Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Injector O-ring supplemental part list

Old 01-16-2019, 07:55 AM
RigCity
Laughing Gas
Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts
Injector O-ring supplemental part list

My fuel filter comes back a little black, yet the truck does not appear to use extra oil and the black rubber insulation around the fuel bowl heater is very worn. 2 changes ago it was like pulling jelly off the power line. I feel that may be helping change the color and know it needs to be replaced in good time. Anyways, I want to know upfront about what I’m looking at for this job.
this is where I am at so far

injector o ring kit
glow plugs
valve cover gaskets
uvch harness
I am wondering if I should also replace all of the rocker arm bolts and injector hold down bolts.

Are there any other parts I am missing? The more new parts the better!

Old 01-16-2019, 08:52 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
How many miles on the vehicle?

Reason I ask is that when you pull the injectors for o-rings, you might want to consider new cups at the same time while you're in there... again, depending on your miles and future plans and whatnot.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:35 AM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
I would leave the cups alone unless you are having an issue with them.

Replacing the valve cover gaskets and UVCH is optional as long as there aren't any burned connections or other issues. I would not replace the rocker arm bolts and hold down bolts as they aren't a wear item and you're just changing them for the sake of changing them.

Whatever you decide to replace, use Motorcraft parts ONLY, especially on the glow plugs.

Old 01-16-2019, 02:19 PM
RigCity
Laughing Gas
I don’t seem to have any issues with the cups at this time I am hoping to leave that alone as I feel that may be a little past the finish line for me. The o rings don’t seem to be giving any symptom but the black fuel filter yet They must be getting old. As for the bolts I have heard of a few people having them snap I can’t say if it was on them or the bolt but I do like to limit surprises. Deffinetly going to use some denatured alcohol to clean the inner threads as someone suggested to remove and oil so I don’t accidentally over torque.

Old 01-16-2019, 02:46 PM
Hussler
Postmaster

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by RigCity
it was like pulling jelly off the power line
Almost sounds like algae in the fuel system, maybe. Before tearing into the engine have you considered that possibility?

Old 01-16-2019, 03:07 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,427 Likes on 2,834 Posts
Originally Posted by Hussler
Almost sounds like algae in the fuel system, maybe. Before tearing into the engine have you considered that possibility?
I agree with this.

If you are not seeing any of the typical signs that injector o-rings are leaking, maybe try the cheap and easy route of treating the fuel for algae. If that doesn't work, you have only less a few bucks and a little time.

Old 01-16-2019, 05:07 PM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
Another vote for some biocide.

I wouldn't recommend pulling your sticks unless you're pretty convinced you need to (or have run out of options and don't want to give your keys to a shop).

Not the most difficult job but you are moving things around that haven't been touched in almost 20 years and there's a lot of supporting stuff to do to make sure it starts again. Not to mention all of the "hey that's old...maybe I should replace it while I've got everything torn apart" moments you'll have.

The wallet empties quick for a "thorough" job. I have that t-shirt and it should be 24K gold for what it cost me.

Old 01-16-2019, 05:32 PM
RigCity
Laughing Gas
I will try the biocide if that is the case I have been running the truck with algae for sometime. The jelly stuff was the insulation on the fuel bowl heater.

Old 01-16-2019, 05:36 PM
RigCity
Laughing Gas
Here are a few photos the filter has 10k on it

Old 01-16-2019, 06:17 PM
beef tits
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by andym
I would leave the cups alone unless you are having an issue with them.
Agreed,

Take a peek in the holes and check your injector tips, but don't just go replacing these for the sake of it... you risk just causing more problems. They aren't that easy to install correctly.

Old 01-17-2019, 06:08 AM
RigCity
Laughing Gas

10k on the filter

Insulation was jelly like

Old 01-17-2019, 06:12 AM
RigCity
Laughing Gas
The only reason I have the injector o rings on the list is the color of the fuel filter. Which has been coming out like that for some time. The other parts on the list are all while I’m in there replacements. I am going to try the biocide hopefully today. Also thinking of pulling the current filter for inspection. As for the injector cups I’m hoping that never has to be done for my engine lol

Old 01-17-2019, 09:15 AM
brian42
Lead Driver
Received 118 Likes on 78 Posts
That's what mine looked like. I was also burning through oil like there was no tomorrow. 1 qt every 100 miles or so, smoke out the tailpipe, and about 1 mpg better overall.

The only thing that drove me to actually get serious about pulling sticks was the fact I was burning a lot more oil than normal and it wasn't leaking out anywhere and pooling under the engine.

Old 01-17-2019, 09:38 AM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
Depending on where you live, if you can do without the heater, then unplug it. Id do the hutch mod with that biocide stuff too. Reason with heater unplugged is, maybe its burning your fuel and the filter is taking the hit..try it for a few thousand miles

Old 01-17-2019, 09:53 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,427 Likes on 2,834 Posts
Sure looks like oil on the filter, but if the truck as a whole is not consuming oil, then in my opinion it is difficult to say your problem is the injector o-rings.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Injector O-ring supplemental part list