3.0L Powerstroke Diesel Discuss the forthcoming 3.0L V6 Ford diesel in the F150

Any 3.0L Owner Feedback?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 01:25 PM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Any 3.0L Owner Feedback?

Just curious about what some owners are experiencing, and if they are happy. Mileage reports would be helpful.
Thanks.

Old 12-18-2018, 05:11 PM
starshockey
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I like mine about 22-22.5 mostly city driving. I am felling like an idiot right now as I have the oil and filter for my first change, I change mine at 1K and then follow the oil life monitor after that, and for the life of me I cannot find the drain plug. Lots of plates and a fabric covered cover under there and I would think one would not have to remove one or the other just to change the dang oil.

Old 12-18-2018, 11:47 PM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by starshockey
I like mine about 22-22.5 mostly city driving. I am felling like an idiot right now as I have the oil and filter for my first change, I change mine at 1K and then follow the oil life monitor after that, and for the life of me I cannot find the drain plug. Lots of plates and a fabric covered cover under there and I would think one would not have to remove one or the other just to change the dang oil.
If the hard fabric shield is like my 2016 EcoBoost was, you'll need to pull out 4 bolts, to access the plug. It is likely higher up than you'd expect, and on the side of the engine pan. Thanks for the feedback. What were your reasons to go diesel over the EcoBoost or 5.0L?

Old 12-19-2018, 07:51 AM
starshockey
4wd High
Thanks for the tip.

Old 12-22-2018, 07:56 PM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
So I drove a loaded Lariat with the 3.0L last night. All I can say is SWEEEEEEET! During the trip I took, which wasn't any 50 miler, the mpg's seemed to keep climbing. Before I took it back, it was at 32.7mpg. My 2018 5.0L when just fueled, will climb and steady off, but not drop unless I change my driving habit, so I'm pretty confident for my type of driving, 30+ mpg would easily be attainable.
It certainly wasn't a dog. Not an EcoBoost, but not an old inline six. I found nothing unpleasant in the pickup department, and when I tow, I take off my racing hat and drive easy.
After driving diesel Super Duties for about 19 years, I really like the smooth ride, smooth diesel, but the rumble and whistle of a smoker. If it really picks up 10-15mpg, it'd be a no-brainer for me still driving high mileage. To assume a Super Duty would be a better choice at 17mpg and the lumber wagon ride for quite a few bills more, would not hold any weight for my use. I've driven diesels too long. The F150 diesel is just a different and welcomed animal in my book. I'll never tow 13k, and now that the DW and I will likely camp in a lighter mom and pop unit, I could see this new 3.0L being a perfect fit.

Old 12-23-2018, 08:09 AM
timsexcursion
Cross-Country
I love mine! Getting 23 mpg around town with 600 miles on the odometer. I am not driving conservatively...too much fun with the crazy acceleration. Every stop light is an adventure.

Old 12-24-2018, 08:21 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
We just bought our F150 Platinum with the diesel 2 days ago. I really wanted a 6 1/2 foot bed but we settled for the 5 1/2 ft bed. Yesterday I was looking underneath to see where to change the filter and oil and I couldn't find the drain plug or the filter. I was hoping there would be a youtube video but couldn't find that either.
As for the mpg I drove mine from Kissimmee Florida to Panama City Florida (400 mile trip) and averaged 21 mpg and the truck has a 6" lift with 35" tires. The dealer had the lift kit installed so the suspension is covered under warranty. I love it so far. This truck is my wife's xmas present so she will be driving it everyday.
Also we got the A Plan pricing because we lost 3 vehicles thanks to hurricane Michael.

Old 12-24-2018, 08:23 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
I forgot to add a pic.

Attached Images  
Old 12-25-2018, 07:10 AM
starshockey
4wd High
Here is my writeup on my first oil change experience. The oil filter sits on top of the engine. It is not a spin on but a filter inside of a canister. See below.

I have done my first and here are some notes. This was the biggest PITA oil change I have ever done in my life. Below is why.

Oil and Filter: Had to get from my dealer none of the auto parts stores had the filter or "F-150 diesel oil" even in their computer system. Diesel filters online has the filter for about 1/2 the cost as my dealer for reference.

There is a what I will call a fabric covered piece underneath that has to come all the way down. 4 5/16 bolts and a 11/16 bolt head from memory. The drain plug, 15mm is easiest accessed from the driver side. It is silver in color and looks like a typical drain plug. I did read that others with gas engines complained that once the oil started to trickle it would run back towards the front of the truck due to a galvanized plate that is just in front of the drain plug and drip through the holes in said plate. To combat this I tried to make a channel with foil to make it run in the drain pan which failed.

The oil filter is under the black powerstroke shroud on top of the engine and is held in place by a ball and knuckle type fastener. They are located in the front corners. Just pull up and they will come loose. The back portion fits into some U shaped clips. When you get the front loose just pull forward and it will come all the way out.

Oil filter cap. If you do not have one, buy a 1 1/4" socket for this. There was not much oil left in the canister when I got the cap all the way loose. I think there is a check valve in there that holds the oil until the cap is loosened and then it drains back to the pan. Note, leave the drain plug out until the old filer is removed. The filter is snug in the cap and you have to give it a pretty good jerk to get it loose. The new filter snaps into place so it is secure when you re-install. Do not forget to replace the o ring on the cap. The cap torques to 18 ft/lbs. I had to call everyone but Edsel Ford to find this out. Not even my dealer could tell me.....

With the cap back on and drain plug in 6.5 quarts of new oil went in. It appears to me 5W-30 is preferred by Ford as that is all my dealer had. I could get by with 10W-30 since I am in Texas.

I call it a PITA due to the piece that has to be removed to get to the drain plug. I have never had a vehicle that you had to remove something to change the oil.

Feel free to ask questions and I will try to answer.

Old 12-25-2018, 08:11 AM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
***Deleted. Duplicate***

Old 12-25-2018, 08:12 AM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Like I stated below, my 2016 EcoBoost had the stupid fiber-like cover underneath. I installed a Fumoto valve with snap-on hose and made it a quick change with no mess. Check out Fumoto. Never remove the cover below again.

ON EDIT: Fumoto has no valve. Maybe worth a call. Would Form a Funnel work? Foil is so flimsy.

Old 12-25-2018, 08:15 AM
starshockey
4wd High
Originally Posted by smokewagun
Like I stated below, my 2016 EcoBoost had the stupid fiber-like cover underneath. I installed a Fumoto valve with snap-on hose and made it a quick change with no mess. Check out Fumoto. Never remove the cover below again.
They do not have one for the 3.0 diesel as of right now according to their website.

Old 12-25-2018, 08:26 AM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Well, they'd better get one in the works. We dropped my sons truck off for some work and test drove the 3.0L again. I really like it a lot. No EcoBoost, but just an overall pleasure. Love the rumble and whistle. Then, watching the mpg grow to almost 30mpg was the real star of the show. Never came close to that in my last 3.5L.

Old 12-29-2018, 09:12 AM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Pitcrw6
I forgot to add a pic.
Nice truck. Sharp wheels. Some day, I'll have a slightly lifted truck. Seems my bucket has a few holes, and someday just keeps falling through. If I order a 3.0L in fall, it's either Agate or Ruby.

Old 12-29-2018, 02:06 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
When you bought your truck did you get a separate owners manual for the 3.0 diesel engine? I know the regular owners manual has some diesel stuff in it but they usually have a separate one for diesel. When I bought my two 7.3 diesels back in 02 they each came with a separate diesel owners manual.

Quick Reply: Any 3.0L Owner Feedback?