Sponsored by: DP Tuner

7.3 Glow Plug Relay Cycle Time Depends On Oil Temperature

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 09:09 AM
sunuvabug
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
7.3 Glow Plug Relay Cycle Time Depends On Oil Temperature

Hey all, I thought I'd create this post as too many times I read misinformation regarding how the glow plug relay (GPR) functions re: cycle time. For the record, the "Wait To Start" light does not monitor the actual GPR cycle time. The length of the GPR cycle time is determined by the oil temperature (in Fahrenheit) and is controlled by the PCM. The chart below shows how long the GPR activates the glow plugs depending on the temperature of the oil. In other words, the colder your oil is ... the longer the GPR will stay on up to approximately 120 seconds (2 full minutes).

Before I bought a cheap digital voltmeter to plug into my lighter socket to watch the current/volts drop when the GPR was cycling, I used to watch the dash voltmeter needle move when the GPR was activated and deactivated. And yes, in cold temps with a cold engine (we're currently experiencing -10*F ambient temps where I live), my truck takes up to the full 120 seconds for the GPR to complete one full cycle. In fact, in these really cold temps and after the truck has been sitting outside all night, I will cycle the glow plugs a full 2 or even 3 times before starting my truck. And yes, I plug in my block heater and I have a battery blanket on each of my two batteries. So far ... so good. Hopefully the accompanying chart will help other 1999-2003, 7.3 owners.

Old 01-31-2019, 09:58 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Yep, that puppy has one good timer built into it too, when I time it it hits right on 120 seconds.

Old 02-08-2019, 07:29 PM
mac27041
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glow plug relay

f350 7.3
I was going to replace the gpr on this truck the one you here click gets hot so it is shorted out , but there is another relay to the side of this one , what does it do

Old 02-08-2019, 07:48 PM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by mac27041
f350 7.3
I was going to replace the gpr on this truck the one you here click gets hot so it is shorted out , but there is another relay to the side of this one , what does it do
Intake air heater. It is the same as the relay that is used for the GPR.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:19 PM
burnthelight88
Laughing Gas
Pittsburgh can get pretty cold. I typically can get the full 2 minutes out of the plugs if we're at our coldest temps. Here's what I want to know though, are the battery blankets gimmicks or what? Plenty of people on here mentioning them, I just don't see how the non-powered ones could make a difference.

Old 02-08-2019, 09:49 PM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthelight88
Pittsburgh can get pretty cold. I typically can get the full 2 minutes out of the plugs if we're at our coldest temps. Here's what I want to know though, are the battery blankets gimmicks or what? Plenty of people on here mentioning them, I just don't see how the non-powered ones could make a difference.
The non-powered battery blankets that come stock are there to protect against underhood heat in the summer.
The powered battery blankets do help quit a bit. One thing that makes a huge difference is a 50 watt oil pan heater. https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Heaters/Kats-Heaters/KH24050.html
Even though it's only 50 watts, your truck will crank like a summer day.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:10 AM
sunuvabug
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by HD Rider
The non-powered battery blankets that come stock are there to protect against underhood heat in the summer.
The powered battery blankets do help quit a bit. One thing that makes a huge difference is a 50 watt oil pan heater. https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Hea...s/KH24050.html Even though it's only 50 watts, your truck will crank like a summer day.
HDRider, thanks for explaining what that torn up, ratty wrap around my old battery was. I didn't see a power cord when I stripped it out (actually it disintegrated on me) and was wondering ... what purpose did it serve. The two Temro 80w battery blankets I installed this past November seem to be doing a good job. Now that my block heater is working as it should, my truck, which is parked outside all of the time, starts up in 12*F temps like its summer and 80*F.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:12 PM
LittleLucy
Freshman User
Dumb question......possibly:)

Would a light bulb , under the hood, help with the frigid temps. Trying to work with what I have lol

Old 02-09-2019, 09:51 PM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Any heat source will help.
I used to start engines in sub zero temps by heating the air intakes with a small torch or even a hair dryer.

Last edited by HD Rider; 02-09-2019 at 09:54 PM. Reason: Add
Old 02-10-2019, 02:01 AM
'88 E-350
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by LittleLucy
Would a light bulb , under the hood, help with the frigid temps. Trying to work with what I have lol
Yup. The factory block heater is supposedly rated at 1000W, mine pulls 860-ish, so consider that when you're sizing a light bulb to serve as your block heater.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:50 AM
sunuvabug
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by LittleLucy
A light bulb should help. Some farmers use incandescent bulbs to keep a little heat in their shallow well pump sheds to keep the water from freezing in the lines. I'd just be careful where I'd position it ... i.e. not directly touching anything that has oil or grease on it. Don't want to encourage all that extra "heat" from setting something on fire.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:51 AM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by sunuvabug
A light bulb should help. Some farmers use incandescent bulbs to keep a little heat in their shallow well pump sheds to keep the water from freezing in the lines. I'd just be careful where I'd position it ... i.e. not directly touching anything that has oil or grease on it. Don't want to encourage all that extra "heat" from setting something on fire.
This is a good point. A children's easy bake oven operates at up to 400* and is heated by a lightbulb.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:33 PM
LittleLucy
Freshman User
Thank you :)

I don't think my block heater works

Old 02-10-2019, 04:42 PM
HD Rider
Cargo Master
I would start by checking the cord to your block heater. That's the part that most often fails.
The heater is located in the oil filter housing. The cord is retained by a threaded lock collar. You can unscrew the lock and unplug the cord to change it. To replace the heater itself, it's best to drain the cooling system or you'll get a shower under the truck. Cords and heaters are sold separately.

Last edited by HD Rider; 02-10-2019 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-10-2019, 05:44 PM
LittleLucy
Freshman User
Cold natured b#*@#

I am so tired of the effort that I have to go to to get it started if I don't drive it everyday
I had a conversation with it that went like this
"ok....so I have you for times like this (snowpocalypse in Seattle ish) and you don't wanna start in times LIKE THIS!!!!!
GGRRRRRR
I literally had a girl tantrum
I got close
it vrrmed for a half a second
but we're in unusual conditions
the conditions where I really need this b..... to RUN
I look after a vet and an elderly woman
sorry
just venting
thanks for the input
and I do believe that the light bulb helped somewhat

Quick Reply: 7.3 Glow Plug Relay Cycle Time Depends On Oil Temperature