Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

F150 shopping - comments & feedback welcome

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 06:44 PM
markag
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
F150 shopping - comments & feedback welcome

I'm about 1-2 months away from buying a truck. I've been researching F150s for the last year or so, and I've narrowed down what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a truck that I can use as a truck, but also be my daily driver to work. My family has been tent camping for the last couple years, and we've talked about getting a travel trailer in the future, so I want to load up on the tow capability. My thought process is that I want enough creature comforts that I won't feel like I'm in a work truck, but I want to try to keep the cost down and put it towards the drivetrain and capabilities.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

My ideal truck config:
F150 XL Supercrew 4x4 with 6.5' bed
STX package
3.5L Ecoboost
Max Tow Package (with 3.55 locking axle, brake controller, 36 gallon tank, oil & trans cooler, and other included items)
Tow mirrors
40/console/40 front seats

Nice to have items:
I'm flexible on color
Running boards
110V AC outlet

I'm currently debating between 5.0 and 3.5, but with the max tow package, you get more for your money with the 3.5 & max tow. I'm also trying to determine if I would be willing to go with a short bed. It would save me a little money, but I feel like I would regret it.

I'm thinking that I should be able to get this truck for $36K or so. I'm assuming that $10K-12K should be a good target price range. Maybe I'm off, but that seems reasonable (especially since I qualify for Ford X plan).

Old 02-04-2019, 06:57 PM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like you’ve got a good handle on the options. I think either motor will be fine, especially since you don’t know what trailer you might be buying. But the EB is awesome for towing. Definitely get the tow mirrors and larger fuel tank as you mentioned.

As for bed length, I found the 5.5’ bed the best around town which is why I went with that length. But it does fill up easily and is too short for bikes since I have truck box in the back. Test drive both and determine which will work best.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:12 PM
Tow Matr
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you tried the build and price site? I ordered my truck and got exactly what I wanted in May 2016. It was $46k out the door. XLT Sport SE 3.5eco, Screw, 6.5 bed, 302a, Rwd, Max tow, navigation, tow mirrors. I don't regret anything about my truck. Very comfortable, tows great and with 53k miles and no problems whatsoever I'm a happy camper. In fact we did 11,450 miles from August 6 thru November 12 towing a 6500 lb. camper. Glad to have 6.5 bed, usually have it full when camping. Don't really use it as a work truck but, I go everywhere in it. Around town actual mileage about 18 to 20 mpg. Actual mileage for our long trip was 12.3 mpg with mountains and all. If I drive decent, I can get 22/23 mpg when not towing on the highway. Max tow is the best way to go, trucks on the lots usually don't have max tow. The dealers order separate parts of the towing packages for some reason. Good luck.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:27 PM
markag
Mountain Pass
For those that order special, is there any reason to think that I should pay more to have a dealer order rather than find one on the lot.

The build and price for config is $46.5-47.5 depending on which of the extras I add.

Funny thing is, there is one that matches almost 100% on a lot 10 miles away from me. Only thing it doesn't have is the 110V outlet. That dealer internet quoted me $41.5K, which still seems quite high.
when I asked about my X plan discount, they told me their price was lower... I could be wrong, but I thought my discount should take off more, no matter what they are currently asking for.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:57 PM
IndyDog
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I sort of have what you describe, 2019 STX SCrew with the 5.0, 6.5, 40/console/40, running boards, tailgate step, FX4, 20's.

I'm coming from a lifetime of 350's and 250's, this is my first 150. I have work trucks/van so I'm going to garage queen this one with a mild lift and bigger rims/tires. I find the ride mind-boggling comfortable, the drive-ability of this truck is outstanding, I'd MUCH rather drive this than my wife's BMW. The 6.5 was the only bed for me, I just find the 5.5 looks a bit squashy for me but the turning radius on this blows.

The 5.0 is also outstanding, very smooth and powerful and takes regular gas (a consideration). Has a nice subdued rumble too. I got 20 mpg on my 700 mile trip home from the dealer. They couldn't find one with my configuration on a lot so we ordered it, definitely could have gotten a much better deal on a '18 if there was one on the lot or nearby, not much incentive to deal on an '19 order. The upside is it's a '19 which will help on resale someday.

The Ford running boards are really nice but I question the engineer that designed them, they sit tight to the door sill which kind of defeats the purpose of them, they need to be dropped 2-3 inches for them to be effective, I'd go aftermarket if I were you. I'm going to see if my buddy's friend that is a machinist can make me some drop brackets.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:00 PM
Tow Matr
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I ordered mine I ended up with a lot more for about same amount of money than one the dealer found for me. The other was 2.7 without max tow and not Sport SE. As far as the 6.5 bed, and it is a long truck (157wb) I don't have any problem driving around town, but I do back in when parking. The msrp for mine was around $50k. If you buy off the lot and don't get exactly what you want, you might not be happy down the road. Although there are a lot of people that buy off the lot and are happy with their purchase. The one I almost bought would have towed the trailer I have now, but would have been at its limit with the camper I have now. But, now I can go larger if I decide to. We all have price limits, but sometimes spending a little extra will make you happier in the long run. I started out wanting to spend what you have in mind to spend, in fact the very first one I looked at was XL, very basic, but wife wanted something with more options (thanks wife) so I got what I wanted. I am sure whatever you get will be good.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:01 PM
Midnightmoon
Tuned
You basically described my truck other than mine is a 302A XLT and not an XL. 3.5L Max Tow, 157" wheelbase etc. Tows like an absolute animal and has 1857# payload capacity as per the door sticker.

If the one near you is close to what you want, jump on it. The 110v outlet is not a deal breaker. Yes, I use it, but it isn't anything that a cheap inverter from Amazon wouldn't replace.

Believe it or not, the only thing I wouldn't get again is the running boards. I am constantly hitting my shins off the darn things.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:23 PM
JKBrad
Received 801 Likes on 586 Posts
Originally Posted by IndyDog
I sort of have what you describe, 2019 STX SCrew with the 5.0, 6.5, 40/console/40, running boards, tailgate step, FX4, 20's.

I'm coming from a lifetime of 350's and 250's, this is my first 150. I have work trucks/van so I'm going to garage queen this one with a mild lift and bigger rims/tires. I find the ride mind-boggling comfortable, the drive-ability of this truck is outstanding, I'd MUCH rather drive this than my wife's BMW. The 6.5 was the only bed for me, I just find the 5.5 looks a bit squashy for me but the turning radius on this blows.

The 5.0 is also outstanding, very smooth and powerful and takes regular gas (a consideration). Has a nice subdued rumble too. I got 20 mpg on my 700 mile trip home from the dealer. They couldn't find one with my configuration on a lot so we ordered it, definitely could have gotten a much better deal on a '18 if there was one on the lot or nearby, not much incentive to deal on an '19 order. The upside is it's a '19 which will help on resale someday.

The Ford running boards are really nice but I question the engineer that designed them, they sit tight to the door sill which kind of defeats the purpose of them, they need to be dropped 2-3 inches for them to be effective, I'd go aftermarket if I were you. I'm going to see if my buddy's friend that is a machinist can make me some drop brackets.
Just get some Super Duty brackets. Those boards hang lower since the SD sits higher. As a matter of fact, a lot of guys on the SD forum don't like how low their boards hang so they put F150 brackets on to raise them.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:35 PM
markag
Mountain Pass

This is the one I found locally. 110V is really not a deal breaker. It would be convenient, especially for camping, but easily can be addressed with an Amazon order.

The biggest thing is I need to wait until the middle of next month to get my bonus from work to have a down payment. It gives me some time to go on a few test drives before I would bite on anything.

Old 02-04-2019, 08:38 PM
Midnightmoon
Tuned
Originally Posted by markag

This is the one I found locally. 110V is really not a deal breaker. It would be convenient, especially for camping, but easily can be addressed with an Amazon order.

The biggest thing is I need to wait until the middle of next month to get my bonus from work to have a down payment. It gives me some time to go on a few test drives before I would bite on anything.

I love that color. I so wish I would have gone with that blue instead of the white.

Nice truck.

Old 02-04-2019, 09:36 PM
onug
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, go for it. It’s hard to find trucks with the tow mirrors. I really thought I wanted the 110v outlet too but have never used it. I think it’s only about 3amps anyway. Get yourself a battery bank like a Goal Zero that’s portable.

Love the color...love that the only chrome is in the wheels. Be patience and let the deal come to you.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:07 AM
JKBrad
Received 801 Likes on 586 Posts
Man, that truck is a unicorn. STX, 4x4, 6.5’ bed. You’d be hard pressed find another like it in stock.

Old 02-05-2019, 05:29 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,219 Likes on 802 Posts
That STX grill is my favorite of all of Ford's front ends, you should take the leap now. Use your bonus money to refi and pay it down then.

Ask for the invoice before you make the statement that you want to go with your X plan. All of the plan prices will be clearly listed on the invoice. Compare those to what the dealer is asking, you could leave money on the table.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:15 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 236 Likes on 184 Posts
Originally Posted by markag
I'm about 1-2 months away from buying a truck. I've been researching F150s for the last year or so, and I've narrowed down what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a truck that I can use as a truck, but also be my daily driver to work. My family has been tent camping for the last couple years, and we've talked about getting a travel trailer in the future, so I want to load up on the tow capability. My thought process is that I want enough creature comforts that I won't feel like I'm in a work truck, but I want to try to keep the cost down and put it towards the drivetrain and capabilities.

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

My ideal truck config:
F150 XL Supercrew 4x4 with 6.5' bed
STX package
3.5L Ecoboost
Max Tow Package (with 3.55 locking axle, brake controller, 36 gallon tank, oil & trans cooler, and other included items)
Tow mirrors
40/console/40 front seats

Nice to have items:
I'm flexible on color
Running boards
110V AC outlet

I'm currently debating between 5.0 and 3.5, but with the max tow package, you get more for your money with the 3.5 & max tow. I'm also trying to determine if I would be willing to go with a short bed. It would save me a little money, but I feel like I would regret it.

I'm thinking that I should be able to get this truck for $36K or so. I'm assuming that $10K-12K should be a good target price range. Maybe I'm off, but that seems reasonable (especially since I qualify for Ford X plan).
If you`re not dead set on a 2019, take a look at the remaining 2018`s that are still on dealers lots.

There`s a good chance that you`ll be able to get more truck and maybe a higher trim level at a better price than a 2019 F150 with the same specs.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:37 AM
Kingofwylietx
Fleet Mechanic
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by GABAR
If you`re not dead set on a 2019, take a look at the remaining 2018`s that are still on dealers lots.

There`s a good chance that you`ll be able to get more truck and maybe a higher trim level at a better price than a 2019 F150 with the same specs.
Good point, the OP might want to consider this route.

The truck is certainly a unicorn. OP, until you are ready sit down and make a deal, it's hard to know exactly what you will find on dealers lots. One month, there are nearly zero Supercrew 6.5' bed trucks around here...then the next month there are 15. Unless you plan to order, then it will be hard to know what will be available when you are ready.

But, as Gabar mentioned...you might look at leftover trucks. Dealerships can make some pretty good deals when they think they can unload a unicorn they have sitting on the back lot. Just don't let them know you REALLY want it....because then they will know they have something you can't easily find elsewhere.

Quick Reply: F150 shopping - comments & feedback welcome