EcoBoost (all engine sizes) 3.5L Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.7 Twin Turbo EcoBoost V6, 2.3l/2.0L I4 EcoBoost Engines

2011 ecoboost problem.

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 01:48 PM
danny2313
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 ecoboost problem.

I am getting codes:
P0365- Camshaft Position Sensor B circuit (Bank 1)
P0369-Camshaft Position Sensor B circuit Intermittent (Bank 1)
P0390-camshaft Position Sensor B Circuit (Bank 2)
P0394-Camshaft Position Sensor B Circuit intermittent (bank 2)

The truck idles a little rough and makes a light clattering sound when you mash the gas but responds and moves on fine. I would assume the cam sensors are acting up. Has anyone ever encountered this and what was the fix? I was going out of town on a work trip and it was running great when i stopped and filled up with gas. Immediately when i cranked it up, it was having trouble. Also i would assume that Bank 1 is the driver side and the Bank 2 is the passenger side? Which of the 2 on each side would be B circuit? Or just change all of them if that is recommended and will possibly fix it. Thanks for any help as i am pulling my last few hairs out.

Old 01-09-2019, 11:50 PM
Boss9F100
Logistics Pro
Received 266 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by danny2313
I am getting codes:

The truck idles a little rough and makes a light clattering sound when you mash the gas but responds and moves on fine. I would assume the cam sensors are acting up. Has anyone ever encountered this and what was the fix? I was going out of town on a work trip and it was running great when i stopped and filled up with gas. Immediately when i cranked it up, it was having trouble. Also i would assume that Bank 1 is the driver side and the Bank 2 is the passenger side? Which of the 2 on each side would be B circuit? Or just change all of them if that is recommended and will possibly fix it. Thanks for any help as i am pulling my last few hairs out.
The 5.3 LS engines sell pretty reasonable.

Old 01-15-2019, 09:48 AM
Mcnawsty
Junior User
Originally Posted by danny2313
I am getting codes:

ooooohhhhh boyyyyyyyyyyyyy......... where to start.
This is not a good sign as your engine has succumbed to the cam phaser failure. You now have a stretched chain, and most likely some engine damage from you described. The 5.3 LS comment above is actually something to seriously consider. You can spend $4k to get this engine fixed (if just phasers and chain), $8K-9K for a new eco, or just do it the right way and LS swap it.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:05 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
Anyone running a first gen EcoBoost should do timing chains by 100k. It's not if but when and you can hear the slow progression with a startup rattle.

Old 01-15-2019, 04:33 PM
Beechkid
Received 208 Likes on 160 Posts
Originally Posted by Boss9F100
The 5.3 LS engines sell pretty reasonable.
But, whether you have routine smog inspections or not, when you go to sell the vehicle a smog inspection is required....no one local can facilitate that meaning it has to go to a federal referee station and they will decide if the "swap" is legal. If you try driving that one (say in Az) and you get stopped for speeding, etc., this also gives the officer the "excuse" (or justification) - assuming you have no documentation for the LS swap... to impound the vehicle. It doesn't get released to you either.....you get to go to court and just sit there a listen as the judge decides if the vehicle should be released, "repaired" or scrapped.....and you get to pay the whole bill!

Much better off going with the 5.4, EB, etc. imho

Old 01-22-2019, 09:02 AM
danny2313
Cross-Country
this truck does not have any rattle on start up.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:05 AM
danny2313
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by Mcnawsty
ooooohhhhh boyyyyyyyyyyyyy......... where to start.
This is not a good sign as your engine has succumbed to the cam phaser failure. You now have a stretched chain, and most likely some engine damage from you described. The 5.3 LS comment above is actually something to seriously consider. You can spend $4k to get this engine fixed (if just phasers and chain), $8K-9K for a new eco, or just do it the right way and LS swap it.
Is this something that would happen instantly? I stopped at a gas station to fuel up and the truck had been running great with no codes. When I started the truck it had a problem instantly. If i do have the problem you mentioned, I would assume by having a cam position sensor code on each side would be the indication?

Old 02-13-2019, 06:05 PM
Boss9F100
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Beechkid
But, whether you have routine smog inspections or not, when you go to sell the vehicle a smog inspection is required....no one local can facilitate that meaning it has to go to a federal referee station and they will decide if the "swap" is legal. If you try driving that one (say in Az) and you get stopped for speeding, etc., this also gives the officer the "excuse" (or justification) - assuming you have no documentation for the LS swap... to impound the vehicle. It doesn't get released to you either.....you get to go to court and just sit there a listen as the judge decides if the vehicle should be released, "repaired" or scrapped.....and you get to pay the whole bill!

Much better off going with the 5.4, EB, etc. imho
That statement is total BS! They could care less what engine you have and there are no rules or regulations for it in a non smog vehicle. A cop would never and cannot ask you to look underhood. And no they cannot impound the vehicle because you did a engine swap.

I have been in AZ since January 1986 and have done too many engine swaps to count. Including a early 5.0 (1987) Into a brand new Ranger in 1996 then added a supercharger too it. OBD II systems all they do is check to see if check engine light is on or not. If not you just passed emissions (they will also look for cats)

Obvious a poke at the LS I am now doing my 3rd EcoBoost swap (2.7 in a 1966 F100 4x4) I would not swap in a LS if it were brand new and free.

Oh yeah, My first EcoBoost swap was a 2011 in early 2012. It still runs fantastic. There are many many Eco's out there in excess of 200k miles.

With threats from beechkid in PM's I have adjusted my comment. Utter nonsense I still say. No cop in az is going to tow your vehicle after a speeding stop because you have a engine swap done.
My last post here.

Old 02-14-2019, 04:19 PM
Beechkid
That statement is 100% False! .
When you read this, you will now "Crap in your Pants"...………. and I quote.....

"For light duty vehicles, installation of a light-duty engine into a different light-duty vehicle by any person would be considered tampering unless the resulting vehicle is identical (with regard to all emission related parts, engine design parameters, and engine calibrations) to a certified configuration of the same or newer model year as the vehicle chassis, or if there is a reasonable basis for knowing that emissions are not adversely affected as described in Memo 1A."

What this means is...….the proof is on you to prove your emissions....and if you install a newer engine...for example you install a 2018 F150 EB engine in a 1995 F150, you have to install all the 2018 smog equipment with it...and it must meet al the 2018 inspection/test requirements as well....in short, you have to prove it.

This is a policy position paper dated March 1991 and since has been incorporated into Federal Law...

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...ngswitch_0.pdf

Others in AZ are reciting just exactly what I am saying as well...…..AZ has formally adopted the Federal Clean Air Act rules, and specific to engine swaps, take a further read on these sites from your not so distant neighbors....

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/engin...da-urgent.html

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/update-az-engine-swaps-ouch.387955/

and
it appears AZ is kinda going through what we in SoCal went through in the late 70's, as it will take a while for enforcement to be consistent across the board so to speak..... and for the actual information to be known and the training of the "tech inspectors" to fully get up to speed on this...… but it's there, been there and the enforcement will only increase over time.

Old 02-16-2019, 08:08 AM
Boss9F100
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Beechkid
When you read this, you will now "Crap in your Pants"...………. and I quote.....

"For light duty vehicles, installation of a light-duty engine into a different light-duty vehicle by any person would be considered tampering unless the resulting vehicle is identical (with regard to all emission related parts, engine design parameters, and engine calibrations) to a certified configuration of the same or newer model year as the vehicle chassis, or if there is a reasonable basis for knowing that emissions are not adversely affected as described in Memo 1A."

What this means is...….the proof is on you to prove your emissions....and if you install a newer engine...for example you install a 2018 F150 EB engine in a 1995 F150, you have to install all the 2018 smog equipment with it...and it must meet al the 2018 inspection/test requirements as well....in short, you have to prove it.

This is a policy position paper dated March 1991 and since has been incorporated into Federal Law...

https://www.epa.gov/sites/production...ngswitch_0.pdf

Others in AZ are reciting just exactly what I am saying as well...…..AZ has formally adopted the Federal Clean Air Act rules, and specific to engine swaps, take a further read on these sites from your not so distant neighbors....

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/engin...da-urgent.html

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/update-az-engine-swaps-ouch.387955/

and
it appears AZ is kinda going through what we in SoCal went through in the late 70's, as it will take a while for enforcement to be consistent across the board so to speak..... and for the actual information to be known and the training of the "tech inspectors" to fully get up to speed on this...… but it's there, been there and the enforcement will only increase over time.
I was referring to this quote about impounding the vehicle in arizona. Show me ONE (1) case in arizona where ANY law enforcement stopped a vehicle for speeding and impounded it because the vehicle had a engine swap!

"If you try driving that one (say in Az) and you get stopped for speeding, etc., this also gives the officer the "excuse" (or justification) - assuming you have no documentation for the LS swap... to impound the vehicle."

As I said I was joking about the LS swap.

Old 02-17-2019, 01:03 PM
Beechkid
I was referring to this quote about impounding the vehicle in arizona. Show me ONE (1) case in arizona where ANY law enforcement stopped a vehicle for speeding and impounded it because the vehicle had a engine swap!

"If you try driving that one (say in Az) and you get stopped for speeding, etc., this also gives the officer the "excuse" (or justification) - assuming you have no documentation for the LS swap... to impound the vehicle."

As I said I was joking about the LS swap.
It is not an uncommon practice and Fish & Game wardens are well know for initiating such actions..... and for probable cause, any law enforcement officer (this includes F&G, epa, etc.) has legal PC to further investigate if they and reason to belive the exhaust has been modified (louder noise)….. this is also part of the taught instruction at the academy

But now, with AZ formally adopting Fed CAA, enforcement, well, all I can say is welcome to where the large cities was in the late 70s..... and it doesn't matter how long that engine has been in that "classic'...… if all the smog goodies are there for that engine of that year, you're ok, if not, well, been there and done that back in the late 70's in Ca

Old 05-01-2021, 12:14 AM
saTsa
New User
Hello, today my f150 eco boost 3.5L did the same thing that happen to your truck, I stopped and filled up with gas and immediately after I got the same codes as you. Can you please tell what your out come was?

thank you and hope you are staying safe

Sayaz