Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Cold start/ hard start problem driving me nuts

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 11:17 AM
cabloom300
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold start/ hard start problem driving me nuts

So I've posted about this issue before and made only slight process. Background on the truck. 2000 with 307k. Parts replaces in the last 4ish years approx 25k miles. OEM ICP, IPR, injector o rings, glow plugs uvch, stancor relay and some other things not related to the issue. To my knowledge, stock injectors, and hpop. Before I start, I run 15w-40 oil. I know it may not be the best thing to use in the winter but I've had no issues in the past and has started great in the cold weather. So this year I've had an intermittent signal to the GPR. I have since seem to find the issue and its turning on all the time but having a heck of a time starting. I was going to test the batteries (around 4 year old dekas) but I was just using my brothers 7.3 to helping it turn over a tad quicker. This is what it did this morning. Cranked it twice and and the third time finally started. It almost sounded like gp's but it dont think that could be the problem. I ohmed them at the harness and they were all right around .5 ohms. To me it almost sounds like its hpo related I will get my computer on it to try and read the icp while cranking. It also starts better but cranks longer than it should and doesnt start as rapid as it should either. So its primarily a cold problem but also reflects on the warm starting which again to me shoes that it may be icp related and not glow plugs or injectors. I'm going to try and get the icp while cranking. I know 6.0s have long cranking issues with hpo issues but would the 7.3 hpop go out like this. Where should I go from here? This truck has been great but I can't figure it out and I need this truck from time to time. Thanks!

https://youtu.be/I_a2BVaXkVk

Old 01-19-2019, 11:20 AM
cabloom300
Elder User
Another video of it warmed up and starting. To the average person this may not sound but but to me, I know its cranking longer and once started idles slower than it should and then it rebounds

https://youtu.be/fdMyhmIc-M0

Old 01-19-2019, 02:42 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cabloom300
Another video of it warmed up and starting. To the average person this may not sound but but to me, I know its cranking longer and once started idles slower than it should and then it rebounds

https://youtu.be/fdMyhmIc-M0
Sounds - looks perfectly normal to me on the warm start video. These are not gas engines,IPR and ICP are just compensation on initial startup to maintain a constant RPM. What is your concern? If your brother had to jump to start in cold then yes the batteries are probably toast or the starter is gone past it's service life, just a guess. Have a link to the cold start issue please post it here.

Old 01-19-2019, 02:46 PM
beef tits
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you are on original injectors at 307k, you probably need new ones. I kept looking for reasons not to buy them and replaced everything else on my truck... nothing got it to start in the cold until I did injectors. With 15W40 mine were so bad it wouldn't fire under 40F outside... then it ran like **** until it warmed up a bit. I'd have no throttle response at all on cold starts until it ran a few minutes. This was at 180k miles.

When it does cold-start, do you have throttle response right away?

Old 01-19-2019, 03:07 PM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
Well, the easiest place to start is have your batteries load tested. Then proceed from there. If you have a good charger either charge the batteries on low amp setting over night and/or put the charger on vehicle start (high amp) and see if it starts better.

Old 01-19-2019, 06:09 PM
cabloom300
Elder User
The cold start video is posted in my original post. and yes if i give it throttle right away it responds to it. I just have a hard time thinking the all the sudden my injectors are bad. This is the first year ive had any issues what so ever with starting. Also the cold start was the THIRD time cranking before it would start. The only reason we hooked up his truck was to crank it a bit fast being that it wasent plugged in.

Old 01-19-2019, 09:25 PM
Brandonpdx
Cargo Master
Received 278 Likes on 234 Posts
At that mileage it really could be multiple issues at the same time. It sounded like it was having a hell of a time building injection pressure and holding it once it finally got going (romping). I think it's 500 psi the PCM needs to see before it will even try to start the engine. You're shooting around in the dark though without any way to monitor the sensors with a laptop. (ForScan) I would be curious was the ICP readings look like under starting and driving conditions and also IPR values. But if you put a new IPR in it somewhat recently it probably isn't that. Sounded like it hot started pretty normally anyway which is usually where you notice long hot starts. Wild a*s guess would be a kaputt HPOP that can't crank that cold 15W40 anymore.

Old 01-19-2019, 10:38 PM
Colorado Horseman
Tuned
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
Typical of worn poppets- plus you undoubtedly took years off the life of your starter by cranking this long.

Get new 850 CCA batteries (both of them). Plug engine heater in for 3-4 hours and try again. Should start fairly quickly even if glow plugs are marginal. Best to OHM glow plugs to check them, but should start even if they are marginal. An injector "Buzz Test" will find worn poppets.

Many "cold start" topics on site - usual fix is batteries, glow plugs and relay, and shimming worn poppets.

Search is your friend!

7.3 Injector Shim Kit

Old 01-20-2019, 07:49 AM
cabloom300
Elder User
Originally Posted by Colorado Horseman
Typical of worn poppets- plus you undoubtedly took years off the life of your starter by cranking this long.

Get new 850 CCA batteries (both of them). Plug engine heater in for 3-4 hours and try again. Should start fairly quickly even if glow plugs are marginal. Best to OHM glow plugs to check them, but should start even if they are marginal. An injector "Buzz Test" will find worn poppets.

Many "cold start" topics on site - usual fix is batteries, glow plugs and relay, and shimming worn poppets.

Search is your friend!

7.3 Injector Shim Kit
again, relay is brand new. GPS are 4ish years old OEM. And I also ohmed them yesterday, all were give or take .5 ohms at the harness. I'm going to see what forscan will tell me about icp and try to run a buzz test to. Then I'll try plugging it in and see what it does from there.

Old 01-20-2019, 07:52 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
You say that you're running 15W40 oil. Quite a few have reported a notable improvement by switching to 5W40, your call.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:12 AM
Brandonpdx
Cargo Master
Received 278 Likes on 234 Posts
Switching to 5w40 syn oil might help a little and also adding a 4oz bottle of XPD Boost when you fill up helps get it going a little quicker with the bump in cetane. Also give the glow plugs a nice long on-time before even trying it. On a cold morning ill let it sit there for 50-60 seconds but they can stay on for up to 120 depending on the temp. But you'll probably end up having to get your hands dirty at some point to really fix whatever that is. You've either got badly worn injectors or a problem with the high pressure oil system, either one is possible at that mileage.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:18 AM
beef tits
Laughing Gas
Poppet shimming is a temporary fix, if it is indeed the problem, and you want it fixed for good, you need new injectors.

Old 01-20-2019, 11:26 AM
schlepprock250
Cargo Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
After replacing my batteries, battery cables and starter and seeing the difference...your starter is definitely dragging.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:06 PM
BillyBob69
Lead Driver

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Have you checked the oil level in the HPOP when its cold before you try to start it? I haven't seen all injectors go south at the same time so I am with you on that point but the HPOP drive the injectors so if it draining back down then when you are cranking, it is refilling the HPOP and finally getting the injectors to fire.
My E99 has 342k on the clock and all original motor. I just put new GPs in it yesterday and it fired up this morning just fine in 25 weather. I would think if it was a bad injector you would feel like a miss or chugging. But for all to go at the same time...not sure I buy into that.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:12 PM
beef tits
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by BillyBob69
I would think if it was a bad injector you would feel like a miss or chugging. But for all to go at the same time...not sure I buy into that.
Old worn injectors are different than "a bad injector", they are hardly noticeable once the truck starts to warm up.

A well-working truck should fire up after one glow plug cycle in single digit weather, even slightly below 0 on 15W40, without being plugged in.

Quick Reply: Cold start/ hard start problem driving me nuts