2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Rough Country 8 “ led grill lights

Old 01-07-2019, 10:00 AM
Readgriff
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Rough Country 8 “ led grill lights

Has anyone installed these in there 2017 Lariat Super Duty Rough Country 8” LED Grill Light Bars $149.00
How do they light up the road?
Thanks

Old 01-07-2019, 11:11 AM
BIGDOG1974
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Rigid’s have 2x the lumens and real mounting brackets .

Old 01-07-2019, 11:14 AM
12Farmer
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
True, but they are WAY more expensive. They do look good though BIGDOG.

Last edited by 12Farmer; 01-07-2019 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Added text
Old 01-07-2019, 11:19 AM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Readgriff
Has anyone installed these in there 2017 Lariat Super Duty Rough Country 8” LED Grill Light Bars $149.00
How do they light up the road?
Thanks
I just completed my install about a week ago, after completing the installation of my factory upfitter switches. Pics below. I like them a lot and have already received many complements about how clean the install looks. I did pay the obnoxious price ($50) for the Ford Lariat specific brackets but it does make installing into the tight space and future adjustments easier. You do have to modify the grill a tiny bit, making about a half inch notch on each side of the blue oval. This was super easy to do with a Dremel and appropriate cutting bit - it's a bit tight getting in there and I had success with a straight cutting bit. Take your time, only cut what you need, and you can't even tell it's been cut after installation is completed.

The lights are very bright (6,400 lumens for the pair) and I'm pleased; however, they don't throw quite as far as I expected. Oh darn - now I have to install more lights. They are 'semi-spots' and in all fairness, mine are currently adjusted a bit too low. The wife and everyone who's seen how much light they generate has been very impressed. All around, I give these lights a 9/10 for ease of installation, super clean "factory installed" look, and light output. I'd give them a 10 if they threw a little farther.

Hope this helps you and future folks considering these lights. They're pretty great for the price!

Old 01-07-2019, 11:54 AM
Zchludil
Mountain Pass
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

I installed the Rough Country grille lights about 3 weeks ago. Installation was fairly simple. I am very pleased with the cleanness of how they look and the output of them, not to mention the price. I think mine are adjusted a little too low, but even with how they are adjusted now, they cover up all of the output of my halogen headlights.

Old 01-07-2019, 12:23 PM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I mocked up some KC HiLites Flex 10" LED lights in my grill for a test fit. They do fit but don't offer a vehicle specific mounting kit. Looked like all they needed was an L bracket to mount to the grill. They put out more light than the Rigid SR series. Don't be fooled by raw lumens, that's light measured right at the source, you want to know how much is projected forward. The Rigid 10" SR only has 593 Lux @ 10M while the KC Flex has 1150 Lux @ 10M. You can change the trim ring color to match your truck.

Old 01-07-2019, 02:40 PM
Wayne64SS
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
lol bro those KC's are $500 for one 10" light. That's just ****ing silly.

Old 01-07-2019, 03:03 PM
Kdawg89
Senior User
I have installed them and I really like them, mine light up the sides of the road very well which is what I wanted. The install kind of sucks, but they are worth it, especially for the price!

Old 01-07-2019, 03:04 PM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Turbo Dog
I mocked up some KC HiLites Flex 10" LED lights in my grill for a test fit. They do fit but don't offer a vehicle specific mounting kit. Looked like all they needed was an L bracket to mount to the grill. They put out more light than the Rigid SR series. Don't be fooled by raw lumens, that's light measured right at the source, you want to know how much is projected forward. The Rigid 10" SR only has 593 Lux @ 10M while the KC Flex has 1150 Lux @ 10M. You can change the trim ring color to match your truck.

You are correct here. Do not pay attention to the folks who have no idea what they are talking about.

Old 01-07-2019, 03:09 PM
Readgriff
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Big dog
What ridged ,lights do you have installed and how much were they?

Old 01-07-2019, 03:16 PM
Kdawg89
Senior User
Originally Posted by Busa 1 Dave
You are correct here. Do not pay attention to the folks who have no idea what they are talking about.
I don't think it is a case of "folks not knowing what they are talking about". Those are just super expensive lights, I am sure they are fantastic, but are they nearly 10X as fantastic as the rough countries? Doubt it, but I guess that depend on how much you want to spend on it.

Old 01-07-2019, 03:54 PM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Readgriff
Big dog
What ridged ,lights do you have installed and how much were they?
Are you asking me? I don't have any Rigid lights. KC HiLites is part sponsor on a Class 11 off road car run by my cousins and I. I can get you a much lower price on those lights, or any of their lights, if you are interested. I had a set of 4 of their 8" HID lights on the front on a custom made bar but it makes the truck so long that I can't walk around it in the little garage I currently have. I am building a bigger one, but it isn't going to be used for daily parking. That is why I am looking into mounting the KC Flex 10" in the grill. Here are the HID's on the 2017 F250 I traded in:

Old 01-07-2019, 05:03 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Unfortunately, thieves up here chop lights like that off a truck in the span of about 1.5 minutes.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:10 PM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Kdawg89
I don't think it is a case of "folks not knowing what they are talking about". Those are just super expensive lights, I am sure they are fantastic, but are they nearly 10X as fantastic as the rough countries? Doubt it, but I guess that depend on how much you want to spend on it.
No it is about performance period. Lights specifically LED CAN have great beam patterns as well as a lot of heat! High performance lights have to be built orders of magnitude to a higher standard to withstand this. It is not just the heat sinks you see on the outside. I have flashlights that produce over 60k (will light a match after 5 or so seconds) lumens and are among the most powerful and utilize technology to make them the best for the task on the planet. Many will not but I have flashlights that cost more than the KC light bar in question and makes better usable light for a short time because of heat generation.

It boils down to how much performance do you want and are willing to pay for. I have been playing with super high output led lights for 20 years.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:38 PM
Turbo Dog
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Alaskan_Warbird
Unfortunately, thieves up here chop lights like that off a truck in the span of about 1.5 minutes.
I suppose as many of you up there are armed as we are here in WY...but I was going to weld a bar across the nuts if it was going to stay on the truck. Because, yes, otherwise it would be easy to remove. Where I live there are more cows than people and the cows don't seem interested in my lights. But that's a completely different story when we are racing in southern NV.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rough Country 8 “ led grill lights