1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

2001 5.4 2 Valve Intake Manifold / Valve Cover Gasket Job Parts List

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2019, 09:35 AM
Surfnski
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 5.4 2 Valve Intake Manifold / Valve Cover Gasket Job Parts List

So I have this truck which has been giving me lean codes on both cylinder banks for months and I finally want to fix it. I looked all over for the obvious leaky vac hose or boot but found nothing. After doing a smoke test on the intake plenum it appeared to be puffing a little smoke from beneath where the intake manifold meets the head so I believe that may be the root of my problem (leaking intake gasket). Is it okay to reuse the plastic manifold and just replace the gaskets? I see a lot of threads on cracked plastic intakes but I don't believe mine is cracked as I didn't see any other leaks so I'd like to reuse it unless it's likely to have other issues that I'm not aware of.

While I have the intake off I want to go ahead and replace both valve cover gaskets as I noticed one was leaking I while I was doing a spark plug change a few months back. Should I expect to have problems disconnecting the lower EGR tube from the exhaust manifold on the driver side? It looks like this needs to come off to get the valve cover off. Truck has relatively low mileage for its age (136K / 2001) so I'm hopeful that penetrating spray and maybe some heat will help me get this off if required.

So in preparation to do this work I want to compile a parts list to make sure I have everything I need once I get started. Here's what I have so far, let me know if there's anything else I should be looking at while I'm in there.

Intake Manifold gaskets
Coolant crossover tube gaskets
Upper plenum to throttle assembly gasket
Thermostat and water neck gasket
Valve cover gaskets and bolt grommets
Spark plugs - Might as well replace them while I have it torn down. I have a Cal Van inset kit on hand should I come across any damaged plug threads.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:48 AM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I would add antifreeze and a new thermostat to the list.

Old 02-20-2019, 11:22 AM
Surfnski
New User
Originally Posted by Sam I Am
I would add antifreeze and a new thermostat to the list.
Noted and thanks for the response. Was planning on replacing the Tstat and just topping off coolant as it was flushed pretty thoroughly over the summer when I replaced both heater cores.

Just trying to make sure I have all parts in hand before I get started as I want to finish this job once I get started. I’m also considering replacing the COPS with an aftermarket set, maybe MSD or Accel.

Old 02-20-2019, 01:08 PM
Surfnski
New User
After doing some more research I feel like it would be a good idea to go ahead and replace the intake manifold. Looks like OEM Ford is around 400 bucks ouch! Does anyone have anything to say good or bad about the aftermarket by dorman and others that I see on rock auto?

Old 02-20-2019, 03:08 PM
pdqford
Logistics Pro
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts
Just an FYI, a leaky valve cover gasket can contribute to lean convictions, just like a lose dip stick tube can. It can allow air to by pass the MAF, come up through the PCV system and into the intake tract as unmetered air. Just be sure the smoke from under the intake manifold isn’t coming from a valve cover gasket.

Old 02-20-2019, 03:21 PM
Surfnski
New User
Originally Posted by pdqford
Just an FYI, a leaky valve cover gasket can contribute to lean convictions, just like a lose dip stick tube can. It can allow air to by pass the MAF, come up through the PCV system and into the intake tract as unmetered air. Just be sure the smoke from under the intake manifold isn’t coming from a valve cover gasket.
Ahh thanks for the heads up, I wouldn't have thought of that. May be worth a closer inspection with the smoke test.

Old 02-20-2019, 04:06 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
After you mentioned buying aftermarket coils I was going to say that I would rather spend than money toward buying a new intake instead. If the coils are not currently misfiring then what I would do is change the boots and keep the coils.

Old 02-20-2019, 04:13 PM
Surfnski
New User
Originally Posted by Sam I Am
After you mentioned buying aftermarket coils I was going to say that I would rather spend than money toward buying a new intake instead. If the coils are not currently misfiring then what I would do is change the boots and keep the coils.
Yeah I think you're right. Current coils are not misfiring and I could replace them pretty easily down the road. Anybody aware of any problems with the aftermarket intake manifolds? Any brands to stay away from?

Old 02-23-2019, 11:14 AM
enriched&beyound
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Surfnski
Yeah I think you're right. Current coils are not misfiring and I could replace them pretty easily down the road. Anybody aware of any problems with the aftermarket intake manifolds? Any brands to stay away from?
Last summer when I did mine, I noticed that the Dorman ones did not have as many of the brass thread inserts imbedded in the in molded plastic as the OEM units. I did use a different aftermarket one but it had more of the embedded brass thread inserts & so far no issues. The rest the holes used heavy pitch screws instead of bolts, which can be stripped really easily. If I had to do it again probably would spring for the OEM... or the older style aluminum ones.

as for the aftermarket COPs I also agree that to wait and see if the new intake manifold helps with the possible misfires. Hear again even more so, the OEM stuff really is worth the extra funds

Last edited by enriched&beyound; 02-23-2019 at 11:19 AM. Reason: more
Old 02-23-2019, 11:19 AM
Surfnski
New User
Originally Posted by enriched&beyound
Last summer when I did mine, I noticed that the Dorman ones did not have as many of the brass thread inserts imbedded in the in molded plastic as the OEM units. I did use a different aftermarket one but it had more of the embedded brass thread inserts & so far no issues. The rest the holes used heavy pitch screws instead of bolts, which can be stripped really easily. If I had to do it again probably would spring for the OEM... or the older style aluminum one
Thanks for your input. I ended up going with a genuine ford intake to play it safe. Didn’t want to take a chance on the others. Just waiting for parts to arrive now...

Old 03-02-2019, 10:48 AM
Surfnski
New User
Update

All back together and so far I've driven it about 100 miles with various types of driving with no CEL! I think my problem is resolved! So far I haven't noticed any rough idle on cold starts, I'm pretty confident that was intake leak related.

If you're doing this project I would recommend taking pictures of the valve covers with all of the bolts installed so you can later reference where the stud/post bolts go that hold the wire looms in place. Also some sort of fuel injection service may not be a bad idea either while you have it torn down. My injectors were rather crusty looking on the outside from all of the debris that had fallen down around them over the years but I think they were still working fine so I just cleaned them up and installed new O-rings and replaced them.

Here's my updated parts list of what I ended up needing.

Intake manifold gaskets- I went with FelPro
Ford OEM intake manifold which comes with new aluminum coolant crossover installed and throttle body gasket.
Thermostat
Thermostat housing O-ring
Thermostat housing bolts x2 - These were crusty and I ended up breaking one off so I replaced them both.
COP replacement boots
Spark Plugs
Valve cover gaskets and bolt grommets - FelPro
Cal Van Spark Plug Thread Repair Kit - I knew I had one plug that had a previous repair that I didn't trust so I installed a new insert while I had it torn down.