6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

preventing disaster on cp4 fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 09:19 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 979 Likes on 753 Posts
preventing disaster on cp4 fuel pump

https://dalessuperstore.com/i-238945...werstroke.html

anyone use this ......

it makes too much sense....

seems like something ford should look into ......

its one of those cases that if you use this mod, your fuel system warranty will be voided....but then again....if I use this mode...would I need a fuel system warranty.

Old 03-19-2019, 09:30 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Received 6,333 Likes on 4,599 Posts
Apparently it's CARB approved.

https://www.accuratediesel.com/6-7l-powerstroke-disaster-prevention-kit.html

I have brought this up before in other threads but have no personal experience with it. It's on my bucket list as well.

There's also Exergy Performance's version with a better filter (screen) inside the pump. Rated for 25 micron I believe not 100%.

​https://rudysdiesel.com/i-30503114-exergy-performance-improved-stock-cp4-2-pump-6-7-powerstroke.html​​​​​​

Old 03-19-2019, 10:04 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
What I like about the by pass is how it sends the fuel that internally lubes the roller bearings back to the tNk. If the bearings fail, the tank and main filter will filter metal particles

Old 03-19-2019, 10:37 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Received 6,333 Likes on 4,599 Posts
I agree. It saves the rails and injectors when the pump or if the pump fails.

I posted that with my cell phone. On laptop now.

https://www.accuratediesel.com/6-7l-...ntion-kit.html

https://rudysdiesel.com/i-30503114-e...werstroke.html

How do you like your new ride?

Last edited by Overkill2; 03-19-2019 at 10:39 AM. Reason: add to post
Old 03-20-2019, 10:02 AM
Chuck-B
6.7 Weight Loss
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Guys, so you know me, I have almost every bullet proof bell and whistle available out there, some I'm glad I did, others not so much. Need a tad bit of education with this one. So not all the fuel is used to lubricate the pump? Guessing that some fuel is diverted to lubricate the rollers and then recombined with the fuel that isn't diverted before the fuel heads to the injectors. What this thing does is rather than allowing the fuel to be recombined, it somehow sends the fuel that is diverted to lubricate the rollers back to the fuel tank? I did look around to see how fuel is routed through the "system" into the injectors and still have a rough time grasping how the fuel that is diverted to lubricate the rollers can be separated and sent back to the tank before it is recombined with the fuel that isn't. From what I saw it's all one big maze for lack of a better word that the fuel passes through. I also watched an installation video, installing it doesn't seem like it's for the faint of heart. Might have taken a shot at it when I was in my 30's, at 64 probably going to have someone do it if I decide to go this route. I may see if I can hang around with the mechanic that I take the truck to as I'm thinking because of the EGR system it could use a good cleaning.

Old 03-20-2019, 10:15 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot

So apparently there is an indirect fuel path that comes into the pump, across the bearings to lube then, then that very fuel joins the main fuel flow and winds up part of the injector fuel delivery .

it has been shown that bearing related failure is a high cuase of pump failure so metal particles from bearing lube fuel flow enter the injector bound stream.

the by pass proposes it can divert post bearing lube fuel and divert it back to the tank where any metal particles would be filtered by the main and secondary filters on the fuels next trip thru the system.

what I would like to know if the install is clean and if removed undetectable....if you install this you loose the ford warranty but if you install this your less likely to need injector related warranty.

on my list for post wRranty install. May have to buy it now and put it in my goodie box for later.

Old 03-20-2019, 03:29 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
http://bit.ly/2sLJuqK

so according to the install instructions, there is some grinding needed....so I’m going to have to pass until after warranty.

there are also 2 versions one for pre 2015 and one for post 2015

Old 03-20-2019, 05:57 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
I think one can use and additive with lubricity and not need all this stuff. If you check the forums, the amount of CP4.2 pumps taking a dump is relatively low. There are not that many threads on this problem. You have millions of 6.7 engines with the CP4.2 pump and few that are reporting problems. Buying quality fuel that is from a high volume station with solve problems of the pump gernading.

Check this post here on another forum

https://www.thedieselstop.com/forums...50-post69.html

Old 03-20-2019, 06:23 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
I agree you can lube up your fuel to reduce the probability....but you have to admit....for the cost of some engineered aluminum and hoses...this solution eliminates the probability of injectors being blown up by fuel pump bearing related particles.

Old 03-20-2019, 06:36 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Ford Doctor wrote on the link above....

" The only thing this bypass won't prevent is damage caused by contaminated fuel (water and DEF) or damage to the plungers and their bores in which case the entire high pressure fuel system is still compromised and will indeed require replacing. "

Guess you didnt go read it?

Old 03-20-2019, 08:34 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Correct, it won’t prevent water and DEF damage.

and definitely, use fuel lube additives, run bio blends, press the start button for a few seconds before hitting the brake pedals if you have push to start , etc.

Interestingly...

Inspections of failed pumps have revealed the roller bearings as the predominate fail point.....in other words there’s never been just cylinder wear and perfect roller bearings...it’s always damaged roller bearings and damaged cylinder walls.

and since 2016 the fuel pump CAM base circle has increased as part of increasing the stroke of the pump piston in an effort to deliver more fuel to now even higher HP engines.

Old 03-20-2019, 09:16 PM
FishOnOne
Lead Driver
Received 1,446 Likes on 892 Posts
Originally Posted by speakerfritz
https://dalessuperstore.com/i-238945...werstroke.html

anyone use this ......

it makes too much sense....

seems like something ford should look into ......

its one of those cases that if you use this mod, your fuel system warranty will be voided....but then again....if I use this mode...would I need a fuel system warranty.
I think you've spent too many hours in the 6.4PSD forum. My recommendation is to chill out and enjoy your ride.

Old 03-21-2019, 05:05 AM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by speakerfritz
Correct, it won’t prevent water and DEF damage.

and definitely, use fuel lube additives, run bio blends, press the start button for a few seconds before hitting the brake pedals if you have push to start , etc.

Interestingly...

Inspections of failed pumps have revealed the roller bearings as the predominate fail point.....in other words there’s never been just cylinder wear and perfect roller bearings...it’s always damaged roller bearings and damaged cylinder walls.

and since 2016 the fuel pump CAM base circle has increased as part of increasing the stroke of the pump piston in an effort to deliver more fuel to now even higher HP engines.
As Troy said, just drive the truck while using good qaulity fuel and add additives at times for lubricity. Fromt he forums, I think the percentage of the CP4.2 failures are very low over all.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:01 AM
Chuck-B
6.7 Weight Loss
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Personally I am adding PM22 to my fuel and am still on the fence about this thing. It seems harmless enough, just curious how it actually works more than anything at this point. As I understand it, what fails is the oval grey thing with the left arrow and an x in it and the circle above it with the right arrow and an x in it. I kind of don't understand the picture because it's not showing how fuel gets into the orange thing with what looks like a ball & spring and appears to be the path to the rails and ultimately the injectors. It appears as though fuel fills what's behind the green cylinder so if something fails that whole area would be loaded with metal slivers. I'm assuming the top yellow arrow at the bottom is the return to the fuel tank path. I just can't wrap my head around where this diversion would happen. Again, not really a big deal, just interesting conversation around this.

There also appears to be a class action lawsuit against Bosh for "premature" failure of this thing. Reading the blurb about the suit they say that warranties don't cover "fuel contamination" and the auto manufacturers are considering the metal shavings as "fuel contamination". Apparently this pump is also used in GMs, Dodges and some Jeeps. The suit also alleges that the problem isn't just a lubrication problem. According to what I read the pump generates bubbles inside of it at lower pressures causing metal on metal contact. The pump usually fails around 100,000 miles. The article mentioned that the pump was manufactured in Europe and "tested" with European diesel fuel which doesn't have the same restrictions as in the US.

What's also interesting is that no one has made a "better" replacement pump. You can install the CP3 pump and take a milage hit, not even sure if it would work and would probably go the other way, installing the disaster avoidance kit that we're talking about here. Would have thought one of the aftermarket folks would have ceased the opportunity to make a buck or 2 on a better pump. Especially since it appears as though the "big 3" all use this thing.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:59 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Yes, big problem on the lubricity changes since 2007.

current designs use injectors as filters for metal fragments caused by failing pumps.

warranty disqualification due to fuel being contaminated with metal pump fragments ....concerning

100k sounds about right for wear....but dry starts due to gelled fuel can happen at anytime

you have to stay on top of the additives

good news is a lot of states are mandating 4.9% bio fuel for home heating....maybe that will carry over into vehicle fuels.

Quick Reply: preventing disaster on cp4 fuel pump