Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Running rough

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 10:19 PM
Luis Fonzo Medina
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Running rough

Hello I’m new here hoping to get some help. I’m gonna try keep it short. 01’ 7.3 281,000 on it. Recently had a buzz test 3 week and barely heard decided to replace all 8 because truck loss power and ran rough! Replaced these items as well in last year fuel pump, Gpr, all glow plugs, both valve cover gaskets and injector harness, idm, icp, map, new batteries and cam sensor. After injector install truck ran good for about 18 miles. Went over speed bump and boom fell flat on its face back to rough running. Feels like it is running on four cylinders. Ohmmed wire harnes from idm good. Truck lopes like bad cps. Saw a video from diesel Ron and said something about using a infrared thermometer on exhaust passenger side 90 degrees drivers side gets up to 170. Pulled codes p1316, p0381 & p1690! Any help appreciated!! Thank You

Old 02-11-2019, 10:32 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
Does sound like the passenger side valve cover connector or the uvch came loose. Did you put any clips in when you installed the new harnesses or did you do the 50 cent mod.

Have you ever checked the wire bundle to the 42 pin connector for wear at the point it crosses the driver side valve cover. Can rub there and short out wires.

Check the tin nut on the back of the IPR for security.

Do you have a scanner that can monitor values?

How full is the fuel tank and have you ever done the in tank mods.

Welcome aboard.

Old 02-11-2019, 10:49 PM
Luis Fonzo Medina
New User
Originally Posted by AllaboutMPG
Does sound like the passenger side valve cover connector or the uvch came loose. Did you put any clips in when you installed the new harnesses or did you do the 50 cent mod.

Have you ever checked the wire bundle to the 42 pin connector for wear at the point it crosses the driver side valve cover. Can rub there and short out wires.

Check the tin nut on the back of the IPR for security.

Do you have a scanner that can monitor values?

How full is the fuel tank and have you ever done the in tank mods.

Welcome aboard.
I suspected the harness yesterday and and did the quarter trick did to both sides just Incase. I did test the harnes from the idm injector to ohm the injectors 3 had 2.3 1 had 1.5. I then change the gasket that has the wires and connection built in to gasket inaccessible, replaced the connector in the harness from the idm, went and ohm test again had 2 ohms on all 4, open it is right checked that as well. Gas is just above 1/4 and unfortunately I don’t have a scanner that can read good values. I have a tuner from my mustang to pull codes and has a monitor and diesel file for it not much info on it in values. I could hear the injectors on the drivers but not passengers so thinking idm could be the I also took out the Idm out took to advance auto (I know the parts aren’t Oem but it’s late and cheap) where I first bought it exchange it cause it’s has warranty till August!

Last edited by Luis Fonzo Medina; 02-11-2019 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention
Old 02-11-2019, 11:22 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
If you're at 1/4 tank and have never done the in tank mods your pickup foot could have fallen off. You could be sucking air. Add some fuel and see what happens.

also check the 42 pin harness

Old 02-11-2019, 11:34 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
Agreed with all the advice above.

For the 42 pin harness specifically look at the under side of the harness where it can touch the valve cover. It can rub thru and short, looks like this.

Old 02-12-2019, 07:12 AM
Luis Fonzo Medina
New User
The pick up screen makes sense because it all started after I went over a bump and hasn’t change since then gonna check it out tonight as well as the 42 pin connector. Let me ask you guys maybe you know. What are the chance the fuel supply line to the passenger head has a blockage in it? Ever hear of that?

Old 02-12-2019, 04:44 PM
PrescottIce
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I doubt that a missing pickup would cause only one bank to go dead. Did a buzz test after your "replace all 8" show an improvement? What UVCH and gaskets did you replace with? The aftermarket units are known to have issues...

A decent OBDII adapter is $30, Forscan is free for a laptop. It's a no-brainer investment for 7.3 owners. I have the hardest time understanding why people invest in these old, ornery, expensive to repair trucks and yet avoid buying the most valuable tool in the toolbox for the cost of a 3-piece set of Channel-Lok pliers.

Not saying that will tell you EXACTLY what the issue is, but it can give you way more clues than guessing at all the things it could be and could eliminate some things that it isn't.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:51 PM
Luis Fonzo Medina
New User
I checked the the 42 pin connector wires are good fuel pick is good. Truck still runs like crap. I have been checking other threads and it appears. I’m gonna purchase the adaptor tomorrow for foscan tomorrow and see what else I can pull up. I was reading other threads and came across one speaking of air in fuel lines and it takes approximately 50 miles to clear up after install of new injectors. Thinking this could possibly be my issue. Would either of you know about this or possibly have experienced it? I did replaced all 8!

Old 02-13-2019, 10:15 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Luis Fonzo Medina
I checked the the 42 pin connector wires are good fuel pick is good. Truck still runs like crap. I have been checking other threads and it appears. I’m gonna purchase the adaptor tomorrow for foscan tomorrow and see what else I can pull up. I was reading other threads and came across one speaking of air in fuel lines and it takes approximately 50 miles to clear up after install of new injectors. Thinking this could possibly be my issue. Would either of you know about this or possibly have experienced it? I did replaced all 8!
But you said it ran good for 18 miles after injector change. Usually if you have air in the lines it won't run well until you get it all out.

Are you still seeing the low temp on the passenger side manifold compared to the driver side. If so you need to address that.

It sounds very much electrical like something came loose when you hit the bump.

Old 02-15-2019, 07:29 AM
Luis Fonzo Medina
New User
Ok so I have physically checked all possible issues that could be wrong on the truck with a proper scan tool. Wiring appears to be intact no shorts or broken connections. I am not getting a code for the icp truck start but after a second will run rough. However I decided to unplug the icp and start the vehicle starts the same and no change in operation plugged it back in and no change to the motor. So suspecting this May be the problem, changed it about a year ago. With it unplug I get a code for the sensor could it be not be functioning properly and causing injector to not get the proper pressure. Waiting for FORScan adapter to come in to check values!

Old 02-15-2019, 07:52 AM
chasteen1156
Junior User
I agree with AllaboutMPG. If you are seeing low temps on the passenger side the problem is in that area. If you put the aftermarket UVCH on it I would replace it with OEM. They are more expensive but MUCH more reliable. I had the same issue you are having after replacing mine with aftermarket parts. I replaced with OEM UVCH and no problem since. It has been two years. If it were the ICP you would be having problems on both sides.

Old 02-15-2019, 09:07 AM
PrescottIce
Elder User
P0381 Glow Plug Indicator Circuit Malfunction
P1316 Injector Circuit/IDM Codes Detected
P1690 Wastegate Control Valve Malfunction

The first two could be the UVCH, or the gasket connectors, or anywhere in the harness - provided the IDM codes are caused by communication failure, not a fault within the IDM itself.

I'm only playing Internet guesser here, but the last one is likely unrelated... could be a wire, the solenoid, or a physical obstruction.

Old 02-20-2019, 11:51 AM
Luis Fonzo Medina
New User
Update: still not running right. Received the adapter scanned system and performed Koer test and cylinder contribution test. P0263 cylinder 1 contribution/balance

P0269 cylinder 3 contribution

P0275 Cylinder 5 contribution/balance

P0278 cylinder 7 contribution/balance fault

P0279 #7 circuit low

Number 7 p1277 high to low side fault

injectors are all refurbished and UVCH are new as well. Idm is new. Fuel filter new icp new glow plugs 6 month or less old. Pinned out harness and found all 8 injector ohm far lower than specs of 2.8-3.5. Drivers side 2.0 and 1.4 on passenger.
Im stumped! I read in a post one guy had a similar issue with passenger side head being shutdown turned out to be his turbo wasn’t holding pressure when on that. Any input valuable! Thank for all your input!

Old 02-20-2019, 12:41 PM
PrescottIce
Elder User
Doubtful that all the injectors on one bank are bad. And unless your intake boot is removed entirely, I don't think it would have that dramatic an effect at idle - but I've never tried this, so I don't really know.

It has been asked before and I didn't see it if you replied - the UVCH you used, is it Motorcraft, or aftermarket? Your response in post #3 seems to indicate aftermarket, and they are KNOWN to experience EXACTLY this issue.

I also haven't seen if you did a buzz test AFTER replacing all the injectors, harnesses, valve cover gaskets, and the IDM.

I would be looking closely at the UVCH and the connectors that pass through the valve cover gasket, particularly the ground terminals. Look at the plug (engine harness) side closely as well. Any sign of arcing, even faint, is a clue. I might try wiggling that connection around while idling, see if it makes any difference. If I had more time than money, I'd swap the harness/gasket side to side and see what it does. If I already had my tax refund smiling at me I'd just replace it with OEM and eliminate it as a potential issue.

Old 02-20-2019, 01:10 PM
Luis Fonzo Medina
New User
Originally Posted by PrescottIce
Doubtful that all the injectors on one bank are bad. And unless your intake boot is removed entirely, I don't think it would have that dramatic an effect at idle - but I've never tried this, so I don't really know.

It has been asked before and I didn't see it if you replied - the UVCH you used, is it Motorcraft, or aftermarket? Your response in post #3 seems to indicate aftermarket, and they are KNOWN to experience EXACTLY this issue.

I also haven't seen if you did a buzz test AFTER replacing all the injectors, harnesses, valve cover gaskets, and the IDM.

I would be looking closely at the UVCH and the connectors that pass through the valve cover gasket, particularly the ground terminals. Look at the plug (engine harness) side closely as well. Any sign of arcing, even faint, is a clue. I might try wiggling that connection around while idling, see if it makes any difference. If I had more time than money, I'd swap the harness/gasket side to side and see what it does. If I already had my tax refund smiling at me I'd just replace it with OEM and eliminate it as a potential issue.
They are aftermarket waiting for oem ones to come in. I had two sets of aftermarket gaskets same problem didn’t think it was the issue but I order them anyway. Time is definitely a issue but money is slowly taking point! I called the dealer where I bought the injectors waiting for a call back as well seeing they are all new (Refurbished).

Quick Reply: Running rough