Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Y'all will hate me for this

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 11:44 AM
Wiggums
Posting Guru
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Y'all will hate me for this

Ford hasn't been offering generous incentives and Chevy is offering $11k off while RAM is offering $16k off.

I buy new trucks at big discounts to save money and then trade it in a few years later for another one at a big discount too. Like my 2012 being MSRP'd at $39k, bought for $29k, traded in three years later for $24k. My 2016 was MSRP'd at $51k, bought for $39k, and I was offered $32k. Others would lose $19k but I'm losing only $7k. If I held it another year, I'd lose $14k so it's beneficial for me to keep buying new at significant discounts.

I'm trading it in for a 2019 Chevy Silverado RST 4x4 with the bells and whistles. RAM has worse resale and reliability so that's out of the question. The $38,000 Laramie is tempting though but.. naw.

Sorry about that, guys... I'll see to it the door doesn't hit my *** on the way out.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:52 AM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Pictures?

I like the new GMC HD models . Not in the market, but enjoy seeing what other folks get!

Old 03-09-2019, 12:06 PM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There are a few active members “in between” owning Fords, so while I may be in the minority here, I say you should still hang out. If for no other reason than to report on things you like about the GM or miss about your Ford. I do appreciate your opinion.

I do find it surprising (and very telling) that both GM and Ram are having to put big piles of cash on the hood to move trucks in this market. GM has a new truck this year and Ram trucks are selling like hot cakes. Neither should warrant steep discounts.

Old 03-09-2019, 12:58 PM
IndyDog
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Money matters.
I've owned them all but I've really liked my last three Fords, since I keep them for years and pay them off early I benefit from no payments for a good chunk of the time. I'd rather have a truck I like in that scenario. Love my new 150 but am starting to regret the 157 wheelbase.

Old 03-09-2019, 01:09 PM
doyall
Mountain Pass
Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
All the best! I would have considered Chevy/GMC instead of an '18 F-150 but a bad experience with the wife's prior Caddy swore me off GM products and Sonic Automotive altogether.

Old 03-09-2019, 01:56 PM
brokenleg
Fleet Mechanic
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I understand. It all comes down to money. Ive had both Ford and GM trucks. Never owned a Chrysler product, just that the right one hasnt shown up. I own a 2003 GMC pick up. And the 2013 F150. The GMC is for rough stuff. I bought it cheap.

Old 03-09-2019, 02:21 PM
Kingofwylietx
Fleet Mechanic
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
Hate is a strong word. I would have bought the Ram, I’ve had nothing but good luck with the ones I’ve owned. I’m only in a Ford to try something different. In all honesty, I’ve had more problems with my 2017 F150 than all my previous Dodge/Ram vehicles combined. I don’t hold that against it, because I know quite a few people that haven’t had any trouble with their F150’s...it was just luck of the draw.

For me, the decision was between another Megacab or the F150. I tried to like the Chevy, but it just didn’t speak to me.

Enjoy whatever you get, they are just vehicles.

Old 03-09-2019, 03:30 PM
Midnightmoon
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Kingofwylietx
Hate is a strong word. I would have bought the Ram, I’ve had nothing but good luck with the ones I’ve owned. I’m only in a Ford to try something different. In all honesty, I’ve had more problems with my 2017 F150 than all my previous Dodge/Ram vehicles combined. I don’t hold that against it, because I know quite a few people that haven’t had any trouble with their F150’s...it was just luck of the draw.

For me, the decision was between another Megacab or the F150. I tried to like the Chevy, but it just didn’t speak to me.

Enjoy whatever you get, they are just vehicles.

My 2018 was simply an experiment to try the Aluminum body. I currently have 7 trucks, all Rams and one Ford. Very hard to keep up with the body rust with the Rams in our environment, but they work hard. They haven't been trouble free, but none of them are.

Old 03-09-2019, 03:54 PM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 236 Likes on 184 Posts
Don’t let the door **** hit you. LOL
Bye Felisha.

Old 03-09-2019, 10:38 PM
Wiggums
Posting Guru
My impression... 2016 F-150 XLT 4x4 and 2019 Chevrolet Silverado RST Z71

The F-150 was a long wheelbase and felt a lot more like a lumbering giant than the sharper and more focused Silverado RST Z71. I was definitely able to make shorter U-turns with the Silverado. One thing I am going to miss is the XLT's 36-gallon tank and the long range, but my overall average with the XLT over three years has been 17 mpg. I think the camper shell and heavy Bedrug impacted the mileage, before, I was getting around 20. Strangely, my 2012 with the similar Coyote V-8 got around 22. No matter how gentle I was with the gas pedal, the 2016 XLT could barely get above 18 mpg. I was a tad disappointed in the gas mileage and I will not put a shell on my Silverado. The brief 50-mile trip on the Silverado shows 23 mpg with about half of that in bumper to bumper traffic so that's really good. I was VERY gentle with it though.

Silverado has the optional 5.3L V8. My XLT had the 5.0 V8. Although F-150 rated at 375-hp, the Silverado's 355-hp engine felt a little more spirited but it could be due to the lighter weight. The Silverado feels more snug and doesn't jiggle every time I cross the railroad tracks.

As one said, no, it did not make sense for Chevrolet to offer $10k to $12k off. In fact, Ford should have been given it's outdated design compared to the other two competitors. I think Chevrolet is only doing that in order to return to its 2nd position. I think Chevrolet slipped to the third a month ago, mainly due to RAM's unusually steep discounts. I looked at a RAM Laramie for $16k off MSRP but I think a Chevrolet at $12k off will yield a better resale value in two years, maybe three years from now. The Laramie I drove felt nice inside though, but had no LED lighting and just didn't feel that sophisticated or high-tech.

The XLT had a hard dashboard, felt a tad cheap, and is reflected by many car editors. Not so with the Silverado, then again, it could be the trim. Lots of trims to choose from and the price band between all trims is much narrower than Ford's $29k XL to $80k Premium. One odd thing was it was difficult to get a Silverado with a power passenger seat but at least it has dual heated seats. Unlike my XLT, this one has dual climate control. I felt it was a fair trade-off but would have loved power passenger seat.

The 110V plugs in my XLT was in the front and rear seats. For the Silverado, in the front and back in the bed. The one in the bed says 400W. It has a big round cover and it looks like a high-wattage plug that can accommodate power saws and jackhammers, but I know the limitations of 400W so I'm not doing that. I don't know why it's in the bed though, it would be inviting the construction crew to plug in tools.

For 2019, the rear seats in the Silverado now have ventilation. A big plus.

For those concerned about USB plugs.. I had the center console in my XLT so there were USB plugs in the front and DC plugs in both the dash and center console. I used the front USB to run Android Auto and used Quick Charge 3.0 in the center console DC plug to quickly charge my phone. For the Silverado, there's USB plugs in the center console but no DC plug. Unlike the XLT, the Silverado has USB-C type plugs next to all USB plugs. I think it's got to be one or the other, otherwise I'd have eight USB plugs (4 regular and 4 USB-C). The back seat has a single USB / USB-C plug and a DC plug, but no AC plug (unlike the XLT). I'd have put AC plugs in the back and front instead of the front and the bed.

The bed does have LED lights. Ford started that though and I like that touch.

Overall, I am pretty satisfied with the Silverado. Seat is more comfortable and seems to offer better support, but it could be the trim. The RST is Rally Sport "Truck" with the Z71 package which is much like FX4, plates in bottom, aggressive tires, and a few other things. That was the one I got for $10k off so I got a few extra things. I had to have the center console and the new Silverado has that as well. Can't go back to bench seats, not happening.

Hope that helps.. both had pros and cons. I am going to miss the following: the long bed, the DC plug in center console to quickly charge my phone, and, especially, the 36-gallon tank (I am hoping the gas mileage will off set that.. 18 vs. 24 but it's highly unlikely).

The Silverado has all-LED lighting.. front, fog lights, and rear. I am not quite sure if I like it because I frequently travel to Mexico and my car had Xenon, the Mexicans would keep flashing their headlights at me driving past. That was the biggest reason I made sure my XLT didn't have Xenon, but at times, I'd hit potholes because it was too dim. I'm trying to find a compromise here...

Old 03-10-2019, 12:37 AM
idrive
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's hoping you enjoy the truck.

I'll have to say I'm truly grateful I don't buy the truck based on the deepest discounts or for resale. First thing I have to do when I see the truck each day is say "now that's a good looking truck".

Just proves we all like something different.

Old 03-10-2019, 01:17 AM
Wiggums
Posting Guru
By buying trucks based on the deepest discounts or for resale, I'm usually in the best and the most advanced truck as was the case in my 2016 Ford F-150, redesigned a year before. The 2019 Silverado is extremely well thought out compared to the F-150, but that's only because it's the newest and they all learn from each other's mistakes.

When Ford comes out with a kick-*** F-150 in 2022 with a hologram pedestrian warning system, you can be sure I'll be driving it. In 2016, I bought the second year F-150 because it was heavily discounted, but this year was unusual with the first year being heavily discounted.

Getting $12k off the 2016 helped my monthly total down to $200 a month. That's better than leasing at $400 a month. And, again, I'm driving the latest models.

Old 03-10-2019, 01:54 AM
JKBrad
Received 802 Likes on 587 Posts
I wouldn’t be surprised if the 2019 Silverado grill gets redesigned for 2021. Looks like the Pontiac Aztek designers wound up in the truck design studio. Other than that, looks okay.

How do you like the sight lines on the door mounted mirrors? Does it get rid of the big blind spot you get trying to see what’s next to the fender?

You may want to look into the AFM delete. Google that.

Old 03-10-2019, 03:25 AM
Wiggums
Posting Guru
2018's had that.. mine's a 2019. It is now called Dynamic Fuel Management. I know there are engines that show AFM while some show DFM. I don't know the difference, but after hearing about issues with AFM, I made sure mine had DFM.

One thing about the Silverado is that the concave mirror on the top left is actually much more useful than the one on my F-150! I could actually see cars without having to turn around.

Old 03-10-2019, 03:29 AM
Wiggums
Posting Guru
Also, back-up camera is quite a bit better in the dark but when I back-up and brake, it really gets red! I don't know how Ford got rid of the redness.

Quick Reply: Y'all will hate me for this