Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Keep Muffler or Not? - MBRP 4" SS Exhaust

Old 02-12-2019, 04:50 PM
dethpulse
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Keep Muffler or Not? - MBRP 4" SS Exhaust

Hey guys, I have an MBRP 4" SS exhaust on my 03 EX. It has the muffler that shipped with the MBRP and looks and sounds great (IMO). Is there any additional advantage to removing the MBRP muffler and replacing with a straight pipe, or should I just leave well enough alone?

Old 02-12-2019, 05:12 PM
BWST
Got Data?
Received 467 Likes on 322 Posts
If it looks and sounds great, I'd leave it. That system is proven to deliver great performance with the typical mods we do to these engines. Can you tell us what you've done to the truck at this point and where you want to go with it? Others can comment on whether there is a benefit to further exhaust modifications to support your goals.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:19 PM
beef tits
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You won't get any additional power from removing that, just more annoying droning noise in your cab. 99% of the power that system makes is from the new downpipe and removing the stock muffler which IS restrictive.

Old 02-12-2019, 05:25 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,427 Likes on 2,834 Posts
Keep it...

Done...

Old 02-12-2019, 05:55 PM
dethpulse
Senior User
HAAHA Thanks Sous, beef and BWST.

I currently have an S&B intake and Hydra tuner. All other engine stuff is stock but I am going to upgrade the turbo this spring - likely an SXE T4 setup (Sous has me chomping at the bit for this ). I do tow a 35' travel trailer, so really looking to keep power up to tow while keeping EGTs as low as possible. Here she is:

and here she is with the travel trailer:

Old 02-12-2019, 06:05 PM
Brandonpdx
Cargo Master
Received 278 Likes on 234 Posts
I bought that exhaust for my Mom's early 99 and it was a straight-through turbo muffler. Those don't restrict the exhaust very much.

Old 02-12-2019, 06:36 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Definitely keep the muffler if you are going T4/SXE. The SXE turbo will take any concerns you have about EGT's and throw them in the trash.

Old 02-12-2019, 06:43 PM
BWST
Got Data?
Received 467 Likes on 322 Posts
Boy, that's a nice X and trailer. Do you have gauges? With that hydra tuner, it would be good to keep an eye on EGT. I gotta research that turbo you mentioned. I had an ATS ported compressor housing on the stock garrett, and that took care of the surging I was experiencing with tunes. Got plenty of boost with it and the stock wheel. Had the S&B intake as well - that's a good choice.

How much does that trailer weight loaded for a trip? She's a beauty. I like the spread on the axles - helps reduce sway I would think.

Old 02-12-2019, 06:55 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by BWST
I gotta research that turbo you mentioned.
@BWST
Research done!

Install video: https://youtu.be/Ll7L5mBLZKc?list=PL5blclzP3mjORWsk6dLJZEE-Kv1XAzSir

Thread: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1538684-t4-sxe-vs-kc38r-decision-has-been-made.html

Old 02-12-2019, 07:08 PM
beef tits
Laughing Gas
T4's sound great and I kind of wish I had went that route... BUT if you have an auto (which I assume you do in an EX) ... I wouldn't discount the GTP38R, it's half the price and seems like half the install hassle.

The worst part of the GTP38R on a manual is having to downshift all the time to get up over 2k RPMs where it makes power. I'm not 100% clear on where the T4s are hitting full boost, but it sounds sooner than that.

For top end power (more useful in an auto) I'm not sure the T4 beats the 38R.

I'm still waiting on dyno reseults and real world MPG numbers from folks running the T4 setup ... SOUS

Old 02-12-2019, 07:24 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
There are a few automatic trucks running the SXE with great results. @akcooper9 @Dan V @SRBF150 @Markus Luukko are the ones right off the top of my head.

There is no comparison between the SXE and 38R. The price clearly is more, but the extra cost removes any EGT concerns and provides a solid performing turbo, even on OEM/AD injectors.

The SXE is less of a hassle than installing the OEM parts like up-pipes, turbo, IC pipes, etc.

Our cross country vacation may have just been squashed due to the family emergency we traveled to help out with. But, we do plan to have the 5th wheel out a lot this summer.

My truck will never see the platform of a dyno as long as I own it.

The initial testing I have done have yielded great results.

Dethpulse, I apologize for steering your thread off course.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:33 PM
dethpulse
Senior User
No worries at all Sous - this is all great information!

Old 02-12-2019, 07:41 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
In addition, I read a 7.3 dyno event that was by invitation only. One of the 10 trucks that showed up did NOT have an SXE turbo. All of the others did and one of them set a new record for HP/TQ with the SXE.

The 38R was great for it's time, but so were 27" tube TV's at one time. The 38R is old tech, despite being tried and true.

To each their own though.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:57 PM
beef tits
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Sous
In addition, I read a 7.3 dyno event that was by invitation only. One of the 10 trucks that showed up did NOT have an SXE turbo. All of the others did and one of them set a new record for HP/TQ with the SXE.

The 38R was great for it's time, but so were 27" tube TV's at one time. The 38R is old tech, despite being tried and true.

To each their own though.
Got a link to that dyno info?

Not dissing the T4 setup, it all sounds peachy. I just cant find any good info to compare it directly to the 38R. And the 38R is still a good choice (>$) and a nice upgrade over a stock turbo. Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE quicker spool at lower RPMs, I'd just like to see some evidence to back up all the claims and hype before justifying the (<$) cost.

Here is a prime example of a useless article, not exactly apples to apples as it's a 6.0 motor.. BUT
https://www.dieselworldmag.com/diese...e-it-reliable/

Recap:
"we removed a stock turbo and replaced with an T4 WE ARE SO ****ING COOL" YAY
"here is a bunch of rhetoric why it's better" DERP
"we had lower EGTs" YAY
"and we're offering no factual info on powerband changes, torque output, horsepower etc, even though it was on a dyno" WTF?!

Old 02-12-2019, 08:07 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by beef ****
Got a link to that dyno info?
It was in a magazine that my wife bought me a few issues ago. I still have it, but it is 2600 miles from me at the moment.

I will send you the magazine date and issue number when I get back home if you like.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Keep Muffler or Not? - MBRP 4" SS Exhaust