Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

Custom F250 street/strip build

Old 02-14-2019, 06:42 PM
Ky76F250
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Custom F250 street/strip build

Hi everybody, I’m new here posting, but I’ve been searching through this forum for quite a while for questions and ideas with my truck as I’m new to Ford. My build is gonna take time but I hope it’s steady progress none the less. I hope what I plan on doing doesn’t sound ridiculous lol, I’ve been coming up with this plan for a while changing things and figuring out the best way to get what I want. My plan is to build a street/strip truck out of my 76 F250 2wd lwb that has updated better handling suspension, a powerful motor but just under the threshold of being to much to reliably drive it wherever I want although a DD I don’t plan on it being, and a more comfortable interior, all together coming out as clean and sharp as I can with my budget and ability. So here’s what plan I have put together so far...

-strip the frame
-shorten Lwb to swb
-cv swap front end
-rear axle flip with caltracs (maybe 4 bar Coilover swap?)
-coat frame and anything not easily powdercoated in chassis saver, powdercoat the rest
-rear disc conversion
-upgrade axle shafts for strength and to match front bolt pattern?
-new bed (not sure if flareside or styleside yet, I’d like wood bed though)
- all new body parts, cab and everything else turned out to be ate up with rust
-black interior with bucket seats and console
-keep manual column and go auto floor shifter
-drop in turbo 5.3 motor with 4L80e trans

fight now I’m still tearing everything apart, it’s being as big a PITA as possible, bolts not coming out and just spinning in place, breaking off, whatever it may be, but I can’t wait to get it all apart to start cleaning it up.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:01 PM
Ky76F250
Junior User

It’s not as clean and solid as it looks here (to me anyways) unfortunately

Old 02-14-2019, 11:29 PM
JP3
More Turbo
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Seems ambitious.

Old 02-14-2019, 11:47 PM
Ky76F250
Junior User
Well I really always wanted to do a complete frame off resto, customized, cleaned up, something really nice... maybe even borderline show quality. I have experience from ever since I was a kid, I learned a lot from my old man who was a gm master tech and built quite a few things of his own pre-marriage. When I was 15 he gave me a hand in rebuilding my first truck an 85 k10 Chevy, we did redo the interior, put in a motor and tranny, fixed wiring, it looks nice don’t get me wrong but it was a budget project for just a first truck. Since then I designed and built my own 383 stroker motor that was putting into a 79 Camaro I had but sold it all before I got in on the road, then built a 2012 Cummins, over 800hp, lowered it, then switched to a 15 Cummins and lifted it and did some work. Just to give an overview of where I’ve been, but now I’ve gotten my first ford and want to really get into this project and maybe one day be able to tell my son we’ll build him his own because he’s not wrecking mine like my dad said to me lol. So ambitious, most definitely, within my ability, I most certainly believe so. Just more knowledge to gain along the way!

Old 02-15-2019, 12:16 AM
hail destroyer
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Why not build the engine that's in it? It will be more reliable, easier to tune, cheaper to build and be WAY faster at the strip than any of that EFI crap. 460, 390, 351M400 all have their roots in drag racing and parts are still cheap for them, and its a direct fit, no fabbing, no wiring, no computers, no check engine codes or tuning with a lap top. Just bolt in and take LS/coyote money all day. Just a suggestion.

Old 02-15-2019, 12:59 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,270 Likes on 2,431 Posts
I do not know how far you are going with it, but here is a reachable goal. And great motivation IMO.

And a great plan layout to follow. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...p-by-step.html

Search threads, there is a # of tricks to get those pesky rivets out easy.

Old 02-15-2019, 02:00 AM
Ky76F250
Junior User
Originally Posted by hail destroyer
Why not build the engine that's in it? It will be more reliable, easier to tune, cheaper to build and be WAY faster at the strip than any of that EFI crap. 460, 390, 351M400 all have their roots in drag racing and parts are still cheap for them, and its a direct fit, no fabbing, no wiring, no computers, no check engine codes or tuning with a lap top. Just bolt in and take LS/coyote money all day. Just a suggestion.
i understand what your saying, building that motor into a stroker was an idea, along with 4bt, 6bt, coyote and a 460, it just didn’t play to my goals especially at the power levels I’m looking at and still trying to be streetable. However it’s hard to convince of the more reliable, faster, taking LS money all day when my best friends brother-in-law could drive his 8 second 6-speed corvette that he threw over a 300 shot of nitrous at every pass wherever he wanted and it had minimal work done to the motor. Between what I’ve seen accomplished with little work from his shop and that best friend working at Brian Tooley Racing the odds have always been in the LS favor I guess you could say lol. Once again, nothing against the motor that’s in it, just not what I finally decided on.

Old 02-15-2019, 02:10 AM
Ky76F250
Junior User
Originally Posted by 77&79F250
I do not know how far you are going with it, but here is a reachable goal. And great motivation IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tik4QgvMwd4

And a great plan layout to follow. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...p-by-step.html

Search threads, there is a # of tricks to get those pesky rivets out easy.
Ken Block is awesome, I would love to wind up with something that wild and impressive, the power goals definitely what I’m shooting for. However I do want to keep more of the classic look and I got this big feeling it’s out of my budget... if I ever want to get it done and do something else cool, like the all original 1970 cougar eliminator that was my wife’s grandads before he passed away. I’m dying to buy it from her grandmother lol. But things can change here and there along the way depending on how things go. That guide is awesome, and that’s kind of how I’ve been going. I learned the bagging bolts, nuts, etc and labeling as a kid, going through a box of bolts from a whole truck is no fun what so ever I don’t care how well someone thinks they can remember it all haha.

Old 02-15-2019, 02:27 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Originally Posted by Ky76F250
going through a box of bolts from a whole truck is no fun.
Easy just have different boxes, bed, cab, front clip, rear suspension, front suspension ect....

This thread might help? Yes I am bragging...lol https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...then-some.html

And here is a more down to earth frame off thread. DETAILS DETAILS DETAILS. Joe is doing an awesome job and almost there.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...storation.html

Oh yea, welcome to FTE and remember to join your state chapter: Kentucky https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum151/

Old 02-15-2019, 02:48 AM
Ky76F250
Junior User
Haha, brag away, I had been working my way through that already, a lot of great info! I skimmed through his build right now, ill ha e or go back and actually read it all in my spare time but that is absolutely amazing, not only a completely restored and brand new looking truck, it literally looks like brand new from the factory! That dude is one heck of a talented guy! Also I did go ahead and introduce myself to the local chapter, that’s pretty cool to have that on here. I am definitely glad I finally joined.

Old 02-15-2019, 03:21 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
With the state chapter, you can locate a source of parts, good JY's that have our years of parts. Get a hand on a big project like bed and cab pull. Maybe have a FTE Kentucky chapter G2G (get together) aka wrenchfest. We have had a few over in here in Missouri over the years. Usually at the Off Road Jamboree or at large city park. BBQ/burgers/kids included adult deal with Ford trucks.

It will be interesting to see how your project turns out.

Old 02-15-2019, 05:25 AM
hail destroyer
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ky76F250

it just didn’t play to my goals especially at the power levels I’m looking at and still trying to be streetable. However it’s hard to convince of the more reliable, faster, taking LS money all day when my best friends brother-in-law could drive his 8 second 6-speed corvette that he threw over a 300 shot of nitrous
I wasn't trying to be a douche, just offering suggestions since you mentioned you were on a budget. You can build a formidable old school carbureted big block for pennies on the dollar compared to downgrading to a much less reliable "modern" setup that will require expensive injection/computer/turbos/nitrous etc to make similar power levels, not to mention the custom fabrication required to fit it. Factory built musclecars were in the 9s and 10s off the showroom floor 50 years ago WITHOUT computers, EFI nitrous or turbos. Headers, slicks and tuning got them deeper than that. Many of those same cars are on the strip TODAY with thousands of passes on the same block, crank and heads. Hemi darts, Shelby Cobras, ZL1 vettes and Camaros are still handing EFI guys their asses yet today. Your In-laws 70 cougar eliminator (I owned one! but a Cleveland car) could easily be in the 8's with some old school tuning tricks if its a big block drag pack car........But I will agree with you as far as drivability. 4:30 gears with a close ratio 4 speed, combined with a solid lifter camshaft and no vacuum to run the brakes is no fun as a daily driver, which that is the part I missed of your post. Id much rather sacrifice some reliability and speed in exchange to have have brakes, low cruise RPMs, better MPG, be able to hear myself think and have some A/C if I had to drive it everyday as well as race it. Good luck

Old 02-15-2019, 06:38 AM
Ky76F250
Junior User
Well I didn’t mean to seem like I thought you were either lol, definitely not the case. Just explaining why I decided what I did. Because believe me I love my carbureted motors, that’s what I’ve built so far as far as gas motors, although they were sbc motors. But when it does come time for that cougar it will definitely stay old school because it will just be a toy to play and show. I opened the hood once I saw it hoping for the 429 but it turned out to be the 351 as well. Oh well I still hope to have fun with that motor, because it being all original with just 60ish thousand miles on it I do not want to go changing that up lol. I’ll see if I can’t get some pictures posted of it.

Old 02-15-2019, 06:44 AM
Ky76F250
Junior User
Old 02-15-2019, 11:01 AM
JP3
More Turbo
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Custom F250 street/strip build