Sponsored by: DP Tuner

My ZF6 clutch change adventure thread

Old 01-24-2019, 05:52 PM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Received 1,131 Likes on 643 Posts
My ZF6 clutch change adventure thread

Well as a fellow member on here likes to remind me

So, I better start a thread on the clutch job so @Sous won't start the public outcry for banishment
Nah, he's just curious of the entire process and wants to learn like everyone else here

So background, 98k miles and one day the throwout bearing went to grinding and sqauling with every shift. Well if i gotta tear down into it that far to replace it i would be stupid to not replace the rest of the crap in there. So after 2 solid weeks researching every minute that i wasn't at work or attempting to sleep, i put together my parts list to replace everything between the back of the engine block and the input shaft

I've read too many threads on the web where shortly after a new clutch install the OE design clutch fork broke right at the end of the reinforcement vs the updated fork's longer reinforcement. So i ordered an updated South Bend fork thru RiffRaff Link

Clutch will be a South Bend 1944-60K-HD, rated for 425hp 800TQ and 20k# towing, has a new solid flywheel, upgraded all metal cast throwout bearing and came with a kevlar bushing (which i dont plan on using due to bad reviews, but will if i have to) Link

Also bought the Fitzall input shaft repair kit and pilot bearing since pretty much every input shaft is messed up from the crappy OE needle bearing and i didn't want to tear into it and discover my input shaft was worn and then have to wait a week on shipping.

While the ZF6 is removed i plan to do the rear valley drain tube mod. I also figured what the hay, ordered some 10mm thick sound deadener/heat shielding to maybe quiet down the cab and keep trans and exhaust heat out during our cross country summer trips. Will apply that to the bottom of the cab over trans/exhaust area.

Also ordered the KC turbos SXE drop in turbine to give that a go at lowering EGTs and faster spooling. Less than a handfull of reveiws on here about it, with even less info on heavy towing results, and currently no info for stock .84 turbine housing on a ZF6, why not be the 1st guinea pig for the forum and especially all the CA peeps that can't do a T4 or KC38R Link

Teaser pic

Old 01-24-2019, 05:59 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,428 Likes on 2,835 Posts
Thanks for the good read and taking the time to post pictures and progress. There are quite a few members interested in how the turbine wheel will perform, including me.

Although, I'm really hoping to learn from your ZF6 clutch replacement.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:07 PM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
So today was the big day, I have 7 days off work, hopefully enough time to do all the work I have planned. Got the 3 kids on their 2 school busses, kissed my wife as she left to go teach 10th grade English, and then drove our exchange student to her teaching internship.

Whew, 19* outside Was planning on going to a carwash to blast the crap outta everything before the work, so ran some errands waiting on temps to come up above freezing, went to the carwash at 10a, takes quarters only, go to the change machine, it's not working, 3 broken change machines later figured phooey on it. Off to my parent's enclosed metal shop to get this underway.

Coffee, check
Multiple boxes of parts, check
Willing helper, check
My 3yr old helper

Gloves, check

Surprised how well these work, wearing them or Mechanix gloves

Safety glasses for falling bits of dirt, check
These 3M dudes have good top, bottom, and side protection for crumbly bits that always fall down while working under a vehicle

First step, Lower all the windows, unlock all doors, then disconnect batteries , surprised that's not listed in the book for an oil change

Next up, spray PB Blaster on all the bolts underneath to be messed with

Next up i disconnected the starter
That darn gorilla that installed this did a good job on torquing down the 3 bolts holding it on. Tight suckers. I better have a talk with him when i see him again, In the mirror...

Next step lower the starter, Aright, popped it out of the bell housing, then WTF IS THAT! My 3 yr old son started screaming bloody murder as i start to lower to starter down, thinking he cut his fingers off with something in the shop, and quite startled, i dropped the starter which luckily i caught b4 it hit the concrete floor, unfortunately i used my face to catch it...

Warning; dummy in mirror is closer than he appears. Wipe the grime off, pick up the toy hippopotamus your son dropped and began screaming about, and get back to work

Next i undid the transfer case floor shifter from the linkage under the cab, sigh, remembering that those ZF6 making Germans like to use metric, i needed a 10mm gear wrench to disconnect the 2 bolts since a socket wouldn't clear the cab. Gloves wouldn't work the phone's camera, maybe I'll get pics of it tomorrow

Edit: added pics

Stuck the 10mm bolts back in and gotcha a pic for those of us without that fancy/failure prone electronic stuff

Next i used the 10mm to remove the skid plate under the transfer case
Then i remembered to take a photo... Better late than never? It goes directly above where it currently lies in photo

Next i crawled into the cab to undo the shifter boot, crap, forgot to slide the seat all the way back b4 batteries were disconnected, this will be even more cramped than normal... Holy cow those front 2 screws are soo close to the lower dash panel. Even a stubby screwdriver wouldn't fit. In the end i had to take a 4" crescent wrench to turn a 1 1/2" long Phillips drill/driver bit 1/8 turn at a time. 20 min later i could lift up and turn the black boot inside out on itself up the shifter, (my white cab boot was intact @Sous ) then used a 6m (i think) allen wrench to remove the shifter from the top of the transmission

Removed it all in 1 piece after my torx bolts stripped and couldn't remove it in sections. Will give me something to do removing the bolts later

Oh, what's this in the cup holder? The hot coffee i forgot about. Sip sip.

Next up disconnect the drive shafts. Where's my 1/2" drive socket set and breaker bars? Craap, i forgot those at home. 3/8" drive it is... wait 12 point bolts?

Of course my 3/8" 12 points are deep well and won't fit in the space available

12mm gear wrench are 12 point Sigh, won't break loose with such a short wrench, didn't wanna use a cheater bar on a gear wrench. Gonna have to make a trip home for forgotten tools.

Snapped pics of the Racor for another post, my mom came in & started visiting with us which blew my concentration and pretty much halted all truck stuff. 10 min later my alarm went off, gotta put stuff away, transfer car seat from rear of my crew cab to borrow dad's '97 F250 extended cab. OMG, how the F did me and my two 6'2" brothers fit back here during HS on our family vacations towing a 5th wheel? Got our boy strapped in his seat and ready to go pick up our exchange student from the school she is interning at then beat the kids' bus to our house.
Yup, went to use the ZF5 with the 5.4L ; killed it; twice Haven't used the accelerator in soo long starting out with the ZF6 i had forgot how to shift in 1st with a gasser

Maybe tomorrow will be a better day

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-24-2019, 07:16 PM
beef tits
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Wesley Green
Glad you're finally getting this thing in!

Hard to tell in that pic, but your inner white shift boot - is it torn at all? My truck would reach 85-95 dB in the cab when I first bough it, mostly due to that boot being torn. After fixing that & doing a few mods that also quieted down the engine ( FRX, etc. it hovers around 65-70 dB.

Old 01-24-2019, 07:26 PM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
White was not torn

Old 01-24-2019, 08:00 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Good pictures and great story!

Looking forward to what is to come. I am envious of your ability, knowledge and guts to get this job done yourself.

Big cheers brother and I owe you a cold beer one day.

Old 01-24-2019, 08:29 PM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Sous
Good pictures and great story. Looking forward to what is to come. I am envious of your ability, knowledge and guts to get this job done yourself.
I thought the pictures sucked when blown up on here, need to intentionally take more time to retake these and the make next ones better.

Ability? Not yet.
Knowledge? Mostly read, not yet applied.
Guts? Meh, i guess. Mostly not afraid to go down in flames trying to do it myself vs dropping it off at a dealership with my arm, leg, firstborn, and stacks of cash

Old 01-25-2019, 02:32 AM
IDI-Charlie
Fleet Mechanic
Received 65 Likes on 20 Posts
I did it alone in my driveway, you can definitely get it done in that shop - I have faith! I will suggest to stay outside the frame rails when removing/installing the transmission itself. If the thing rolls, in theory the frame rails give you a little bit of security. At least that's what I told myself (before and after the two subsequent rolls my transmission did to me).

Old 01-25-2019, 09:26 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by Wesley Green
I thought the pictures sucked when blown up on here, need to intentionally take more time to retake these and the make next ones better.

Ability? Not yet.
Knowledge? Mostly read, not yet applied.
Guts? Meh, i guess. Mostly not afraid to go down in flames trying to do it myself vs dropping it off at a dealership with my arm, leg, firstborn, and stacks of cash
This made me laugh. Hey, use ratchet straps to hold the trans up if needed. I rented a trans jack when I did mine. It was the best 50 bucks I spent. It's really not a difficult job, but it is physically taxing. You gots my digits. Holler if you need any help.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:32 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Here ya go if it helps. You might remember this LOL

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...rabby-ike.html

Old 01-25-2019, 05:39 PM
Wes444
Logistics Pro
Today could have gone better, granted it could have been worse too. It was 13* out when i woke up at 3a and could not get back to sleep. Worst part was i was craving a burger. After the morning routine of getting everyone off to schools me n my helper went to the local diner for breakfast, mostly because they have the best Mushroom swiss burger I've ever had during all my travels, which i try out everywhere we go, and because no one else in town sells burgers at 8am. Lil dude ate 2 eggs, pancakes and bacon, then finished off my fries. Pig

So today i started back up on those stupid 12point bolts that hold the drive shafts to the transfer case.
Lil guy wussed out and stayed inside to play with Grandma.

None of my hefty sockets for my breaker bars would fit in the confined space available. That's when suddenly out of no where our good friend @BBslider001 starts texting me for status updates and moral/knowledge support Dilly Dilly, reps are deserved.
This guy couldn't let me turn wrenches in peace without sending another text right after i put the phone back in my coveralls top zipper pocket
Link Link

I really am grateful for him tho, helped me power thru the cold and stubborn bolts.

So since breaker bars were out of the running that meant 12 point boxed end wrenches.
HeMan himself assembled my truck

After struggling with the bolts i figured, hey I'll just pop out the ujoints and disconnect stuff that way. Uh no. After breaking/snapping a C clamp, figured i better go back to the bolts.

So after spraying PB Blaster again and grunting and re-spraying and attempting to keep up with texts finally 30 minutes later of this cycle, 1 bolt broke loose and gave way to my new found determination. 7 more to go... So after 2 hours of this crap all 8 bolts were out

Rear deiveshaft

Front driveshaft

Ahh, sweet, hollow victory. 19* inside the shop, can't feel my hands from using literal frozen metal tools, 2 layers of socks and still can't feel anything but numb toes. Power thru it you whimp!

Unplugged the electrical sensors on the ZF6
Reverse light sensor on the passenger side

4 wheel HI/LOW sensor on drivers side. Ran out of hands holding work light and phone while pointing and had to click the camera using my nose

Rolled the transmission jack into general position, and got it ready to do some lifting
Only rated for 1k pounds, hope it handles this beast, its not the normal countless racecar transmissions its been used on for decades

Started breaking loose all the transmission mounting bolts and cross member bolts

Ahh, 24" breaker bars make life so easy after the past 3 hours

For my fellow guys that have had to pee outside when its freaking below freezing you'll appreciate my hurry to call it a day and run into the house and thaw out at the woodstove.

Grabbed this pic real quick before heading out

Inside the cab, showing how i covered the transmission shifter opening with a doubled up plastic bag, electrical tape, and some of the allen bolts

After regaining feeling in my extremities, revisiting my childhood throne, and seeing the clock i had to call it a day and get home before school busses. Tomorrow is Saturday, so no school to contend with my available time. Hope to have pictures of the trans dropped, mods done and ready to stab for you all tomorrow night.

Progress at the speed of right

Old 01-25-2019, 07:10 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Wesley, nice job. Did Byron remind you LEFTY LOOSY RIGHTY TIGHTY? . Now regarding the cold, keeping yourself warm-put some hand warmers in a sock and wrap it around your back by kidneys, Makes a huge difference! Bring your tools in the house at night so they’re warm from the start, next Grab a hot pad and put your tools on that in the shop. That’ll keep them warm and keep your dexterity in your fingers.

Old 01-25-2019, 07:19 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Looks like you are doing well so far.

Did you have the front axle locked in order to keep the front driveshaft from spinning while taking the bolts out?

Are you planning to completely remove the transmission from under the truck and if so how are you supporting the truck so high up?

Did you mark the drive shafts in some way so they go back on the same way and stay balanced? I don't know if the balancing conflicts are only between the u-joints and mounts on the drive shaft or if the bracket on the differential and transmission are part of the balancing puzzle too.

Tell Byron he has few precious moments to get those springs installed before he heads west!

Old 01-25-2019, 08:40 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Haha!! Just doing my part Wes!! Glad to bug ya to death. That's why I'm here.

Sous, I'll be starting the spring install tomorrow. That gives me two decent weather days. so I don't anticipate anything going wrong, it gives me enough time to run for parts and get everything done hopefully. It all looks like pretty straightforward bolt-in stuff though. I'll have some photos up in the other thread for everybody's enjoyment.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:36 PM
slowsure
Tuned
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Lookin good Wesley!
Im pulling for ya. Hope it’s warmer for you tomorrow.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My ZF6 clutch change adventure thread