2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2019 Limited F250 Shock Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 06:50 PM
bjones211
Cross-Country
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
2019 Limited F250 Shock Upgrade?

Just turned a 1000 miles on my 2019 Limited F250 4WD and find the ride kind of rough over bumps. Will be purchasing a 27' fifth wheel soon with Anderson hitch into the puck system. Should I wait to see how the RV rides before upgrading the shocks to Bilstien/Fox or do it now? I'm not looking to do a lift or anything just want the ride to be smoother with and without RV attached.

Old 02-20-2019, 07:33 PM
lasallen
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bjones211
Just turned a 1000 miles on my 2019 Limited F250 4WD and find the ride kind of rough over bumps. Will be purchasing a 27' fifth wheel soon with Anderson hitch into the puck system. Should I wait to see how the RV rides before upgrading the shocks to Bilstien/Fox or do it now? I'm not looking to do a lift or anything just want the ride to be smoother with and without RV attached.

I have spent a lot of money searching for the same result. I have found that 18" wheels with 35 inch tires at the proper air pressure made more of a difference than thousands of dollars in shocks and suspension systems.

Old 02-21-2019, 12:02 AM
TeddyD
Postmaster
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
I’d wait to see how it tows. Every HD truck I have ever owned had a smoother ride when loaded heavy.

Old 02-21-2019, 12:04 AM
KCRebel
More Turbo
Received 112 Likes on 62 Posts
Go Fox and thank the rest of us later.
I've also run Fox shocks on several trucks with and without stock tire/wheel setups. Never a complaint. Fox shocks always improved the handling of the truck they were put on. When I refer to handling I mean staying planted without the shock fade the stock shocks are so prone for especially towing heavy loads. Expansion joints on stock shocks is like riding a bronc. The improvement is immediate. Best money you can spend.
Others will comment that they fox shocks ride rougher. They are stiff for sure but if you want a planted feel without the fade that is amplified under load go Fox. If you are unsure call them and discuss your needs. They can custom build your shocks for you and revolve them if need be down the road if your needs change.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:40 AM
FOURBYBUD
Senior User
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
For what it's worth, I have used the Rancho 9000's on my 2017 F350 and now my 2019 F250. Both trucks are Platinum models. Really impressed!!!!!!!

Old 02-21-2019, 09:38 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,677 Likes on 2,745 Posts
Like the post above, I have the Rancho 9000XL shocks. My OEM shocks were toast within 2000 miles. One of them was visibly leaking fluid. There are four things about the 9000XL shocks that drew me to them:
1. Adjustability - I can change the shock's response for different situations. 5 front/5 rear for unloaded. 5 front/9 rear when the trailer is connected. My challenge is remembering to make the change.
2. Price - Less expensive than Fox
3. Warranty - Lifetime
4. Non-rebuildable - I don't want to rebuild shocks. I had to have that done with a set of Sway-A-Way shocks on my prior truck and it was a logistical pain as well as being expensive.

The 9000XL shocks are generally well received here on the forum. They're not sexy like the Fox shocks but I'm not buying them for bragging rights, I just want them to work.

Old 02-21-2019, 09:43 AM
Sf jakey
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I have always run Bilstein and been very happy. I recently put the fox performance on my 17 because the bilstein was still not available. Best mistake bilstein ever made on my part. I really like the ride of the fox, especially towing. They are a much better shock all around than the bilstein in my surprised experience.

Old 02-21-2019, 01:15 PM
No.15
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My experience is the fox ride to rough if you plan on staying on pavement. I switched to the rx9000 and have been happy with them and their adjustability. Bottom line is no matter what you do it's going to be a super duty and ride a little rough. Loaded should be better

Old 02-21-2019, 02:27 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
At over 85,000 miles, I'm still using the OEM shocks, and they work just fine. If everybody would stop buying shocks, wheels, and tires and just send me the money, I'd be able to pay cash for a brand new truck!
If you want a plush ride in a vehicle shaped like a truck, buy GM. Otherwise, let 10 pounds out of your tires when empty and fill 'em back up when you are loaded.

Old 02-21-2019, 02:34 PM
jbrnigan
More Turbo
Received 130 Likes on 58 Posts
Rancho 5000X's and lower tire pressure when riding empty.....

Old 02-21-2019, 02:52 PM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by wrvond
At over 85,000 miles, I'm still using the OEM shocks, and they work just fine. If everybody would stop buying shocks, wheels, and tires and just send me the money, I'd be able to pay cash for a brand new truck!
If you want a plush ride in a vehicle shaped like a truck, buy GM. Otherwise, let 10 pounds out of your tires when empty and fill 'em back up when you are loaded.
You THINK it rides fine because your keisters rate of recognition is slower that the rate of shock deterioration. Pull a shock, any of your OEM shocks, and compress it. Three weeks later, you’ll find it still compressed. AND, put ANY new non-OEM shocks on and you’ll be amazed at the difference. Been there, done that. I switched OEM shocks on my 2013 F350 to Bilsteins. The OEM shocks sat on my barn floor for a month. Fully compressed. Three of the four never extended. They had 25k on them. SHOT. My dad was obstinate on his old shocks at 80k. I said I’d pay for the new shocks if they weren’t an improvement. He never asked for a dime, but he couldn’t get over the lack of extension without leakage with his old shocks showed after being pulled off. If you’re happy, great. I only like one crack one way. Ride in a one ton with bad factory shocks can result in another, perpendicular to the first. 😆

Old 02-21-2019, 02:57 PM
adamsfbay
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bjones211
Wait until you tow. I suspect the weight will smooth things out. TBH (I have a 2018 Limited 4X4) I found the factory ride nice, just with a less planted feel, bump steer, and osicallations after hitting rough patches in the road. I don’t tow, and used a King coilover in front to level the truck, and adjustable Kings in the back as well. I also added quite of bit of nose, center, and rear weight with steel bumpers and a larger diesel tank (short bed). That, and 295/65/20 tires (Toyo AT2) that also improved ride. In the end, all things added, night and day over stock, and superior to the Fox reservoirs I tried in between by a good margin.

I agree with others - weight, tires/wheels, pressure first to smooth. Then suspension if you still aren’t happy and want to spend $$$$

Old 02-21-2019, 03:26 PM
67L48
Posting Guru
Received 174 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by wrvond
At over 85,000 miles, I'm still using the OEM shocks, and they work just fine. [...]
That's not likely to be objectively true. You may not mind the ride at all, but it's likely that they are no longer working fine, as defined by the function they were designed to do. If you replaced them even with inexpensive Monroe shocks, you may be surprised about the driving characteristics.

Old 02-21-2019, 06:49 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by 67L48
That's not likely to be objectively true. You may not mind the ride at all, but it's likely that they are no longer working fine, as defined by the function they were designed to do. If you replaced them even with inexpensive Monroe shocks, you may be surprised about the driving characteristics.
Objectively, it’s absolutely true. The vehicle maintains contact with the surface of the road in a predictable manner. When I hit a bump, dip, or pothole the truck settles immediately. That is the function they are designed to perform.
This is hardly my first rodeo, or even my first Super Duty.
The point I was making is that 1000 miles is a bit soon to assume the shocks need to be replaced. I am well aware the manufacturer recommends replacement at 50,000 miles but since mine are still working well I have chosen to not replace them yet.

Old 02-21-2019, 07:17 PM
7591250sd
Senior User
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by smokewagun

You THINK it rides fine because your keisters rate of recognition is slower that the rate of shock deterioration. Pull a shock, any of your OEM shocks, and compress it. Three weeks later, you’ll find it still compressed. AND, put ANY new non-OEM shocks on and you’ll be amazed at the difference. Been there, done that. I switched OEM shocks on my 2013 F350 to Bilsteins. The OEM shocks sat on my barn floor for a month. Fully compressed. Three of the four never extended. They had 25k on them. SHOT. My dad was obstinate on his old shocks at 80k. I said I’d pay for the new shocks if they weren’t an improvement. He never asked for a dime, but he couldn’t get over the lack of extension without leakage with his old shocks showed after being pulled off. If you’re happy, great. I only like one crack one way. Ride in a one ton with bad factory shocks can result in another, perpendicular to the first. 😆
none gas shocks stay at whatever position they were for years, that is not a indication of a issue .

Quick Reply: 2019 Limited F250 Shock Upgrade?