7.3L / 6.8L V8 Gasoline Engines Discuss the new 7.3 and 6.8L Gasoline V8s

7.3L kill resale value of 6.2L

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2019, 12:00 PM
boxrbus
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7.3L kill resale value of 6.2L

With Ford officially unveiling the new 7.3L gas engine today, how will this affect the resale value of existing 6.2L gas engines. I know it will hurt new 6.7L diesel sales, but this could be more devastating to the smaller, less powerful gas engine in the used truck sales market.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:05 PM
Blwnsmoke
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by boxrbus
With Ford officially unveiling the new 7.3L gas engine today, how will this affect the resale value of existing 6.2L gas engines. I know it will hurt new 6.7L diesel sales, but this could be more devastating to the smaller, less powerful gas engine in the used truck sales market.
Why would it hurt 6.7 sales? 6.7 will tow more, be more powerful in both HP and TQ.. I do not see it hurting sales.. lost who buy the 6.7 buy it because it is a diesel and that's what they want. Majority of people in a 6.7 could have a 6.2 but just choose not to.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:10 PM
RandyinTN
Laughing Gas
Received 314 Likes on 151 Posts
It’s an option. The 6.2 will still be here and dealers will order them to keep the costs low on the lot inventory.
Autos and trucks get upgraded just about every year. Doesn’t automatically mean the old model is worthless.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:13 PM
Ben Elliott
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Blwnsmoke
Why would it hurt 6.7 sales? 6.7 will tow more, be more powerful in both HP and TQ.. I do not see it hurtimg sales.. kost who buy the 6.7 buy it because it is a diesel and that's what they want. Majority of people in a 6.7 could have a 6.2 but just choose not to.

on a personal all level it probably wont but since DEF has come into play- Govt- large commercial fleets have been starting to switch over to gas engines because of cost of diesel/def/maintenance. It will be interesting to see the price point of the 7.3- maybe half the cost of a diesel upgrade around $5k maybe-especially if the numbers of the new engine look promising.

Our conpany decided 4 years ago to buy the dodge 4500 with the 6.4 ‘s and have been incredibly cheap to maintain.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:17 PM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Received 939 Likes on 578 Posts
From the video that I watched, the Ford engineer stated that for numbers it should come down squarely between the 6.2 and the 6.7 but would not yet give specific specs. He said the physical layout of the engine itself allows it to be spread across more platforms from F250 up into the 550 or so medium duty trucks.
I'm guessing that we'll have to wait and see if the price point is worth the extra bang before folks determine if they should move on from the 6.2. If they price it less than the $9k or so diesel option they'll get some converts I'm sure.
On paper it sounds like it'll be a good combo mated to the new 10 speed. As with all things, time will tell.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:19 PM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
I think we are more likely to see no more further improvements on the 6.2L to prevent it from undermining the 7.3L.

The 7.3L will undoubtably hit the 6.7L sales. I think many buyers know they don’t need a Diesel, and the distance between the 6.7L and the 6.2L was just cut in half. True haulers will never recognize the Gasser, but weekend warriors and big truck wanna be’s that realize the $10k hit and expense aren’t worth it, will sail off into the sunset in a 7.3L that will soon have a boatload of aftermarket exhausts and tuners that close the gap even more.

I think this is a precursor to something else ford has up them sleeve. It’s not that an Ecoboost for the Super Duty is necessarily in the wings, but a few short years ago, people griped about a V-6 in a truck. Now it’s selling like hot cakes and most are pinning it against the 3.0L baby Stroke as the leader. I could easily see the 7.3L as a stepping stone to use of a high mileage and higher mpg offering on the design table in the bowels of Headquarters in Detroit.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:50 PM
RandyinTN
Laughing Gas
Received 314 Likes on 151 Posts
So much depends on:
Option cost of the 7.3
How much more HP and torque.

In a heavy truck you would be hard pressed to notice 40-50 hp and torque by the old butt dyno. More, and you can tell. But what does more cost? Maybe Ford is holding the option hostage to Limited or Platinum levels?
Time will tell.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:53 PM
acadianbob
Cargo Master
Received 528 Likes on 298 Posts
I don't see the 7.3 as the motor for "the masses". The 6.2 will suffice for many people. The 7.3 is a serious truck engine. Many people will not need it.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:57 PM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Yes the 7.3 is a more advanced engine design that will eclipse the 6.2. The new 7.3 HD was designed with a specific output range with the new 10 speed. The 6.2 design was running 4 speed transmissions and needed a different RPM band TQ curve. Lot more to it but you get the idea. Stick a fork in the 6.2 it is done --- hell I would never even consider it but the new 7.3 may just be my next truck motor. May just forget the new GMC HD with the relocated DEF tank!

I am looking forward to the big engine and 10 speed. Will hopefully have all of the same "hd cooling features" of the diesel since it is the real engine for the HD series trucks whereas the 6.2 will be for the light duty kind of like when there was a F250 and a F250 HD truck lol.

The existing 6.2 "light duty" people are going to be disappointed but hey improvements must go on.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:04 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by acadianbob
I don't see the 7.3 as the motor for "the masses". The 6.2 will suffice for many people. The 7.3 is a serious truck engine. Many people will not need it.
If I quit towing for a living there's a whole list of things I'll no longer need:
1. diesel
2. long bed
3. fifth wheel hitch
4. dually
5. 7.3L
I'm really thinking that for pulling my 27 foot travel trailer the 6.2L coupled to a 4.30 rear end is more than sufficient.
In fact, I'm starting to seriously consider being one of those guys jumping on a new 2019.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:05 PM
BowtieConvert
Lead Driver
Received 2,543 Likes on 832 Posts
Originally Posted by Busa 1 Dave
Yes the 7.3 is a more advanced engine design that will eclipse the 6.2. The new 7.3 HD was designed with a specific output range with the new 10 speed. The 6.2 design was running 4 speed transmissions and needed a different RPM band TQ curve. Lot more to it but you get the idea. Stick a fork in the 6.2 it is done --- hell I would never even consider it but the new 7.3 may just be my next truck motor. May just forget the new GMC HD with the relocated DEF tank!

I am looking forward to the big engine and 10 speed. Will hopefully have all of the same "hd cooling features" of the diesel since it is the real engine for the HD series trucks whereas the 6.2 will be for the light duty kind of like when there was a F250 and a F250 HD truck lol.

The existing 6.2 "light duty" people are going to be disappointed but hey improvements must go on.
Not only did you just poke the hornet's nest, you took a whiz on it and then drop-kicked it! Be prepared for the wrath.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:07 PM
ncl
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If the 7.3 costs 5k as an option they wont sell well. The v10 was around a 600 option. I bet in today's dollars the 7.3 will be 1k-2k. They would have to sell it in all trim levels for fleet sales.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:16 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Busa 1 Dave

I'm looking to move into the "light duty" classification. F150 is too light duty - BTDT. But an F250 with 6.2 and short rear gear can be a wonderful thing.
As long as there are guys trying to tow fifth wheels with F150's, I think there'll be a market for 6.2L equipped trucks.

The following users liked this post:
Old 02-05-2019, 01:39 PM
crewzer
Logistics Pro
Received 267 Likes on 207 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by ncl
If the 7.3 costs 5k as an option they wont sell well. The v10 was around a 600 option. I bet in today's dollars the 7.3 will be 1k-2k. They would have to sell it in all trim levels for fleet sales.
The V10 option was an even better bargain than it appeared, at least back in 2000. The upgrade included a larger radiator, a tighter torque converter in the 4R100, and IIRC, and three spider gears (instead of two with the 5.4) in the rear differential.

Regards,
Jim/ crewzer

Old 02-05-2019, 02:06 PM
FastTaurusSHO
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by acadianbob
Agreed. For fleets that are running a F550 or F650 and are loaded with 8K+ of payload constantly, I think the 7.3 makes a lot of sense for municipalities that don't need the expense or efficiency of the diesel, and it really sounds like that is the target audience based on the lead engineer comments.

The 6.2 for daily driving and tows 11K lbs. 8 or 10 times a year might be the more sensible engine, especially when in an F250 with the G tranny.

Of course, there will be those that must have mo powa, and so will buy the 7.3
For me it would depend on cost and efficiency compared to the 6.2 V8, honestly I really don't feel like I need more power, but there are many who tow much heavier than my 8K Travel Trailer.

Quick Reply: 7.3L kill resale value of 6.2L