1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

What Effect Change **** Part Two

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2019, 11:48 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What Effect Change **** Part Two

When I bought my 1948 F1 Panel Truck it wasn't going to be mine - There is a Guy in Upstate NY that collects, builds and sells 1946/1948 Ford Cars and parts - I was in the starting blocks on a 1946 Long Door Coupe true 60's Street Gasser just like I was a partner in in the early to mid 60's. I parked the Panel under the lean to on my garage - After a few weeks of going out every night ; Just admit your going to keep the damn thing and go mow the back yard - I did argue about the back yard part
I started planning on what I was going to do to it - BOING - I'm gonna build a parts chaser like my Father's 56 Ford Panel back in 59. Raked, stock body, Hot 312 and reversed rims - Swap out the year 48 v 56 and the engine warmed up Flatmotor 276 (With future fuel injection/electronic distributerless ign) v the 312 and American Racing Torq-Thrust v the reversed rims - As I dreamed along I decided to swap rear ends and swap to front disks - now as far as me building it, no can do - I might turn a wrench every now and then if the builders are on lunch break and/or the don't catch me pulling the air raid alarm - Did I mention the building the shop is in is an old conglomeration of attached buildings
I have started my main function buying the stuff needed - I have a quote coming for a Moser/Ford 3.89 rearend and a power front disk brake setup and some connecting parts, there is a Petronix II Ignitor II Dizzy and a Flame thrower II coil - And my Tires and Wheels are sitting in my wish box at Summit waiting for a tech to talk to me
OOPS - I forgot that my Flatmotor has shipped
The Bank can be a real pain in the butt when you try to go over their "Limit" on your credit card - 1.5 hrs on the phone to get the amount paid for a one time good deal - I have always stopped at the bank before going to auctions for a line of credit letter - Change, Change, Change doesn't work well with a 71 year old fart

Old 02-17-2019, 11:58 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Sounds ambitious Dick! Don't get over your head with the plastic, sooner or later it all comes due.

Do you really need a Moser axle for a 276? Is this a blower motor?

Old 02-17-2019, 12:51 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Sounds ambitious Dick! Don't get over your head with the plastic, sooner or later it all comes due.

Do you really need a Moser axle for a 276? Is this a blower motor?
The plastic is payed for, debit card - My ex killed my on credit cards - I was on some very heavy meds for a while, she took over the finances and took me to the cleaners, I had to get a VA advocate to help me get control back, $32,687.00 - I got rid of her, eventually the debt, and I'm shocked at how much money - Motorcycle, new roof, new furnace, new wiring, new plumbing, new garage, new Truck, no girl friend and NO DEBT. - Had and old Girlfriend stop by a few years back, akse me how I was doing, asked me if she had any chance, I told her OK and No - She gave me a kiss and told me that he car was packed to the brim and she was headed out West for good - I told her to watch out for Griz, Mt Lions, Sharks and wear plenty of sun block - Haven't heard a word from her

As for the drive train, Thr Truck is being set up for block to block power - I'm no intending to race, it's just for the look on peoples faces when this sad old Panel get a good jump on them - Might even make them pay to see under the hood
With all my ills I can't travel lucky there are some real peaceful roads to cruise on my Trike that have lots of places to get ice cream and hot dogs and they HAVE BATHROOMS

Old 02-18-2019, 10:28 AM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Well all right then, sounds like a plan that you have given much thought to, so Rock On my friend. Just don't forget to post pics as you go for us to enjoy. I'm glad to see you moving forward after that little scare with your lungs. I think it will be good for you.

Old 02-18-2019, 11:09 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by underthebridgejim
Well all right then, sounds like a plan that you have given much thought to, so Rock On my friend. Just don't forget to post pics as you go for us to enjoy. I'm glad to see you moving forward after that little scare with your lungs. I think it will be good for you.
Crap like that reminds you that there is an expiration date stamped on you somewhere - For the past 10 or 15 years I've averaged just a tad under 1100 mile total on all My vehicles - The Trike has bumped that up about 35 miles and I intend to bump my average some more with the panel as I'll be able to run it in the winter - Like I said earlier - I got the good years in early and left my mark on every continue except Antarctica and I flew over that - People will look at my Panel and give me that WTF look, like it's not a Rat Rod, But it's not stock, and it's not a custom - People will ask what is it and that's where I say MINE

Old 02-18-2019, 04:13 PM
52 USCG Panel
Logistics Pro
Received 867 Likes on 423 Posts
...So Dick, what are the chances you will have your truck ready for one of the Truckstock events this Fall? You have 6 months--parts are on the way--you could maybe do it. Your friends would like to see what emerges from the lean-to.

It's good to hear that you got a good report on your lungs. Everyday is a blessing!

Jim

Old 02-18-2019, 04:40 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,610 Likes on 1,454 Posts
Originally Posted by 52 USCG Panel
...So Dick, what are the chances you will have your truck ready for one of the Truckstock events this Fall? You have 6 months--parts are on the way--you could maybe do it. Your friends would like to see what emerges from the lean-to.

It's good to hear that you got a good report on your lungs. Everyday is a blessing!
Jim
good point Jim!

Dick, Erie us not to far from the Bald Eagle State Park in Howard, PA! It would be great to meet you!

Old 03-01-2019, 11:25 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Today I was at the Dr office and like a good boy I turned my phone off - When I was done it turned it back on and it pinged - I looked and I had 7 missed calls and 1 msg - I glanced at the calls and they were all from out of my area code - I went to the msg and the was one from Mark, Hes the guy thats going to do my Panel build he asked me to give him a call or stop by he had something he needed to talk to me about - I get there and go in the office and he's getting ready to go out the door but turns around with a big grin on his face - He waves his arm and says follow me - He goes out the door into the shop area and his partner follows me out - Mark walks around a car and points to a big box, a motor sized box - He said It's got your name on it it was still strapped done - he goes and gets some tools and comes back and asks if he can open the box - He cuts the straps and we lift the top and sides off - And there wrapped in layers of heavy cardboard and heavy duty saran wrap was the prettiest 276cu in Mercury Flatmotor you've ever seen - Alumin fined heads a two duce Offy intake, the intake will go away I have a Edlebrok 4 bbl on the way with a Holley 1st model 390 cfm carb and a 50,000 volt HEI dizzy (I hate points and condensers and coils) - I've also got lots of other goodies in my living room or on the way
I getting Giddy

The above was yesterday
Today the Bog Brown Truck stopped by
And brought me an Edelbrock Duel Plane 4 BBL Holley 390CFM Carb

I know pictures on the schedual Here is a BSEG For you

Old 03-01-2019, 11:49 AM
Harrier
Lead Driver
Received 763 Likes on 373 Posts
That's cold man! That story without pictures, cruel, just cruel.

Old 03-01-2019, 01:11 PM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
Today I was at the Dr office and like a good boy I turned my phone off - When I was done it turned it back on and it pinged - I looked and I had 7 missed calls and 1 msg - I glanced at the calls and they were all from out of my area code - I went to the msg and the was one from Mark, Hes the guy thats going to do my Panel build he asked me to give him a call or stop by he had something he needed to talk to me about - I get there and go in the office and he's getting ready to go out the door but turns around with a big grin on his face - He waves his arm and says follow me - He goes out the door into the shop area and his partner follows me out - Mark walks around a car and points to a big box, a motor sized box - He said It's got your name on it it was still strapped done - he goes and gets some tools and comes back and asks if he can open the box - He cuts the straps and we lift the top and sides off - And there wrapped in layers of heavy cardboard and heavy duty saran wrap was the prettiest 276cu in Mercury Flatmotor you've ever seen - Alumin fined heads a two duce Offy intake, the intake will go away I have a Edlebrok 4 bbl on the way with a Holley 1st model 390 cfm carb and a 50,000 volt HEI dizzy (I hate points and condensers and coils) - I've also got lots of other goodies in my living room or on the way
I getting Giddy

The above was yesterday
Today the Bog Brown Truck stopped by
And brought me an Edelbrock Duel Plane 4 BBL Holley 390CFM Carb

I know pictures on the schedual Here is a BSEG For you

I'm just sayin'