2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

F-350 Order: Options Review & Comment

Old 02-19-2019, 04:49 PM
67L48
Posting Guru
Received 174 Likes on 100 Posts
Exclamation F-350 Order: Options Review & Comment

Yes, the very nature of these options is due to the fact that we all value these features a bit differently than one another. It makes it a personal decision, but I'll still ask for opinions. I'm about ready to order for an early-May delivery. Numbered for ease of discussion, not out of any priority (or other reason):
  1. F-350 Lariat 4WD Crew Cab Short Bed, 6.7 Diesel. Non-negotiable. Not worth discussing. None of these things are changing.
  2. 2-tone Ruby Red with Magnetic (Stone Grey). Also non-negotiable.
  3. 3.55 locking rear axle. I don't see myself ever using the locking axle, especially due to the ~20 mph speed rating. But, I can't say no to that option and like the option if I ever need it. I prefer the 3.55 over the 3.31, particularly if I get larger tires in the future..
  4. 18" wheels. I don't like 20" wheels and would opt for 18" even if 20" were free. Many more options for tires in 18".
  5. Lariat Ultimate. Virtually everything in this package is something I value. I keep trucks for 15 years.
  6. Tow Technology. This is an expensive package and it will bother me to see this cut in half the next couple of years. But, I do intent to tow a camping trailer with this and want this included.
  7. Snow Plow/Camper Package. This one is controversial. I'm never putting on a plow, I'm not putting on a heavy bumper/winch, and I'm not sliding in a camper. I have to at least do the HD front springs for the 3.55 + 18" wheel combo. The Camper package is an extra $35 that adds the rear sway bar. So, I'd at least get the Camper package. The Snow Plow, in theory,upgrades the alternator ... but that gets added later with the supplemental heat. (According to the order guide, the diesel starts at single 220 A, then goes to dual @ 332 with upfitter, then goes to dual @ 377 with Rapid Heat) So, for another $70, the snow plow cranks the springs from 5,600 to 5,990 lbs. I want the added support for the monolithic diesel engine. I have also seen pics where this causes the front to ride about 1-2" higher than the standard 5,200 lb springs. Not the same a level kit ... but a sort of factory level kit. Yes, it may ride rougher, but I couldn't tell in the test drives I went on.
  8. Tough Bed Spray-In Liner. I've watched the YouTube videos that show that it's not as good as Line-X/Rhino. But, it's cheaper and it's just done. Easy.
  9. Blind Spot (BLIS). I have this in my wife's Subaru (Eye-Sight) and I think it's great. With a big truck, I couldn't not order this.
  10. Engine Block Heater. Probably a feature that I'll never use, but it costs $90. My truck is garaged in an insulated garage. In Colorado, it really only gets to 0 to -10F on the coldest nights where I live ... maybe a bit colder, but not lower than -20 F. And, the garage stays warmer, of course. But, still, makes the truck more complete at a low price.
  11. Clearance lights. Non-negotiable. I'm old school. Love the lights.
  12. Quad Beam LED Headlamps. Like with the Tow Technology, this is a really expensive option that I'd expect to plummet in price in the coming 2 years. They are just way too cool and useful a feature to leave out.
  13. Mud Flaps. I want these and the entire set of 4 is only about $110. That's a good deal for installed mudflaps.
  14. 6" Chrome Extended Running Boards. I have tried out all 3 variations: 6" standard, 6" extended, and the powered ones. By far, I prefer the extended.
  15. LT275/70R18 A/T BSW. I intend to keep my stock tires until they wear out, so an A/S tire is a non-starter. I don't like OWL tires ... get too dirty and look crappy. Plus Bleche-White changed its formulation a few years ago and it just doesn't work as well anymore. No OWL.
  16. Adaptive Cruise Control. Same story about my wife's Subaru. Complete game-changer for me; I wouldn't order a new vehicle without this.
  17. All-Weather Floor Mats. Yep, not as good as Husky/WeatherTech. About half-price, though. That makes them a good value and good enough.
  18. Rapid-Heat Supplemental Heater. I'm in CO, so this is a mandatory option. It used to be standard (meaning, it was simply included with the base price). Ford still calls this "standard" in its ordering guide, but it's not. It's not included in the base price like all of the other "standard" items. Rather, it's a $250 option that is mandatory to add. But, doing this also forces the 67B Dual Alternators at 377 Amps.
  19. HomeLink Garage Door Opener. Absolutely shameful that this isn't included in a Lariat Ultimate build. I use my garage door openers in my vehicles, so I got to eat the $120.
  20. Upfitter Switches. No-brainer.
MSRP: $75,330
X-Plan: $71,030
Quote: $70,000 (OTD before govt)

Here's what I'm not doing:
  1. Moonroof. Super common. I hate them. I don't use them and they break. I'm 3:3 on Ford truck platforms that have had moonroofs that have failed in some capacity. Yes, it's an incredibly, microscopically small sample size. But, you couldn't give me a moonroof. It's also heavy and expensive.
  2. Rear heated seat. Have these in the wife's car and the kids surprisingly rarely use the feature.
  3. FX4. I don't want the skid plates, am ambivalent about the sticker, and can add hill descent later with FORSCAN if I so choose. The "upgraded shocks" are humorous ... or sad ... or both.
  4. Chrome. I went back and forth on this. The net difference is about $750 based on how I built it out (you get a running board credit with the chrome). You get the extended running boards for half price, chrome wheels, chrome door handles, chrome mirror caps, chrome tow hoooks, chrome bed tie-downs (only if you do NOT get the spray-in liner), and chrome exhaust tip. I like the door handles and exhaust tip. I'm ambivalent about the mirror and tow hooks. I don't like the wheels as much as standard. So, not enough value. Plus, my 2006 Explorer had factory chrome wheels that pitted within about 4 years. My buddy's 2014 F150 had factory chrome rims that pitted in less than 2 years. So, I'm bearish about chrome.
  5. 5th Wheel Prep. I don't have any plans for a 5er in the next 5-10 years, but I bet the F350 eventually sees one. I'll cross that bridge later. For the next decade it would just be expensive and heavy.

Thoughts? Did I miss something? Am I thinking poorly about one of these features/options?

Thanks.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:25 PM
mattymax
Fleet Mechanic
Received 83 Likes on 45 Posts
Looks like a nice build. Good choice on the sun roof. Too scary for me. That's why I pre-ordered. Many of the lariats on the lots had the sunroof.

I know the 18's are nice, but I went with the 20's because these trucks are just so darn massive that the 20's look "more natural" on such a large truck, if that makes sense. It all comes down to what you like but personally I think the 18's are too small.
I had 18's on my 2011 2500HD and loved them. By far a smaller truck.

I went with NO liner from FORD. My LINE-X is going in next week. $200 or so more for the top grade LINEX with UV Protection. (another personal preference)

Chrome. I did NOT do because I like the painted parts better and couldn't get my 20" aluminum wheels with this package. I do love those 6.7 chrome factory tips though.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:37 PM
Mkos1980
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
I opted out of the spray in liner on my build as well and had line x do it. Its 525 to have the bed sprayed which is cheaper then Ford. I actually got it done last month for 500 since I was a returning customer. Michael better then Fords version.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:48 PM
edjunior
Cargo Master
Received 60 Likes on 45 Posts
You have a heckuva build already. One comment about the camper package though (#7). It also adds a leaf to the rear springs (at least on the F-250...not sure about the 350, it may already be there), But with my 5th wheel (and I know you said you don't have one in your immediate future), but this so far has helped alleviate the need for air bags. Both my previous trucks needed air bags to help "unsquat" them, and help with the bounce of the 5er. But so far (and I've only had one test drive, not a real trip yet), that extra spring (and sway) bar have helped avoid this.

I like the chrome. But again, it's a personal thing.

Sounds like you have everything else covered! Good luck.

Old 02-19-2019, 07:54 PM
Paw's 150 Lariat
Logistics Pro
Received 2,171 Likes on 679 Posts
Sounds like you're doing your homework and the truck specs sound great to me. Ought to be a beaut!!

Old 02-19-2019, 08:09 PM
Grey SD
Freshman User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I would think again about not getting the 5th wheel prep package. If you are ever thinking of a fifth wheel, better get it now.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:11 PM
Mkos1980
Laughing Gas
Like the other guys, we have a 30ft TT but all of our other family members have 5ers. The wife's eyes are always wondering so I ordered the 5th package "just in case"

Old 02-19-2019, 08:15 PM
Mkos1980
Laughing Gas
Also, I didn't get the Fx4 but for 100 bucks you can get the skidplates separate. Heck of a deal.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:21 PM
Ben Elliott
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 67L48
Yes, the very nature of these options is due to the fact that we all value these features a bit differently than one another. It makes it a personal decision, but I'll still ask for opinions. I'm about ready to order for an early-May delivery. Numbered for ease of discussion, not out of any priority (or other reason):
  1. F-350 Lariat 4WD Crew Cab Short Bed, 6.7 Diesel. Non-negotiable. Not worth discussing. None of these things are changing.
  2. 2-tone Ruby Red with Magnetic (Stone Grey). Also non-negotiable.
  3. 3.55 locking rear axle. I don't see myself ever using the locking axle, especially due to the ~20 mph speed rating. But, I can't say no to that option and like the option if I ever need it. I prefer the 3.55 over the 3.31, particularly if I get larger tires in the future..
  4. 18" wheels. I don't like 20" wheels and would opt for 18" even if 20" were free. Many more options for tires in 18".
  5. Lariat Ultimate. Virtually everything in this package is something I value. I keep trucks for 15 years.
  6. Tow Technology. This is an expensive package and it will bother me to see this cut in half the next couple of years. But, I do intent to tow a camping trailer with this and want this included.
  7. Snow Plow/Camper Package. This one is controversial. I'm never putting on a plow, I'm not putting on a heavy bumper/winch, and I'm not sliding in a camper. I have to at least do the HD front springs for the 3.55 + 18" wheel combo. The Camper package is an extra $35 that adds the rear sway bar. So, I'd at least get the Camper package. The Snow Plow, in theory,upgrades the alternator ... but that gets added later with the supplemental heat. (According to the order guide, the diesel starts at single 220 A, then goes to dual @ 332 with upfitter, then goes to dual @ 377 with Rapid Heat) So, for another $70, the snow plow cranks the springs from 5,600 to 5,990 lbs. I want the added support for the monolithic diesel engine. I have also seen pics where this causes the front to ride about 1-2" higher than the standard 5,200 lb springs. Not the same a level kit ... but a sort of factory level kit. Yes, it may ride rougher, but I couldn't tell in the test drives I went on.
  8. Tough Bed Spray-In Liner. I've watched the YouTube videos that show that it's not as good as Line-X/Rhino. But, it's cheaper and it's just done. Easy.
  9. Blind Spot (BLIS). I have this in my wife's Subaru (Eye-Sight) and I think it's great. With a big truck, I couldn't not order this.
  10. Engine Block Heater. Probably a feature that I'll never use, but it costs $90. My truck is garaged in an insulated garage. In Colorado, it really only gets to 0 to -10F on the coldest nights where I live ... maybe a bit colder, but not lower than -20 F. And, the garage stays warmer, of course. But, still, makes the truck more complete at a low price.
  11. Clearance lights. Non-negotiable. I'm old school. Love the lights.
  12. Quad Beam LED Headlamps. Like with the Tow Technology, this is a really expensive option that I'd expect to plummet in price in the coming 2 years. They are just way too cool and useful a feature to leave out.
  13. Mud Flaps. I want these and the entire set of 4 is only about $110. That's a good deal for installed mudflaps.
  14. 6" Chrome Extended Running Boards. I have tried out all 3 variations: 6" standard, 6" extended, and the powered ones. By far, I prefer the extended.
  15. LT275/70R18 A/T BSW. I intend to keep my stock tires until they wear out, so an A/S tire is a non-starter. I don't like OWL tires ... get too dirty and look crappy. Plus Bleche-White changed its formulation a few years ago and it just doesn't work as well anymore. No OWL.
  16. Adaptive Cruise Control. Same story about my wife's Subaru. Complete game-changer for me; I wouldn't order a new vehicle without this.
  17. All-Weather Floor Mats. Yep, not as good as Husky/WeatherTech. About half-price, though. That makes them a good value and good enough.
  18. Rapid-Heat Supplemental Heater. I'm in CO, so this is a mandatory option. It used to be standard (meaning, it was simply included with the base price). Ford still calls this "standard" in its ordering guide, but it's not. It's not included in the base price like all of the other "standard" items. Rather, it's a $250 option that is mandatory to add. But, doing this also forces the 67B Dual Alternators at 377 Amps.
  19. HomeLink Garage Door Opener. Absolutely shameful that this isn't included in a Lariat Ultimate build. I use my garage door openers in my vehicles, so I got to eat the $120.
  20. Upfitter Switches. No-brainer.
MSRP: $75,330
X-Plan: $71,030
Quote: $70,000 (OTD before govt)

Here's what I'm not doing:
  1. Moonroof. Super common. I hate them. I don't use them and they break. I'm 3:3 on Ford truck platforms that have had moonroofs that have failed in some capacity. Yes, it's an incredibly, microscopically small sample size. But, you couldn't give me a moonroof. It's also heavy and expensive.
  2. Rear heated seat. Have these in the wife's car and the kids surprisingly rarely use the feature.
  3. FX4. I don't want the skid plates, am ambivalent about the sticker, and can add hill descent later with FORSCAN if I so choose. The "upgraded shocks" are humorous ... or sad ... or both.
  4. Chrome. I went back and forth on this. The net difference is about $750 based on how I built it out (you get a running board credit with the chrome). You get the extended running boards for half price, chrome wheels, chrome door handles, chrome mirror caps, chrome tow hoooks, chrome bed tie-downs (only if you do NOT get the spray-in liner), and chrome exhaust tip. I like the door handles and exhaust tip. I'm ambivalent about the mirror and tow hooks. I don't like the wheels as much as standard. So, not enough value. Plus, my 2006 Explorer had factory chrome wheels that pitted within about 4 years. My buddy's 2014 F150 had factory chrome rims that pitted in less than 2 years. So, I'm bearish about chrome.
  5. 5th Wheel Prep. I don't have any plans for a 5er in the next 5-10 years, but I bet the F350 eventually sees one. I'll cross that bridge later. For the next decade it would just be expensive and heavy.

Thoughts? Did I miss something? Am I thinking poorly about one of these features/options?

Thanks.
i could be wrong but seems like your MSRP would be really close to a king ranch build. They offer the ruby red with grey two tone and your 18’s would have painted caribou inserts that match the stone grey I think.

If you don’t like the king ranch interior then by all means stick with the lariat.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:22 PM
ATC_F350
Laughing Gas
Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts
Get the gooseneck prep package, it’s worth it for flexibility and resell. I wouldn’t worry about skid plates. I have driven through some rough stuff and never had an issue with my ‘01.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:37 PM
67L48
Posting Guru
Received 174 Likes on 100 Posts
My F150 I have now is a King Ranch. I'm ready for a change. Plus, the King Ranch model comparably equipped both comes with moonroof (deal-killer) and is a few thousand more. I just don't value the King Ranch.

Also, I have skid plates on the F150 and I don't like them. It seems like I barely nicked a rock once and bent the lip on the plate. It was just so that at certain resonant frequencies, it made a horrible rattling noise. For a few years (yes, years), I thought my transmission was on the fritz. Shop couldn't find anything. Took me months of tracking around my exhaust hardware, bolts, and so on. Finally, on a lark, I just removed my skid plate. Problem solved. Ugh.

One day, I'll regret the 5th wheel prep package. However, it's over $500 and a feature I won't use for a decade. I'm at my budget limit, so I'm going to pass. Plus, my coveted payload sticker will look that much nicer without the prep.

Old 02-19-2019, 08:43 PM
Ben Elliott
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 67L48
My F150 I have now is a King Ranch. I'm ready for a change. Plus, the King Ranch model comparably equipped both comes with moonroof (deal-killer) and is a few thousand more. I just don't value the King Ranch.

Also, I have skid plates on the F150 and I don't like them. It seems like I barely nicked a rock once and bent the lip on the plate. It was just so that at certain resonant frequencies, it made a horrible rattling noise. For a few years (yes, years), I thought my transmission was on the fritz. Shop couldn't find anything. Took me months of tracking around my exhaust hardware, bolts, and so on. Finally, on a lark, I just removed my skid plate. Problem solved. Ugh.

One day, I'll regret the 5th wheel prep package. However, it's over $500 and a feature I won't use for a decade. I'm at my budget limit, so I'm going to pass. Plus, my coveted payload sticker will look that much nicer without the prep.
then i think you know what you want. You won’t regret all the led and technology stuff. It will hold its value. Because every time a car manufacturer comes out with new technology they charge a lot more then what you paid for the previous technology. The led lights at night are a godsend . I got the mud flaps - thought that’s was a great deal. Got roof lights , love them . I think they did a great job on the OEM spray in Bed liner

only thing i wasnt wasn’t a great fan of was the floor mats . I got the all weather mats- if I did it again I would just order the weathertech or huskys while your waiting for your build.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:16 PM
khensley
Senior User
Received 27 Likes on 14 Posts
Dont understand the aversion to Moon roof. Every truck and car I've had in the last 20 years had a moon roof.

I live in the Willamette Valley in Oregon....it RAINS here.

NEVER had an issue, not one. The only roofs I've heard having problems have been aftermarket.

Perhaps the cold weather causes issues?

My F250 that's on a rail car somewhere in the midwest doesn't have a moonroof, simply because $1500 is crazy to me for that option, not because of problems.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:20 PM
BowtieConvert
Lead Driver
Received 2,506 Likes on 827 Posts
Your build looks like a really nice truck. As mentioned before, get the 5th wheel / gooseneck prep package. Gets you a trailer plug in the bed to boot.

Old 02-19-2019, 09:27 PM
Bombero
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Very similar to my build. I did the skid plates, not the FX4 package. I off-road a lot for hunting, so I did the skid plates and put BCS Fox 2.0 afterwards.

The main thing I would question is doing the snow plow/camper package just to force the 3.55 rear end with the 18” wheels. I went 18” also, and I went 3.31 rear end. Do a search on this and you’ll find many members with the 6.7 and the 3.31 who are towing a lot of weight, and are completely happy. I wouldn’t (didn’t) upgrade the snow plow/camper package to force the 3.55.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: F-350 Order: Options Review & Comment