1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

84 f150 AOD TV Rod adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 08:12 AM
Odisvan
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
84 f150 AOD TV Rod adjustment

Ok, I’m making good progress on my 84, but my trans shifts very late and very hard. I have to get it up to about 16 or so in first and ease off throttle to finally get 2nd gear, and so on. I don’t know if I have overdrive because I literally cannot force myself to drive it in 3rd revving so high hoping a shift into overdrive may occur.
ive ran searches and can’t locate good info or YouTube video showing how to adjust pressure on the stock tv
ROD. I’ve changed fluid and filter and old filter and pan looked pretty good. It has 91k original miles old man truck sat up a ton. Thanks if you can help?

Old 12-30-2018, 08:19 AM
Franklin2
Received 1,661 Likes on 1,343 Posts
Make the rod effectively longer a little at a time till it shifts correctly. Stay a little on the late and firm side, and you should be fine.

Old 12-30-2018, 09:55 AM
Odisvan
Elder User
Back from under paw paw truck. The smooth portion at bottom, is all the way upward as it can go without climbing threads. There is near 1.5” smooth rod at bottom and only threaded portion above fastener. So, then, he had the rod as mechanically short as possible.

About how much rod would be exposed below fastener on normal adjusted AOD? I’m going to loosen the fastener and “make the rod a tad longer” at a time anyhow, Franklin, But just for curiosity? Thank you and will post final resolution Odis.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:23 AM
Old Hickory
Laughing Gas
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
You don't mention which engine you have in the truck. If it's the 302, the stock carburetor has a screw that can be adjusted

for fine tuning the transmission. If it's a 4.9 6 cylinder I think the stock carb should have a similar type of adjustment on it.

If you have changed to some other carburetor you will have to do a lot of engineering to get it right.

Old 12-30-2018, 10:48 AM
Odisvan
Elder User
Sorry, 5.0 with AOD and stock 2 barrel carb. I don’t see any adjustment at top of carb at rod, or I don’t know what I’m looking for then, I should say. I do see easy adjustment at bottom. First throttle valve rod I’ve ever touched though, so I’m a babe crawling and fumbling....I admit....

Old 12-30-2018, 11:48 AM
Odisvan
Elder User
Let me correct. I stated wrong when I said mine was adjusted all way up til it hit threaded portion, what I couldn’t see was what I though was threaded was a SPRING. As I said I’m fumbling.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:27 PM
Odisvan
Elder User
Yippee, I am fixed for now��
so, what I did was pulled downward on tv rod from under truck while pushing fastener up against spring above it. I now have firm positive shifts without real high revving except overdrive. Is it based on rpm or speed because no matter what it won’t go into overdrive any lower than like 50 or 52. I’d like overdrive to engage more like 40 mph under light throttle. I might try and adjust some more to see if I can get overdrive to come in sooner, but I’m pretty happy with low speed drive ability now.

Old 12-30-2018, 12:31 PM
Old Hickory
Laughing Gas
Odisvan, if it is indeed the stock Motorcraft 2150, it should have an adjustment screw where the rod is attached to the carb.

If yours doesn't have this screw adjustment on it it is not the stock cab. the truck came with. Where on your carb is the rod

connected to the carb?

Old 12-30-2018, 01:09 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,661 Likes on 1,343 Posts
Here's a link with a little more info. Looks like all you need is a pressure gauge and some fittings to get it dead on.

https://www.becontrols.com/tvlinkage.shtml

Old 12-30-2018, 02:06 PM
Odisvan
Elder User
Franklin thanks so much, I will proceed at update thread at some future point after I’ve found a pressure gauge. I guess I could use an oil pressure gauge to check that snaking the plastic line up through my missing rear floor pan body rubber plugs. Old Hickory I don’t know if it is or isn’t stock. It’s a regular 2 barrel on an 84. It’s got several things plugged off and no seeming noticeable idle rpm screw either. But it looks just like a regular c6 kickdown but it’s an AOD. I just drove it and it’ll go into overdrive fine at about 50, which is higher than I’d prefer. I will see if I can figure how to post a carb pic but I’m an old goober, so modern stuff doesn’t flow easy. Thanks for you guys comments

Old 12-30-2018, 02:18 PM
Odisvan
Elder User
In the meantime while I learn how to post a pic, the carb tag reads E4TE. Below that is AKA. Next line down is 8 3M 5. Motorcraft 2 barrel. Has a little teapot looking vent thing on front top. Has an elec connector that used to hook to ac comp to active solenoid to raise idle I guess, but that’s disconnected as ac compressor removed prior to me. Other than that solenoid, danged if I see adjustments to speak of. To get idle a little higher there is an electrical clip, roach clip as they were called when Bill didn’t inhale, to prevent super low idle.
i think this truck was revamped with duraspark 2 by prior owner as many of the colorful vacuum tubes have been cut, and some things capped. So may be it’s not right carb, it might be off who know what.

Old 12-30-2018, 05:41 PM
Old Hickory
Laughing Gas
If you have a carb like you described. Be careful with it. A C6 or C4 kickdown connection isn't the best place to hook up

the AOD rod. It can work but figure out a way to get it to travel with the throttle opening motion. The adjustment on the

transmission side of the rod is for rough type adjustment of the rod. I have an original carb off or an AOD equipped

truck and it does have the adjustment rod hookup on the throttle side of the carb It is not an idle adjustment screw.

Good luck with yours, you can make it work like you are trying to do. But it won't shift real smooth like it should.

Old 12-31-2018, 01:22 PM
Odisvan
Elder User
My mistake. I see a small set screw with flat head screwdriver slot. It’s closest this tv control rod on my 84 302 two barrel carb. Then there is a larger bolt toward front of pass side that looks to adjust the elec solenoid that’s supposed to be hooked to compressor to raise idle if ac on? Compressor missing but that’s what I assume that solenoid or dashpot or whatever it’s called. I took 2 pHotos of my carb and tree to put in my photo album will try to post them now.

Old 12-31-2018, 01:26 PM
Odisvan
Elder User
So, if I knew how to rig up manual choke cable, adjust idle speed, and tv control rod, I’d be in business with this carb. It works now but it could use idle increase and choke. For now run to store for temp sending unit to have functional temp gauge. Happy New Years to all and thanks again.

Old 12-31-2018, 01:45 PM
Odisvan
Elder User
And I’m thrilled someone as lame at computers as me can learn to post photos.

Quick Reply: 84 f150 AOD TV Rod adjustment