2019 - 2023 Ranger Everything about the new 2019-2023 Ford Ranger.

Initial demand looks good....

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 04:13 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Initial demand looks good....

Wayne plant is going into overtime to meet demand for the Ranger! Of course a sales surge of a new and highly anticipated vehicle may be temporary, this looks good so far. And as a Detroiter, I am glad to see the Wayne plant put some money in the pockets of my neighbors!

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/01/31/ford-ranger-demand-high-more-production-coming/?ncid=edlinkusauto00000016&fbclid=IwAR2JgpFaccrXuG iy7bf_povHLBcG81MH5bleXpB8UxuS7g6EOJAXpDYUOVk

Old 02-05-2019, 12:45 AM
Cornbred
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think this is BS, the three dealerships around me still have every ranger they received initially a month later. Salesman I know told me they watch for people’s reaction when walking over and looking at the window sticker. He also stated that every customer he’s dealt with is shocked by the price of the ranger. If you notice the verbiage in the article it states “Ford says about 300,000 people have already “(indicated)” plans to purchase the Ranger.” The word “indicate” does not mean “sold.” I think the ranger will be a huge failure because of the price point.

Old 02-05-2019, 05:34 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by Cornbred
I think this is BS, the three dealerships around me still have every ranger they received initially a month later. Salesman I know told me they watch for people’s reaction when walking over and looking at the window sticker. He also stated that every customer he’s dealt with is shocked by the price of the ranger. If you notice the verbiage in the article it states “Ford says about 300,000 people have already “(indicated)” plans to purchase the Ranger.” The word “indicate” does not mean “sold.” I think the ranger will be a huge failure because of the price point.

I couldn't agree with you more though I hope I'm wrong in the way that I feel. If I were a Ford salesperson, given the outdated design and bloated price point, I'd feel like Ford issued me a set of hobbles and ordered me to go forth and sell.

Old 02-05-2019, 08:30 AM
bbf385
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't think the price will matter, Every other vehicle on the lot is about the same price. That's what a new auto costs. 40-50K is going rate for most anything that isn't a compact. The shareholders need their money.

Old 02-05-2019, 02:44 PM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by bbf385
The shareholders need their money.
Yes. Yes we do.

I used my dividends to buy a used 2017 Titan XD 4x4 Cummins (for about the same price as a base, extended cab 4x2 Ranger XL).

So thank you Ford lovers. Keep buying these overpriced trucks. Mama wants a new Beetle.

Old 02-06-2019, 07:39 AM
bbf385
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
You got a 2 year old truck and it was less expensive than a new one? Good work!!

Old 02-06-2019, 10:27 AM
reddog99
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jschira
Yes. Yes we do.

I used my dividends to buy a used 2017 Titan XD 4x4 Cummins (for about the same price as a base, extended cab 4x2 Ranger XL).

So thank you Ford lovers. Keep buying these overpriced trucks. Mama wants a new Beetle.
You'd better hurry up for a new Beetle. It's supposed to cease production in July 2019.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:33 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by reddog99
You'd better hurry up for a new Beetle. It's supposed to cease production in July 2019.
Yes. But VW only makes it in a very few trims and colors. So no hurry. One she likes will be available for a few months more.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:39 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by bbf385
You got a 2 year old truck and it was less expensive than a new one? Good work!!
Yes. Used. So Nissan made no money from me.

And the used car dealer did not make much money either, judging by what I see as the going price at the dealer auctions.

For what I bought and for the money that I spent, new made no sense at all.

So as I said, keep buying these stupid expensive new trucks. Keep those dividend checks rolling in. I really like getting them.

Old 02-07-2019, 06:04 PM
2.7EcoBoost
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cornbred
I agree 100%. The dealer I bought my truck at is a high volume F-150 dealer and they have their 4 Rangers at MSRP and they have not moved one in 2 weeks. As for the truck itself, Ford took a dated platform and tried to sham people into the "all new" for the U.S. market b.s. I like the Ranger. It is a very sharp and capable truck when packaged correctly. I love the fact that it's slightly smaller than the Colorado and Tacoma, but slightly bigger than the Frontier. I like the stance of it and I think the 2.3/10 speed is a slight notch ahead of the class, but barely. I would not pay $39k for the XLT Sport w/302A package that I want. I would pay about $34K for it. I am an unmotivated buyer. My F-150 lease is up in September so maybe I'll be able to get a Ranger for the real price and not Ford's insane marked up price. If not, I'll buy a Frontier.

Old 02-08-2019, 06:09 AM
jschira
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 2.7EcoBoost
I agree 100%. The dealer I bought my truck at is a high volume F-150 dealer and they have their 4 Rangers at MSRP and they have not moved one in 2 weeks. . . I would not pay $39k for the XLT Sport w/302A package that I want. I would pay about $34K for it. I am an unmotivated buyer. My F-150 lease is up in September so maybe I'll be able to get a Ranger for the real price and not Ford's insane marked up price. If not, I'll buy a Frontier.
Around here, somewhere between $12k and $14k off MSRP of full sized 1/2 tons is pretty normal. So an F-150 XLT Screw w/301A package and either the 5.0L or 2.7L EB, with an MSRP of $45k-$48k, can be bought for $35k or less.

A local dealer even has a 2018 F250 XL crew cab 4x4 6.2l gas advertised for $38k.

Unless you want a truck that is physically smaller (and I know that many people do), the mid-sized trucks from GM, Ford and Honda are just not very good values.

Old 02-08-2019, 08:57 AM
WXboy
Cargo Master
Received 341 Likes on 207 Posts
Well...

Not only is the pricing very high, but it's also a very old truck that is being disguised as a new truck and I think that 25 years ago that would have worked but with the internet nowadays consumers are wiser.

Then you've got the news that the TRULY all new Ranger is going to hit in 2021, and share a platform with the new Bronco, and offer the 2.7L EcoBust V6, and have a Raptor variant....

And then to top it all off you've got terrible reviews coming out on the 2019 Ranger. MotorTrend has dropped at least two separate articles where they take shots at the Ranger for it's horrible ride quality and interior and lack of useful storage space under/around the rear seats.

So when you put it all together, I think that initial sales will be high because there are a lot of people who just need to have the latest and greatest thing....but after the dust settles and people start actually shopping these trucks they'll realize that the Ranger is one of the worst in the class. In fact, the only truck that MotorTrend ranks lower than the Ranger is the Tacoma, which hasn't been truly all new in the last 15 years.

Old 02-08-2019, 05:55 PM
92F350CC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
MotorTrend is the only negative review that i've read so far......

Old 02-08-2019, 06:02 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Motor Trend named the Chevy Vega, PT Cruiser, Chrysler Cirrus, Chevy Citation, and the Renault Alliance as Cars of the Year in the past....they have never much impressed me as a driver-oriented magazine. I suspect they give out awards and good reviews to companies that buy the most advertising....

Old 02-08-2019, 07:36 PM
Stampede.Offroad
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by YoGeorge
Wayne plant is going into overtime to meet demand for the Ranger! Of course a sales surge of a new and highly anticipated vehicle may be temporary, this looks good so far. And as a Detroiter, I am glad to see the Wayne plant put some money in the pockets of my neighbors!
Even the best estimates right now would suggest Ford is on track to sell fewer Rangers than Nissan is making Frontiers for 2019, putting them way behind Chevy and Toyota. Hardly a production level worth crowing about.

The Ranger has some strong qualities, but nothing to really wow people with. Being a nine year old design that is scheduled to be replaced in 2-3 years with something obviously better isn't going to help move them either.

Quick Reply: Initial demand looks good....