6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Replacement motor suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 12:53 PM
varminthunter243
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Replacement motor suggestions

I've got an opportunity to buy a really nice 06 cclb but it's got some serious blow by. Does anybody have any reliable sources for used motors in the 2-4 grand range? Used would be the only real option I assume without blowing past the value of the truck. It has been very well maintained and has mods in all the right places, just looks like it will need a motor in the not-so-distant future.

Old 02-13-2019, 02:09 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Old 02-13-2019, 02:15 PM
varminthunter243
Senior User
Originally Posted by 87crewdually
I had been to their website, they seem like a good option. Have you used their engines before?

Old 02-13-2019, 02:20 PM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,404 Posts
It's a good option.

Old 02-13-2019, 04:16 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by varminthunter243
I've got an opportunity to buy a really nice 06 cclb but it's got some serious blow by. Does anybody have any reliable sources for used motors in the 2-4 grand range? Used would be the only real option I assume without blowing past the value of the truck. It has been very well maintained and has mods in all the right places, just looks like it will need a motor in the not-so-distant future.
How does it run? If all of the emissions is functioning when you remove the oil cap they appear to have a lot of blow by. Much more than any gasser. Even my 6.7 when new appeared to have excessive blow by.

Old 02-13-2019, 06:14 PM
varminthunter243
Senior User
Egr is deleted. I'm taking it to a very good 6 liter mechanic Friday for a comp test and block test. Hopefully I will know more about the damage and how long it's got. The mechanic that has it now says you would have no idea it was hurt if you didn't pull the oil cap. But I have seen it and so I know, can't ignore it now!

Old 02-13-2019, 09:06 PM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Cranking it using the starter trigger wire near the passenger side firewall can be a quick indicator of an issue. It should crank smooth and even. Also with IDS or a quality scanner you can run a cylinder balance test which would show a percentage low in a weak cylinder.
I don't think I'd right off that engine yet.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:23 PM
varminthunter243
Senior User
That's the plan for Friday night. It's got completely dead bricks right now so no crank or even a dome light. I looked at it about a month ago and the mechanic jumped it and we ran it for about 10 minutes. The original issue was it blew the coolant line for the egr cooler off. At idle while cold. My initial thought was a head gasket but that doesn't seem to be the case. Curious enough I just watched a video on YouTube suggesting the same test today.........was that You?

the truck has air bags in the rear, 2.5" lift, fass fuel system, looks like a mishimoto coolant filtration kit, 3 gauge pillar with egt boost and trans temp, and an sct x4. Turbo and injectors have around 10k on them. 168k on the clock. New radiator and intercooler. About 6 months old judging by the stickers on them. Brand new A/T tires. Gorgeous truck and a great maintenance history.

Old 02-16-2019, 01:33 PM
varminthunter243
Senior User
I drove the truck last night and this morning. Awesome power, idles evenly, but has a really uneven start. Mechanic I had look at it says it's got a weak cylinder but it is driveable for a while. I think I am going to pull the trigger on it and get the ball rolling on getting a motor ready for it. What are your thoughts on a used motor and putting studs in it? Assuming compressions are good, could you just put studs in 1 at a time following the torque sequence? Or is it an absolute must to pull the heads and do new gaskets, getting it machined, so on and so forth. I will have about $3500 budget to get a motor ready for it. Is that doable? Im starting to think that's a little light......

Old 02-17-2019, 10:03 AM
seijirou
Cargo Master
Received 391 Likes on 240 Posts
Reverse torque sequence.

I've read here of plenty of studded jobs blowing headgaskets anyway because the prep wasn't done right. I'd throw "one at a time" in the same category.

There are people that have done it with no issues. There are also people that never stud the block with no issues.

There's doing it right, and there's everything else.

Old 02-17-2019, 10:29 AM
F350 1990
Fleet Mechanic
Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts
It's a crap shoot using ANY used engine, most the time it's best to IGNORE most of what most sellers say --- most have not a clue and you won't know until it goes in, fires up (unless you want to invest in some very high priced shop equipment to do diagnostics before hand)

You might shell out $2K-$4K for a used engine only to find out later it needs serious work.-- most Powerstroke Engines need lots of attention

I have not purchased anything from Asheville Engines first because it's difficult to physically see their work in TN, second because their warranty is only 12 months..................my guess is they closed up shop in NC as biz slowed down................

Old 02-17-2019, 02:40 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Received 502 Likes on 359 Posts
I'd hunt the auto auctions for a wrecked low mileage truck with an intact engine. Sounds like you got time to find one. I've bought them for as low as $2500. Yank the engine and see off the other parts to lower your cost. dump the carcass with a recycler.

Old 02-17-2019, 04:28 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 214 Likes on 144 Posts
Originally Posted by F350 1990
It's a crap shoot using ANY used engine, most the time it's best to IGNORE most of what most sellers say --- most have not a clue and you won't know until it goes in, fires up (unless you want to invest in some very high priced shop equipment to do diagnostics before hand)

You might shell out $2K-$4K for a used engine only to find out later it needs serious work.-- most Powerstroke Engines need lots of attention

I have not purchased anything from Asheville Engines first because it's difficult to physically see their work in TN, second because their warranty is only 12 months..................my guess is they closed up shop in NC as biz slowed down................
Asheville is an expensive town to do business in. From their website they moved to Alexander which is still in Buncombe County.

Old 02-17-2019, 06:46 PM
Don Naslund
Laughing Gas
Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
You don't say if you can do the work yourself. I would be inclined to do it myself.

Old 02-17-2019, 10:08 PM
IHateCommieCars
Logistics Pro
Received 502 Likes on 359 Posts
Originally Posted by F350 1990

Agreed, that's why I'd rather buy a wrecked truck at auction. First, you know it was running to have been in a wreck. Second, once you've looked at a few of them, you can spot the ones that were some guy's "baby." Just being that old with low mileage is a strong indication of such. Third, as I said, you got the rest of the truck to help recoup some of your money by parting it out. Worst case scenario, you got bunches of usable parts - starter, turbo, injectors, etc.

If an idiot like me can do it over and over without getting burned, someone who knows what to look for can.

Quick Reply: Replacement motor suggestions