Sponsored by:

Searching for an Excursion

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 06:54 AM
Road_King
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Searching for an Excursion

Hello everyone! I have been lurking these boards for quite some time but never signed up. An Excursion has been on my wish list for about 10 years or so but things never lined up.

What I really need is a family vehicle. I would prefer 4x4 but i'd consider a 2x4 + LSD (These trucks are heavy enough that with a good locking diff and good tires it should perform fine enough). I'd prefer a v10 over the 5.4 v8. I'm not really looking for a diesel because I wouldn't have a need for the extra power (and expense). I need 3rd row seating and would prefer the 9 passenger bench seats. We currently have a mini van and it's not big enough anymore.

We went to look an a 2002 (4x4 v10 3rd row 150k miles) a few days ago at a small family run used car lot, but the interior was filthy. I found mud and hay everywhere inside and an empty open can of snuff and dirty clothes on the floor. The cloth seats were perfect so I assume they had covers on the seats, but everything else was disgusting. I don't know why a dealer would put a vehicle in that condition on their lot!?!?

I'm aware of the sparkplug issues the gassers have and the exhaust stud rotting away, but is there any other model specific issues I can look for while searching? I noticed a lot seem to rust out by the rear doors, so i've been mindful of that when looking at pictures online. I really wish there were more of these things for sale locally, but it seems that those who own them don't really get rid of them.

I'm located in central PA so that would be where i'm searching and will be using the vehicle.

Thank you to everyone here for being such an amazing community. From what I've seen the atmosphere on this forum is pretty amazing. I'm going to go back to searching and reading.

Old 03-18-2019, 07:26 AM
05XCRSN
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New 2 U

[QUOTE=Road_King;18546203]Hello everyone! I have been lurking these boards for quite some time but never signed up. An Excursion has been on my wish list for about 10 years or so but things never lined up.

V-10 for sure. Keep an extra spark plug and THE FORD SPECIFIC socket stored next to your jack. It's an easy roadside repair if you're prepared for it. I'm serious. Don't delay in getting that plug and tool. It sounds HORRIBLE when it happens. AND keep a good flash light, pair of gloves on board. The engine will be hot. I speak from experience. Lost 3 plugs on 2 different trucks.
Go South for a rust free unit. It'll be worth the drive. Line up at least 2 to look at that are within an hour of each other.
You're going to have this rig for awhile. YOU'RE NOT GOING TO WANT TO PUT MONEY INTO SOMETHING YOU KNOW IS FALLING APART. I had 356k on mine before we wiped out on black ice. AND it was still going strong. After you get it back into the rust belt, oil it up all over every October. Find a garage that will spray the undercarriage and inside the doors until it's dripping with oil. DIY if you have to. Its cheap and easy. I'm from the Cleveland area and lost MANY vehicles to the salt.
I have had 4 and only bought the LIMITED for the leather seats. Easier to clean. I have 4 boys.
The four wheel on demand always seems to be busted. Could be a cheap fix or NOT. CHECK THE DIFF anyway by manually locking the hubs and driving it in a circle. The front tires should "crow hop" on dry ground if the diff is working properly. It takes a couple of revolutions to engage. If you hear CLUNKING, it could be a $2000 repair.
Every one I've owned has had window or door lock issues or both.
You're looking at trucks that are 15-20 years old. Leave yourself some room in the budget for immediate repairs. I just dropped 3k into my new purchase not including the new wheels and tires. that's another 3k, And did most of the work myself to stretch my dollar further. I can do for $200 what a shop will charge a grand for.
hope this helps and GOOD LUCK!
let us know how it goes.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:35 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 832 Likes on 571 Posts
The spark plug ejection issue was pretty much totally resolved in model year '03 with a redesign of the heads that increased the spark plug threads from 4 threads to over 7 threads. I have no idea what the previous member is talking about with the Ford specific spark plug socket, it's just a regular 5/8" plug socket that is used, I like the GearWrench 6" wobble socket for the plugs as it does make access and control of the fresh plugs a little easier. If you do get an earlier EX with the lower thread count plug holes install new plugs and boots and over torque them to about 26/28 ft/lbs vs the factory spec of only 11 ft/lbs, the low number of threads and that light torque value are what most owners point to as the reason for those blown plugs.
For Central PA I would look more at the 4X4 models, you guys (yins ) see enough snow and ice to make that a better choice in my opinion. Where abouts in Central PA are you from, I live in the SE corner of the Keystone State but have family in the Pottsville area.
If you plan to operate this big wagon for some time and want to look forward to way less rust issues it is very well worth your time to search in the salt and rust free areas of the country and buy a clean EX there and drive it back home, then as was said, protect it from the salt going forward. The cost of flying out and the gas and lodging to drive it back home will be less than the cost for a body shop to do rust repairs to the rotted out rockers of a more local rig. We have members here who may be able to help with your search and possibly even take a good look at a clean one for you before you fly in to see it yourself.
You mentioned the exhaust manifold studs breaking, which is a common issue along with the early production spark plug situation, both of those V-10 issues are something that can be dealt with without too much pain. Otherwise the 6.8 is a very capable and reliable motor in these big wagons, I've had mine for 8.5 years now and have put about 60K miles on it with over 38K of those miles towing heavy TTs (9,500 and current 11,300 lbs) with the only needed repair being a fuel pump. I'm a big fan of the V-10.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:45 AM
Road_King
New User
Hey 05XCRSN, thanks for the advice and encouragement!

I would hate to blow a plug so the first thing i'll do is check the torque on each plug. If I ever have to repair a blown plug i'd probably pull the heads and do a full service. This vehicle isn't going to be a daily driver so I can afford some downtime.

I am not a fan of vacuum actuated 4x4. I have had 4x4 trucks in the past with on-the-fly and I much prefer a true locking hub. I currently have a 1990 Dodge W350 with locking hubs and it's a beast when in 4x4.

How was your winter in Cleveland? I think you guys had it pretty mild this year as far as accumulation right? Bitter cold, but not too much snow? I love living in the NE but I hate salt. I wish there was something that they could treat the roads with that wouldn't eat vehicles alive!

I hear ya on self maintenance vs mechanic costs. I maintain all my vehicles myself (which costs more when I do an oil change vs a lube shop) and I enjoy it. Knowing your vehicle from the inside out makes you appreciate it more too.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:53 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
I think i need to start a excursion import biz. Lmao

out here we are blessed with a robust rust free Excursion market, In fact I am going to pickup another 7.3 this week, typical rich guy selling it for $7k because it has a ripped seat and the dealer lowballed him when his wife went to trade it in on a new suv

Old 03-18-2019, 09:58 AM
DavenTn
Fleet Mechanic
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Excursions are great.... as a mule if that's what you need. What I mean is, if you need a people mover, there are better choices. However if you need a hauler to pull stuff plus people (mule), Excursions' can't be beat.

Personally I'd say get a suburban (blasphemy) if you need a family vehicle.... and if you have the bucks, a 3/4 ton with the 6.0 gas engine, just in case you need to haul. They (burb's) ride better, handle better, and tighter turn radius. They do everything the Ex can "more comfortably" regarding people.

... just sayin'

Old 03-18-2019, 10:19 AM
05XCRSN
Senior User
Maintenance

OK. Maybe a regular wobble socket works but I had a 5.4 expedition that a mechanic recommended buying a wobble socket that's permanently attached to the extension. It gets into a the rear plugs up under the firewall. Most auto stores carry them.
the other guy mentioned the later years were fixed. Thats good to know. I've had 00,02,04,05. My 05 had 356k and no plug issue. My 02, I had a shop do the HELI-COIL fix for $100 for one plug. They can suck out any metal shavings that may be left inside the cylinder.
Look for an 05. Then you won't be wanting to change the bumper grill and headlights in 6 months.

All my Ex's had Manual locking hubs with the AUTO option.

I live in CO now. Had enough of the lake effect weather. (We did see 18 inches of snow here, but the sun comes out and its gone pretty quick. No salt either, which can get slippery)
cars out here last forever. It's very common to see a 66 mustang or 53 ford pick up, daily driver, sagging springs, blowing smoke, faded paint and all, just cruising along.

I drove 12 hours to Vegas to pick up a rust free desert truck that needed a new home. 6.0 bulletproofed w/10k on a new motor for $14k. They run 20k for an average condition with 200k miles.
I've picked up my gsssers for 2-5k clean bodies, trashed interiors. 200k-ish miles.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:48 AM
Road_King
New User
Hey WE3ZS,

I have ready quite a few posts from you in particular because you are from the local area (PA in general). I live in Sheetz country. Not too far from wa-wa country where you live!

I may have to search outside the local area for a salt free truck but free time is not something I have much of. Lots of things to weigh out if presented with a nice truck that is not close by.

Old 03-18-2019, 10:53 AM
Road_King
New User
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
I think i need to start a excursion import biz. Lmao

out here we are blessed with a robust rust free Excursion market, In fact I am going to pickup another 7.3 this week, typical rich guy selling it for $7k because it has a ripped seat and the dealer lowballed him when his wife went to trade it in on a new suv
Let me know if you come across anything that i'd be interested in. Shipping a vehicle isn't too terrible expensive coast to coast.

Originally Posted by DavenTn
Excursions are great.... as a mule if that's what you need. What I mean is, if you need a people mover, there are better choices. However if you need a hauler to pull stuff plus people (mule), Excursions' can't be beat.

Personally I'd say get a suburban (blasphemy) if you need a family vehicle.... and if you have the bucks, a 3/4 ton with the 6.0 gas engine, just in case you need to haul. They (burb's) ride better, handle better, and tighter turn radius. They do everything the Ex can "more comfortably" regarding people.

... just sayin'
I used to be a Mopar or no-car guy, but no i'm a fan of pretty much anything American made... That being said I still hate chevys. Burbon is for drinking and I quit drinking a long time ago. No thank you.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:00 AM
Road_King
New User
Originally Posted by 05XCRSN
OK. Maybe a regular wobble socket works but I had a 5.4 expedition that a mechanic recommended buying a wobble socket that's permanently attached to the extension. It gets into a the rear plugs up under the firewall. Most auto stores carry them.
the other guy mentioned the later years were fixed. Thats good to know. I've had 00,02,04,05. My 05 had 356k and no plug issue. My 02, I had a shop do the HELI-COIL fix for $100 for one plug. They can suck out any metal shavings that may be left inside the cylinder.
Look for an 05. Then you won't be wanting to change the bumper grill and headlights in 6 months.

All my Ex's had Manual locking hubs with the AUTO option.

I live in CO now. Had enough of the lake effect weather. (We did see 18 inches of snow here, but the sun comes out and its gone pretty quick. No salt either, which can get slippery)
cars out here last forever. It's very common to see a 66 mustang or 53 ford pick up, daily driver, sagging springs, blowing smoke, faded paint and all, just cruising along.

I drove 12 hours to Vegas to pick up a rust free desert truck that needed a new home. 6.0 bulletproofed w/10k on a new motor for $14k. They run 20k for an average condition with 200k miles.
I've picked up my gsssers for 2-5k clean bodies, trashed interiors. 200k-ish miles.
I like the sound of that. I considered CO a while back, but the 2A laws and legal pot usage made me shy away from it. PA looks like it's headed in that same direction now though...

Let me know if you see anything interesting out your way. Shipping is just an added expense.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:44 AM
05XCRSN
Senior User
road trip

E-bay, + lots of pictures and questions = hotel + gas money.
I rented a trailer to pull my kids car home behind the new EX.
$600 for 800 miles. But it was worth it .

Old 03-18-2019, 01:03 PM
Road_King
New User
Originally Posted by 05XCRSN
E-bay, + lots of pictures and questions = hotel + gas money.
I rented a trailer to pull my kids car home behind the new EX.
$600 for 800 miles. But it was worth it .

There was one for sale not too far from me that looked similar to that. All black with bigger wheels/tires. Price wasn't bad but it had rot. I was going to post the link, but apparently it's already sold because it's not on craigslist anymore.

Old 03-18-2019, 02:14 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by Road_King
Let me know if you come across anything that i'd be interested in. Shipping a vehicle isn't too terrible expensive coast to coast.

Need to know your budget to narrow it down to just those.

in the mean time here is a low milage 2005, priced a bit higher then I see them but it looks good other then needing a seat cover.

Old 03-18-2019, 02:32 PM
JustAnotherEBEx
New User
Here's an '03 4x4 with a 7.3. Price seems a little high, but it does have the second row buckets.

https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/c...832530490.html

Old 03-18-2019, 02:35 PM
Road_King
New User
Hi everyone, thanks for the replies!

Looking for under $5k. I thought that would be a good price for a gasser. I really don't want a diesel ( hard to say those words after many years of lusting after one ).

Quick Reply: Searching for an Excursion