2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Ford Pass and Oil LIfe

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 09:10 AM
burgy
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Ford Pass and Oil LIfe

Had my oil changed last week. The 'oil life' in the Ford Pass app hasnt reset. Anyone know what this # is based on?
Based on miles and they for got to reset something? Super sophisticated computer that monitors the oils health? Witchcraft?

Old 02-15-2019, 09:14 AM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Mine changes instantly almost. You sure it was reset on the truck???

Old 02-15-2019, 09:15 AM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
In the diesel truck it is an oil life monitor that considers several factors to determine the oil change interval. In the gas engine, it is a simple mileage count down reminder. In either event, if the service department forgot to reset the truck, you'd still have a "change oil now" light on the instrument cluster. Often times Ford Pass is slow to update. Sometimes it helps to connect your phone to the USB port while driving to update everything.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:46 AM
blueglide
Senior User
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by burgy
Had my oil changed last week. The 'oil life' in the Ford Pass app hasnt reset. Anyone know what this # is based on?
Based on miles and they for got to reset something? Super sophisticated computer that monitors the oils health? Witchcraft?
I'm pretty sure you have to connect to a WiFi network so the truck can send data to update the Ford Pass app. I know if I don't connect the Ford Pass app to a WiFi network for awhile nothing changes in my truck data on the app. Once I connect it updates within 24 hrs.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:58 AM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by blueglide
I'm pretty sure you have to connect to a WiFi network so the truck can send data to update the Ford Pass app. I know if I don't connect the Ford Pass app to a WiFi network for awhile nothing changes in my truck data on the app. Once I connect it updates within 24 hrs.
OK that explains it! My phone is always on the USB charger in the truck. Just habit for me so there is my connectivity.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:59 AM
bernie165
Tuned
Received 95 Likes on 60 Posts
If the oil percentage is not low enough, the truck will not prompt you to "change oil soon"
I believe it is around 10% when messages will start, but may be as low as 5%. So if Ford Pass indicates an oil percentage say above 10%, chances are they did not reset the truck which is often missed in the hurry of it - but then you won't see the message either in your truck. You can see your oil life in the advanced settings tab under vehicle. This is where you can see actual oil life percentage and reset it - Ford Pass should update accordingly. In Fordpass, use vehicle location, fuel level and current weather as a guide to know whether Fordpass has in fact updated.

Old 02-15-2019, 10:15 AM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Ford Pass... your truck... NEED NOT be connected to the WiFi. I start my truck all the time and check without being connected to WiFi. Only recently did I connect my truck to WiFi to do automatic updsytgof Sync.

Old 02-15-2019, 10:21 AM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by bernie165
You can see your oil life in the advanced settings tab under vehicle. This is where you can see actual oil life percentage and reset it
Only on the Gas motor not the Diesel is this visible (oil life %). This is the only reason I use the Ford Pass App. Yes this is where you reset it. This is explained in the manual I believe as to why it is this way.

"If your vehicle is equipped with a diesel
engine, an Intelligent Oil Life Monitor™
calculates the proper oil change service
interval. When the information display
indicates: OIL CHANGE REQUIRED, change
the engine oil and oil filter. See
Information Displays (page 113)."

"The following conditions define severe
operation for which engine operation with
SAE 5W-40 API CJ-4 is recommended. Oil
and oil filter change intervals will be
determined by the Intelligent Oil Life
Monitor™ as noted previously.
• Frequent or extended idling (over 10
minutes per hour of normal driving).
• Low-speed operation/stationary use.
• If vehicle is operated in sustained
ambient temperatures below -9°F
(-23°C) or above 100°F (38°C).
• Frequent low-speed operation,
consistent heavy traffic less than
25 mph (40 km/h).
• Operating in severe dust con'ditions.
• Operating the vehicle off road.
• Towing a trailer over 1,000 mi
(1,600 km).
• Sustained, high-speed driving at Gross
Vehicle Weight Rating (maximum
loaded weight for vehicle operation).
• Use of fuels with sulfur content other
than ultra-low sulfur diesel (ULSD).
• Use of high-sulfur diesel fuel.

Old 02-15-2019, 10:39 AM
SUPERTRUCKERS
Mountain Pass
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Under the picture of your truck in the 'Vehicle Details' menu, it will tell you the last time the Ford Pass app was updated...here is what mine looks like...

Old 02-15-2019, 12:18 PM
bernie165
Tuned
Originally Posted by wrvond
In the gas engine, it is a simple mileage count down reminder.
With respect - this is incorrect. Ford universally uses an intelligent oil life monitor which as you stated monitors a multitude of parameters and calculates when oil life is depleted. More specifically, many of those parameters (application and manufacturer specific) are oil temperature, engine coolant temperature, engine hours, engine revolutions, cold starts, engine load. All of those parameters are logged and dumped into an algorithm which GM originally held a patent on some parts of it. A few things to keep in mind: some manufacturers still use dummy mileage indicators and some even let you set the counter - Nissan and Hyundai are big on this, you can turn the counter off, or turn it on and set the mileage. On intelligent monitors, the algorithm assumes you are using a quality filter and oil that meets the manufacturer's specifications.
Speaking for Ford specifically, it does not monitor oil level and does not actually monitor the oil - so it will not pick up contamination such as water, coolant and dirt. That option had also been previously explored and Delphi came out with an oil quality sensor but it was determined the oil life algorithms were so accurate, an actual sensor is not required which is one more part to go bad and was more costly. The algorithms are adjusted based on application, engine etc and are backed by countless oil analysis reports.
Now to talk Ford specific, many will be led to believe it is a dummy counter as it seems to track for 10,000 miles regardless of what you do. The 10,000 miles represents the upper limit and Ford requests that regardless of oil life status, change it once a year if don't deplete oil life based based on percentage. It stays on track with 10,000 because your service is not severe enough to shorten the oil life. The oil will really last that long!
Some numbers to throw out there for background on the 6.7 at least - Ford specs a 300 hour oil change target and a 600 hour fuel filter target, hence the change your fuel filters every other Ford Minder Oil change request. Ford, like most others, use the 33 mph average although 30 is a good round number. Do the math, 33 mph x 300 hours equals 9,900 miles.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:23 PM
bernie165
Tuned
Originally Posted by Busa 1 Dave
Only on the Gas motor not the Diesel is this visible (oil life %). This is the only reason I use the Ford Pass App. Yes this is where you reset it. This is explained in the manual I believe as to why it is this way.
On my 2019, under advanced settings where oil life reset is - when you open the tab to reset oil life, the current oil life percentage is displayed - I have the 8" display/Lariat. I can't speak for the XL/XLT displays but I am pretty sure you can find oil life there as well. What has changed for certain (at least from the 150's) is oil life percentage use to be conveniently displayed under engine information along with hours. This has been discussed in other threads - I believe there is a Forscan mod to add this back on. It is there for certain on both gas and diesel for certain if you have the larger 8" display, it's just several button pushes away.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:25 PM
crewzer
Logistics Pro
Received 267 Likes on 207 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by burgy
You can reset the oil life minder / minder yourself. In your instrument cluster, go to Settings > Advanced > Vehicle > Oil Life Reset.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

Old 02-15-2019, 12:35 PM
burgy
Tuned
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks, hadnt found where to reset it. Will check that.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:39 PM
f350ktm
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As stated above the dealer should reset oil life for you at the oil change.

I use the Ford Pass primarily for the oil life but it is also a convenient source of info on the truck such as what procedures are needed at each service interval and a notice for when a recall comes out.

Ford Pass has it's shortcomings also. My service history does not show up as it should in the app and I have never been able to determine if the vehicle health report really works.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:44 PM
crewzer
Logistics Pro
Received 267 Likes on 207 Posts
I was originally underwhelmed by the Ford Pass app on my iPhone. I now have a later version (Oct 2018?) that seems to be more useful.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

The following users liked this post:

Quick Reply: Ford Pass and Oil LIfe