brand, but I’m always inclined for Motorcraft...

Old 03-23-2019, 05:00 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,393 Likes on 1,102 Posts
I too am much more inclined to the Motorcraft brand---its never failed me yet on brake parts. I upfitted my '03 E250 EB 2WD with '08 spec front brake parts and yes completed whined about the higher cost of parts but some 96K miles later I'm still running those parts, nothing even remotely seeming to be problematic. Mind you I changed rotors, calipers, caliper brackets and flexible hoses---had about 658$ in those parts alone in 2013 dollars.

I've not heard of WMB but in this case if your trusted mechanic suggests their use AND he stands behind them that would ease my mind. I do agree re-manufacturing can be a hit or miss proposition and honestly I have a pricey Motorcraft or Ford reman'd steering box explode without a bit of warning at about 86K miles and 4.5 years later. That single incident makes me slightly wary but the NAPA Cardone brand replacement give me a far less satisfying drive so second thinking has me considering maybe I should have opted for another Motorcraft part. Too late for that as this particular van is hopefully on its way to another owner (or being parted out) sometime this year.

Again if your guy has had good luck with the WMB parts and provides a decent warranty I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'm sure he's smart enough to NOT use parts that'll bite him in the butt just to save a few dollars on his end.

I would add strictly as my own opinion and experience sticking with a known brand that's proven itself over time is a good option. There are bound to be missteps along the way but chances are they'll be far less than going with a cheaper brand just for the sake of a few dollars. Having ultra reliable parts gives peace of mind and most likely saves a lot of unexpected repairs going forward.

HTH

Old 03-23-2019, 05:39 AM
Rick1025
Tuned
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
One of things that affect caliper life is not flushing bad fluid. Brake fluid absorbs water and it will prematurly cause calipers to stick/seize. For all the $ you are spending,flush the old fluid.

Old 03-23-2019, 05:42 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Rick1025
One of things that affect caliper life is not flushing bad fluid. Brake fluid absorbs water and it will prematurly cause calipers to stick/seize. For all the $ you are spending,flush the old fluid.
Excellent point---something most of us would assume has been done but perhaps we need to insist on it being done specifically.

Old 03-23-2019, 10:49 AM
wiskeyVI
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
JWA,
When yo upgraded to the post 08 parts, was the caliper bracket required?

Old 03-24-2019, 05:22 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by wiskeyVI
JWA,
When yo upgraded to the post 08 parts, was the caliper bracket required?
No---I had to source those parts myself. At the time though I'd found a seller out of NYC who had a lot of nearly new take off parts from E-Series---I bought the rotors and caliper brackets from him for less than $200 shipping included. He doesn't seem to have that parts source any longer though, mostly off-brand reman'd stuff I'd not trust for long life.

There should be a ton of those parts in the scrap yards though---look for any E250 from 2008 forward.

Old 03-24-2019, 06:47 AM
wiskeyVI
Elder User
Did you notice enough of a difference that it makes it worthwhile to swap?
I can find used calipers to rebuild on line.
I can get rotors the same wy.
I hadn't thought about the bracket.

The closest real salvage yard to me is a couple hours away. I've never seen an 08 or newer van there. I almost wonder if the newer stuff gets sent to their STL location or maybe they sell them online. I need to check into it.

Old 03-24-2019, 12:49 PM
MarinBlaine
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks to all for your helpful replies! I’m gonna stick with his recommendation and go with the WBR calipers, I’ll report back on how they work out.

Old 03-25-2019, 04:58 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by wiskeyVI
Did you notice enough of a difference that it makes it worthwhile to swap?
The E250 I upgraded runs a bit heavy (7800#) as a daily driver---full of tools and supplies for my windshield biz----with the GVW of the E250's at 8,600# that's a bit too close to suit me. This upgrade won't throw you through the windshield when you stomp on the brake pedal but there is a significant difference. When stopping quickly from 65 MPH or so you can feel there's more than enough braking power to slow down without brake fade etc. FWIW this works only on the E250's and E250's of the later years--E350's naturally have larger brakes and a master cylinder too.

I'd say its worth the money and work but that really depends how loaded your van runs on a regular basis.

Parts-wise you can find a lot of great nearly new take off stuff through eBay or LKQ Online too.

Old 03-25-2019, 05:06 AM
wiskeyVI
Elder User
Thanks for the info JWA.
I have an 07, E350. I had thought the E250/350 shared the same brakes. I dont intend to haul real heavy but may picking up a Travel Trailer.

MarinBlaine,
I'm going to give those calipers a look over.