6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

FS2500 Bypass Filter Installation Issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 07:14 PM
coolfeet
Fleet Mechanic
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
FS2500 Bypass Filter Installation Issues

I bought the FS2500 bypass filter for keeping my oil clean in between regular oil changes. The kit arrived with rust and metal debris inside the filter housing unit. I called and complained and got their immediate attention. The owner emailed me with this response. It was a fair response. What looked like metal shavings may have been rust. I used to work in semiconductor manufacturing and spotless was our standard. I know automotive is different.

"Mark, the bottom of the canister is machined from a solid piece of 1018 steel. After welding, the canister has to be washed before it can be powder coated. Depending on how much time transpires between washing and powder coating, rust will sometimes form in the bottom of the canister. This rust is harmless to the engine and since oil will be in the canister from now on, the steel is not at risk. We have filters that are over 20 years old, made the same way without incident. Also remember, anything inside the canister has to get through our 98% efficient at 1-micron filter before it can get to the engine. Here’s a fun fact, the smallest thing the human can see is around 30 microns, so anything that can be seen in the canister will be removed with 100% efficiency by the element or it will stay at the bottom of the canister.

Let me know if you have more questions or concerns.

Randy "

The installation has been a headache partially because the E350 van is more of a "one-off" off configuration rather than a standard install. They sent me the F350 metal oil filler cap for the return line assuring me that the van and truck are the same. Here is a photo of the significant differences. The F350 oil fill cap will not thread into my oil fill tube. Not even a close match.

Left E350 Right F350

I need a solution for attaching the return line to the plastic oil fill cap or an adapter for an "unknown" hose size and an unknown oil pan plug with an orifice that connects to the unknown hose size. The oil fill cap has a #4JIC to 1/8" pipe 90 degree.

Filtration Solutions is not good at returning phones. They have a voice mailbox that is full. I get the feeling that it's a company run by a handful of people that do multiple jobs. Understaffed.

They sent me a return line that does not fit their own filtration system "OUT" port on the housing which is a male #4JIC end. The return "OUT" port has a .062 restrictor on the end that connects to a braided steel return hose to the oil pan. This restrictor is a male #4JIC end.

The return line is on the left. The right side is a #4JIC to 1/8" pipe 90 that goes to the oil filler cap. I have the correct hose that connects the restrictor on the oil filter housing to the oil cap. However, the oil fill cap does not work on my oil fill tube. Too many incorrect connections to make this work.

I have the correct fitting hose to the oil plug adapter. Both ends of the hose are the same size. They did not provide the size of this hose. This would work if the male "OUT" port restrictor on the oil filter housing fit the hose.

In order for this to work, one end has to fit restrictor coming out of the oil filter housing. The hose is the same size that goes to the "IN" port on the FS2500. I don't know what size the oil plug adapter is.

The FS2500 filtration housing uses #4JIC to 1/8". See photo below:

FS2500 sent me 2 different hose sizes.

If I can safely install an adapter to my plastic oil cap, I am good to go. If this was Amsoil or another filtration company, I would have a huge distributor network and lots of support. Filtration Solutions is a small company with limited resources. Sending the unit back may be the best solution.

Old 02-17-2019, 07:40 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,404 Posts
It's amazing what this world is coming to, even buying new parts.

I wouldn't worry about tapping into the van's plastic cap, but I'd make sure I supported the hose so the caps not stressed. If you have the plastic standpipe that fits between the cover and the cap like the pickup, some have side tapped into that so the cap is not altered.

On my '03 pickup truck, driver's side valve cover is a cap, similar to the oil filler cap situation. I bought another of those plugs and taped it for my return hose.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:04 PM
coolfeet
Fleet Mechanic
Jack,

Hindsight says I should have found a used Racor on eBay. My experience with FS2500 has not been pleasant. If I can find the Racor on eBay, I may request a refund. Refunds with small companies are unlikely.

I have the same fitting that you used on the part described in your reply. The top hardware is the drain plug. Both parts are standard automotive parts.

How do I correctly tap the Motorcraft EC751 Oil Cap plastic to get a secure connection?

I found this Fragola 499104#4 x 1/8 MPT 90° Swivel Adapter that is used by Amsoil. This should work as long as I securely tap it into the oil fill cap.

Old 02-17-2019, 09:21 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

I would use a JIC to NPT adapter, then drill and tap the cap to the NPT size.

Old 02-17-2019, 10:38 PM
coolfeet
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
I would use a JIC to NPT adapter, then drill and tap the cap to the NPT size.
Is the swivel adapter that I referenced from Amazon (Fragola 499104#4 x 1/8 MPT 90° Swivel Adaptert} the correct size for the oil cap? The #4JIC should fit the hose connection that FS2500 sent me. I need the swivel for the oil cap as I have to turn the oil fill cap to remove. The connecting hose is not quick connected.

I have never taped into plastic. I can drill. Not sure how to make threads in the oil fill cap. I am good at copying other peoples work. Not too good at original ideas.

Old 02-17-2019, 11:04 PM
SmackDaddy
Postmaster
Received 234 Likes on 161 Posts
I wouldn’t install any of that kit, return it and find a better company to deal with. I don’t know how these guys think they can run a business with such shoddy customer service and lack of communication.
I bought a regulated return kit last year that had rusty ends and had to request replacements. I’d rather piece together my own systems if possible for these very reasons.

Old 02-18-2019, 12:05 AM
coolfeet
Fleet Mechanic
I think returning it is the best option. I can build a bypass filter kit with available parts

Old 02-18-2019, 06:28 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Who did you get this from?
Feel like posting a link for the ones that want to look at what they have?

I think for a filter I might use one of the reusable filters that is used in small aircraft and just adapt it ot the truck.

Thanks.

Old 02-18-2019, 09:27 AM
coolfeet
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Yahiko
Who did you get this from?
Feel like posting a link for the ones that want to look at what they have?

I think for a filter I might use one of the reusable filters that is used in small aircraft and just adapt it ot the truck.

Thanks.
I bought it from Filtration Solutions World Wide. Everything always looks good from a webpage.

"The FS-2500 is considered the top-of-line bypass oil filter. Being top of the line is great, but we drew the line for thousands of customers in dozens of industries that won’t accept anything less. The FS-2500 is easy to install and service. Plus, oil sampling is available so you can see for yourself that it’s pulling its weight and living up to our claims. If not, we’ll refund your money 110%."

I hope they honor their 110% money back guarantee.

What reusable small aircraft filters are you referring to? I am curious.

All the 1 um filtering hype is mostly bunk. I need something to keep the oil cleaner than the OEM filter between oil changes. Here is an amazing quote from their web page:

"Independent research results prove the FS-2500 is 98% efficient at 1 micron."

Do we know if particles less than 10 microns really cause severe long term damage?

Old 02-18-2019, 10:54 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

If you ever saw the large oil analysis spreadsheets I did years ago, starting with the 7.3L, it was all due to in the 7.3 community the desire to do extended oil schedules and the BS that some marketers pushed on the 7.3 forum at DTS. There was one guy who pushed his filtration so hard it drove me crazy. I had enough so I volunteered to do the spreadsheets of everyone data to sort out the bull.

The problem with doing this with the 6.0L is oil viscosity shear. You can't go 50k miles with one oil change like the 7.3 can. Anyway, with all that I chose the Racor system, the same company that has been designing and supplying fuel and oil filtration for the Powerstrokes since before it was a Powerstroke. But the one I purchased was more affordable to what is sold today, the LFS 7 micron system. I've had it on both my 7.3 and 6.0, but not sure its worthwhile to do it again on the 6.0. Especially once I run out of the filter medium that used to only cost $10.

If you can hunt down information from Racor there is a lot of discussion about how much cleanliness is necessary and achievable.

Here's a start:

Better Oil Filtration - Four Wheeler Magazine

Attached are the 7.3L and 6.0L studies as I left them.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
60current.pdf (252.1 KB, 22 views)
File Type: pdf
73L Oil Study.pdf (345.4 KB, 18 views)
Old 02-18-2019, 04:20 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by coolfeet
I bought it from Filtration Solutions World Wide. Everything always looks good from a webpage.

"The FS-2500 is considered the top-of-line bypass oil filter. Being top of the line is great, but we drew the line for thousands of customers in dozens of industries that won’t accept anything less. The FS-2500 is easy to install and service. Plus, oil sampling is available so you can see for yourself that it’s pulling its weight and living up to our claims. If not, we’ll refund your money 110%."

I hope they honor their 110% money back guarantee.

What reusable small aircraft filters are you referring to? I am curious.

All the 1 um filtering hype is mostly bunk. I need something to keep the oil cleaner than the OEM filter between oil changes. Here is an amazing quote from their web page:

"Independent research results prove the FS-2500 is 98% efficient at 1 micron."

Do we know if particles less than 10 microns really cause severe long term damage?

I will have to go over to the air feild I go to when picking up project parts to find the one I was thinking of.
I looked with Google and am not finding the one I am thinking of.

I did find this thing. However it's not the bypass type. One other to look at is the one that uses
Bypass Oil Cleaning Centrifuge to remove the particles from the oil and then return to the crankcase.
Look here >>> https://www.dieselcraft.com/engine-oil-cleaning/

Here is a reusable main filter. Might make a good pairing.

https://shop.gopurepower.com/pure-po...ilter-783.html

Old 02-18-2019, 04:50 PM
coolfeet
Fleet Mechanic
TooManyToys,

Thanks for the links and article. I read the article. The oil analysis provides proof that bypass filters work. I would never do it for saving money on oil changes or hoping to have honey colored oil. I want the before an after particle count to be close.

FS2500 sent me the correct fitting today to the oil filter housing. However, I bought the 90-degree adapter to the oil filler cap as 1 return line hovering over the ground in my van does not sit well with me. I ordered the 1/8-27 NPT High Carbon Steel Pipe Tap on Amazon.

I hunted around the latest Racor bypass filter and at $900 is not worth buying.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:05 PM
coolfeet
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Yahiko

I did find this thing. However, it's not the bypass type. One other to look at is the one that uses
Bypass Oil Cleaning Centrifuge to remove the particles from the oil and then return to the crankcase.
Look here >>> https://www.dieselcraft.com/engine-oil-cleaning/

Here is a reusable main filter. Might make a good pairing.

https://shop.gopurepower.com/pure-po...ilter-783.html

Both are nice products. I like the centrifuge bypass oil filter.

Old 02-18-2019, 05:16 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by coolfeet
Both are nice products. I like the centrifuge bypass oil filter.
That is how I am leaning. I am not looking to extend the miles between.
​​​​​​​Just would like to keep the crud out of the oil between changes.

Old 02-18-2019, 06:16 PM
coolfeet
Fleet Mechanic
Yahiko,

the permenant filter is a great idea for peeps that change their oil every 3-5k. However I don’t like the idea of cleaning it.

Quick Reply: FS2500 Bypass Filter Installation Issues