Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Time to sort out the next set of tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 07:50 PM
SRBF150
Laughing Gas
Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
Time to sort out the next set of tires

I've been running 285/65/18 Load E Nitto Terra Grapplers and this is what three of the four look like now. 2 to 3/32nds tread.

I had a sidewall puncture this summer and Discount Tire replaced that one tire with a newer version to what was on the truck. It lives on the front as I didn't want to run it on the rear axle with the TrueTrac differential. It looks pretty good:

My Current spare is a 285/75/16 on an OEM steel rim. I acquired it used from a tire shop back when I ran 285's on the OEM rims. This is pretty close to the same OD as the 18's, but here is the opportunity to get another 18" wheel for the spare and use the replacement tire which is in much better condition than my spare. I'll get the benefit of using the same lug nuts and exactly the same size tire which, when towing a trailer, is a plus to not have to shift tires around while under full weight. The spare looks like this:

My 18's are American Racing 18X9 0 offset and are 3640lbs load capacity each:

I found a blemished 18x9 0 offset wheel from SD wheels on eBay for $84 dollars shipped. It is also a 3640lb capacity wheel and just has some chips and scrapes.

Not sure what this sticker on the wheel is about, but my wife thought it was funny and had all sorts of things to say at my expense:

So, back on topic, I confirmed fitment and it looks just like the others...cool.

With all the good reviews on Centramatic wheel balancers and that I had the wonderful bed bounce at particular speeds, I've decided to order up a set of 300-318 wheel balancers and go with those and not have the new tires I choose to be balanced. Next installment will be about the centramatics once I receive them.

Old 01-19-2019, 08:35 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,459 Likes on 2,849 Posts
Looking forward to your thoughts on the Centramatic balancers, they seem to be doing a good job for everyone that has installed them.

As for tires, I am very happy with the Cooper ST MAXX I have been running for the past 4 years now, but when their time comes I will seriously consider the Toyo M55's as a replacement. I think the truck will always have one of those two tires on based on my research, experience and the experiences of some trusted friends and family.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:54 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
Those are some good looking wheels.

The Nitto Grapplers are good tires. Are you not happy with them, miles you got out of them or what.

I'm running Goodrich T/A KO2's and am very happy with them. I don't live in a snow and ice part of the country so that would be something to consider. They are quiet for all terrain tires and are wearing well. I don't tow heavy and we're fortunate in the state of Georgia to have really good roads so tires last longer here than some other places.

Also running Centramatics and couldn't be happier with the smooth ride they provide.

Old 01-19-2019, 10:30 PM
RigCity
Laughing Gas
Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts
Where did you get those slotted and dimpled rotors ? My driver side one was destroyed sometime ago and have been looking for a new match on the passenger side Thanks
my truck has the good year duratracs I think it’s a good compromise between a mud tire and all terrain. I’m on track for 50-60k and will most likely get my truck it’s 4th set when the time comes.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:02 AM
SRBF150
Laughing Gas
The nitto's have been pretty good overall. The wear, noise, towing stability are all good. The traction hasn't been great here in NC though. I get stuck in 2wd on 1" of red clay even with the truetrac and have to lock hubs. The rear tires became worn pretty quickly without rotation unfortunately due to the new tire being introduced to the mix. So, I"m looking for something a little more aggressive because I do drive the truck outdoors for hunting which is another benefit I see with the centramatics dealing with temporary imbalance caused by mud/debris.

I was considering the Toyo M55's, but they don't make them in a 285/65/18 and this is the size I'm sticking with as it's just under 33" (32.8), will fit in the spare tire area snugly and I can turn full lock so they're pretty much ideal IMO.

I had BFG AT's a number of years ago and was disappointed in the life, although I have read they have improved this.

At this point, the Goodyear Duratrac (load E) have my attention. Friends love them and they have great reviews. Another key aspect is they have the mountain snowflake which will be a benefit for our upcoming relocation back to the NW where we'll be navigating mountain passes again and I'll be in the mountains during time off.

The rotors came from Powerstop and purchased through Amazon. I don't know if you can get one rotor from Amazon or would need to contact Powerstop. That's another subject, but my next set of rotors will be OEM.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:36 AM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by SRBF150
The traction hasn't been great here in NC though. I get stuck in 2wd on 1" of red clay even with the truetrac and have to lock hubs. .
I'm familiar with the red clay. Not sure anything short of a mud tire will fix that. We have hunted places that had red clay and kaolin mix. You can get stuck on a very slight grade in 4wd. That crap is Slick as ice.

I would go with a mud tire if I spent more time off road but they don't wear as well and are noisier so since mine is a DD with most time on pavement All Terrains it is. The Duratrac is intriguing.

Since your headed for the NW and conditions there are so much different looking forward to hearing from some of those who live there. Don't think an A/T will be your best option.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:51 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
I have a 2wd Dually with a Truetrac and needed a tire that gets traction in all conditions especially snow, packed snow and slush, did a ton of research. I decided on the Cooper A/TW. It’s Cooper’s year round snow tire, aggressive tread, excellent road manors and very little noise. I currently have a little over 42K on them with slightly over 6/32 on them and I didn’t balance them as often as I should have and that’s why I bought the Centramatic Balancers. I will be needing new tires in the future and the Cooper’s are still on the top of the list, I’ve considered the Duratrac’s and the Hankook Dynapro AT. I’ve stopped people I’ve seen running the Duratrac and everyone has mentioned if you don’t rotate them religiously they’ll cup, not a big deal but it’s in line with what Discount tire has said too. The Hankook is an excellent tire, I’ve run it before with great success but never on a 2wd vehicle. And I have a buddy with a 6.0 Dually that was running them and switch to the Cooper’s after seeing them preform on my truck in a major snowstorm we both got stuck in, on I70 in Colorado. In fairness his tires were around 5/32-6/32 per his admission but he also has 4x4. That says a lot to me about traction. I looked regarding the size you’re running because if they don’t carry it it makes no sense to suggest it. Cooper’s ATW comes in 275/65/18 -slightly smaller and 275/70/18 -slightly larger see link below. And they have a 50k warranty.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc...5r18-275-70r18

Old 01-20-2019, 11:31 AM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I've run tons of coopers on trucks and jeeps, they all seem to work great. That was until I was looking for a size roughly 33x13 for a bigger foot print in the Cummins because it would boil any tires off I put on it. After tons of looking at weight ratings, speed ratings, traction ratings, mileage ratings and over all reviews I went with a set of hankook dynapro ATMs and let me tell you what! I'll never have another truck tire again. They gripped better then any street tire I've had in all conditions not to mention they rode better then most too. They're worth looking into if you haven't yet.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:01 PM
SRBF150
Laughing Gas
There is a very valid point to be made that less aggressive is fine given I won't be dealing with red clay anymore. The Hankooks, Coopers including ST MAXX as per Sous, Toyo ATII, Goodyear Wrangle Ultra Terrain (Discount tire exclusive) are all going to probably be good choices as most of my drive is on asphalt as typical. Just need the performance to be there on gravel roads, fire lanes, etc. Not wheeling or mudding. Decision, decisions....

Old 01-20-2019, 12:05 PM
beef tits
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My KO2s do well offroad, but mud is never good. You have to remember too that you are in a behemoth of a truck that probably shouldn't be off-road to begin with.

I hear BFG has a new KO2 version out specifically for heavy trucks with a 50k mile warranty.

Old 01-20-2019, 01:27 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,459 Likes on 2,849 Posts
Originally Posted by SRBF150
There is a very valid point to be made that less aggressive is fine given I won't be dealing with red clay anymore. The Hankooks, Coopers including ST MAXX as per Sous, Toyo ATII, Goodyear Wrangle Ultra Terrain (Discount tire exclusive) are all going to probably be good choices as most of my drive is on asphalt as typical. Just need the performance to be there on gravel roads, fire lanes, etc. Not wheeling or mudding. Decision, decisions....

If you are down in my neck of the woods soon, you are more than welcome to come by and see the Coopers in action. I liked them so much I bought a set of applicable Coopers for our Subaru.

Any of the tires you have focused on though will be a good choice I imagine.

I have subscribed to this thread for future reference as despite really liking the ST MAXX, there is always room for improvement.

EDIT: Because of where I park my truck, I need to have somewhat aggressive tires due to the grass, dirt / mud and the hill to get to the parking area. If you like, I could send you a text with a picture of it to give you an idea of what the truck faces each time I park it. Not a big deal considering your future use of the truck, but more information is usually a good thing.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:24 AM
SRBF150
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by beef ****
I hear BFG has a new KO2 version out specifically for heavy trucks with a 50k mile warranty.
This prompted a look at the BFG site and I found this interesting tire:

https://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire...l-t-a-traction

Too bad not in the size I need, but may be something others would be interested in.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:40 AM
brokestroke
Cargo Master
Received 812 Likes on 462 Posts
The ST MAXX is a great tire unless it is too aggressive for your liking. I've got them on my Excursion and F350. Great wear characteristics, good manners and not very loud. I run loose beads in mine for balancing and have no issues. My favorite part about them is how great they hook in snow and ice. Best snow tires I have ran. They do equally well in mud and unload the treads easily. My Excursion has around 15-20k miles on them with a lot of life left. They did get a little louder with age but they are nothing like a Duratrac. Lol

​​​​

Old 01-21-2019, 07:42 AM
SRBF150
Laughing Gas
The ST MAXX is high on the list, not too aggressive for me. I like the strength offered in it which is reflected in it weighing about 5 more lbs than the other options.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:17 AM
BLUEMAX65
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm also in the market for tires. Anybody try the Cooper AT3 XLT's ? A few people out here in Phoenix praise these. 60K mile warranty.

Quick Reply: Time to sort out the next set of tires