2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Dropped My Order - The Wait Begins

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 04:30 AM
kry226
Fleet Mechanic
Received 385 Likes on 215 Posts
Dropped My Order - The Wait Begins

Never been a Ford man. In fact, I grew up listening to my mechanic Dad cuss Fords all day long in the shop he ran. But I'm not a brand loyal fan boy to any make or model and always try to give each prospective truck its day in court. Then I came home for a few weeks of vacation and had to rent a truck for use on my small farm- which just so happened to be a new 2017 F250 6.7 XLT. Court was in session. The truck wasn't perfect or built to my specs, but I was impressed. When I returned home, I began planning for/researching the truck I would eventually buy upon my return to the States. Based on my experience with the rental F250, I started lurking around various forums and found FTE- and have been here ever since. Two years later, I just dropped my first ever custom order on my first ever Ford. I hope it will be a long, fruitful relationship. Here's my build on a well-optioned 2019 F250 XLT Premium 4x4 CCLB 6.2/4.30. Ended up splitting the holdback and got out-the-door (including TT&L) for around invoice. The wait begins - should pick it up mid-March. I'll definitely report back and give it a full evaluation.

F250 4X4 CREW CAB PICKUP/176
176 INCH WHEELBASE
INGOT SILVER METALLIC
CLOTH 40/CONSOLE/40 SEAT
MEDIUM EARTH GRAY
PREFERRED EQUIPMENT PKG.603A
.XLT TRIM
.TRAILER TOWING PACKAGE
.AM/FM STEREO MP3/CLK
.6.2L EFI V-8 ENGINE
6-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANS G
LT275/70R18E BSW ALL TERRAIN
4.30 ELECTRONIC-LOCKING AXLE
JOB #1 ORDER
TEXAS/OKLAHOMA EDITION
FLOOR MAT IN LIEU OF CARPET
CHROME PACKAGE
XLT PREMIUM PACKAGE
.6" ANGULAR CHROME STEP BAR
.FOG LAMPS
.ADJUSTABLE GAS/BRAKE PEDAL
.CHROME PVD ALUMINUM WHEELS-18"
.REVERSE VEHICLE AID SENSOR
.HEATED FRONT SEATS
.8-WAY POWER SEAT-DRIVER
.SYNC 3 VOICE ACTIVATED SYSTEMS
FX4 OFF-ROAD PACKAGE
.SKID PLATES
10000# GVWR PACKAGE
NAVIGATION SYSTEM
HD SATELLITE DIGITAL BROADCAST
ENGINE BLOCK HEATER
50 STATE EMISSIONS
BACKGLASS DEFROST
110V/400W OUTLET
CAMPER PACKAGE
SPARE TIRE AND WHEEL
5TH WHEEL HITCH PREP PACKAGE
POWERSCOPE TRAILER TOW MIRROR
JACK
WHEEL WELL LINERS FRONT & REAR
SPLASH GUARDS - FRONT
SPLASH GUARDS - REAR
LED BOX LIGHTING
UPFITTER SWITCHES
EXTRA EXTRA HEAVY DUTY ALTRNTR
REMOTE START SYSTEM
MEDIUM DUTY BATTERY
ULTIMATE TRAILER TOW CAMERA
FUEL CHARGE
PRICED DORA
DESTINATION & DELIVERY

Old 12-17-2018, 04:40 AM
tibadoe
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Congrats on your order -- the wait definitely begins.

Old 12-17-2018, 01:19 PM
RainDesert
Cargo Master
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Well, now we can finally congratulate you! Hanging around here for the last 2 years has steered you so a solid choice! Enjoy your new truck and CONGRATULATIONS!

Old 12-17-2018, 03:23 PM
kry226
Fleet Mechanic
Thanks, guys! I'm glad the searching, researching and dealer hounding is over. Now I get to just worry about being excited. I haven't owned a truck in almost three years. It's almost like getting my man card back.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:34 PM
jswineford
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Double check your sticker as soon as its available. Mine got built with 3.73's instead of 4.30's.Dealer re-ordered immediately, but it added another month to my wait. Ordered on 11/8 and the incorrect build is scheduled to deliver 12/26. hopefully the new order goes as quickly.

Old 12-17-2018, 11:41 PM
kry226
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by jswineford
Double check your sticker as soon as its available. Mine got built with 3.73's instead of 4.30's.Dealer re-ordered immediately, but it added another month to my wait. Ordered on 11/8 and the incorrect build is scheduled to deliver 12/26. hopefully the new order goes as quickly.
Thanks for the tip!

I did just find out that Ford isn't scheduling orders on 20 or 27 December due to the holidays. Next order scheduling will occur on Jan 3rd. Oh, the wait...

Old 12-20-2018, 09:40 AM
RandyinTN
Laughing Gas
Received 314 Likes on 151 Posts
It might be built faster than you think. My order went in Nov 20th and it is already built and is awaiting transportation.

Old 12-20-2018, 11:09 AM
kry226
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by RandyinTN
It might be built faster than you think. My order went in Nov 20th and it is already built and is awaiting transportation.
Thanks. I hope so, but it looks like I waited one day too late to order. Put the order in last Friday expecting Ford to pick it up order today, only to find out that Ford will not schedule orders today or next Thursday the 27th due to the holidays. I knew the factory shuts down this time of year, but I thought I still had time to get it in. The next scheduling isn't until Jan 3rd which means I lost just under three weeks of build time (not really, but feels like it). I think I'm still OK with my timing and when I need to pick up the truck, but it will be close. The shipping threads kind of make me nervous. Oh well... Good Lord willin' and the creek don't rise, I'll have the truck mid-March.

Old 12-20-2018, 02:07 PM
82_F100_300Six
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
so no Ram.......

Old 12-20-2018, 02:52 PM
Darkside18
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds identical to my 18 congratulations!!

Old 12-20-2018, 03:59 PM
kry226
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by 82_F100_300Six
so no Ram.......
I was actually looking at a new 2018 Ram. Heck I could have gotten a similarly equipped 2500 Big Horn with the Cummins for less than I'm paying for this F250 gasser. Looking at it one way, I think to myself that I'm crazy. Looking at it another way, I think it's one of my smarter moves.

Originally Posted by Darkside18
Sounds identical to my 18 congratulations!!

Thanks!

Old 12-20-2018, 08:08 PM
ncl
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kry226
I was actually looking at a new 2018 Ram. Heck I could have gotten a similarly equipped 2500 Big Horn with the Cummins for less than I'm paying for this F250 gasser. Looking at it one way, I think to myself that I'm crazy. Looking at it another way, I think it's one of my smarter moves.

Thanks!
I went through the same thing. I traded a 2015 Ram 6.4, 4.10 geared in on my ordered 6.2 ford 4.30. I could have landed a nicely equipped tradesman Cummins for cheaper than my xlt. In the end I really didnt care for the Ram overall and felt the Ford was a better truck as a whole even going gas vs Cummins. And with gas being 90 cents a gallon cheaper right now is even better. Just filled up tonight with Kroger points. 37.5 gallons of fuel for under 50 bucks!

Old 12-20-2018, 10:28 PM
kry226
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by ncl
I went through the same thing. I traded a 2015 Ram 6.4, 4.10 geared in on my ordered 6.2 ford 4.30. I could have landed a nicely equipped tradesman Cummins for cheaper than my xlt. In the end I really didnt care for the Ram overall and felt the Ford was a better truck as a whole even going gas vs Cummins. And with gas being 90 cents a gallon cheaper right now is even better. Just filled up tonight with Kroger points. 37.5 gallons of fuel for under 50 bucks!
Absolutely. My 04 Cummins was a great engine/truck that provided 12 years of extremely reliable service. I loved it. But I am very much looking forward to a "gas, oil, tires" kind of truck. What I've found is that the older I get, especially with my current job, the more valuable my time is. I love tooling on my vehicles and I have always done all of the required maintenance- saved myself tens of thousands of dollars over the years. But even on something as simple as a 3rd gen Cummins, the maintenance time and money adds up, not to mention the added stress of ensuring (hoping?) you can make it to the next high-volume diesel pump while traveling. Ready for the easier, cheaper gasser life.

Old 12-21-2018, 11:06 AM
River Wild
Fleet Mechanic
Received 270 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by kry226
Same here. I looked around and a tradesmen with the Cummins was less money for sure..like $6K less. I test drove a Ram and a Ford back to back (gassers) and just couldn't make the leap to the Ram. It was ok and could have lived with it but I've always bought used and lived with it so this time I wanted to order a rig the way I wanted it. I don't "need" the diesel and certainly didn't want the maintenance nor the other headaches once it was out of warranty. The 6.2 does what I need it to do. After a year and half and I have no regrets and still love the truck. The $34 oil changes are the bomb!

The wait isn't too bad unless you not the patient sort. I think for mine it was 9 weeks from order at the dealership to delivery at the dealership. Ended up I was out of town when it arrived so another week and a half went by before I picked it up. Sales guy was nice enough to harass me with photos when it arrived knowing I was gone. haha.

Old 12-21-2018, 10:04 PM
kry226
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by River Wild
Same here. I looked around and a tradesmen with the Cummins was less money for sure..like $6K less. I test drove a Ram and a Ford back to back (gassers) and just couldn't make the leap to the Ram. It was ok and could have lived with it but I've always bought used and lived with it so this time I wanted to order a rig the way I wanted it. I don't "need" the diesel and certainly didn't want the maintenance nor the other headaches once it was out of warranty. The 6.2 does what I need it to do. After a year and half and I have no regrets and still love the truck. The $34 oil changes are the bomb!

The wait isn't too bad unless you not the patient sort. I think for mine it was 9 weeks from order at the dealership to delivery at the dealership. Ended up I was out of town when it arrived so another week and a half went by before I picked it up. Sales guy was nice enough to harass me with photos when it arrived knowing I was gone. haha.
Yeah, apples to apples, I feel the Ford is the better overall truck. But there are some things I like better about the Ram (UConnect 8.4, gauge cluster, heated steering wheel, buttons to turn off parking sensors, etc.) and some things I like better in the Ford (cab size, 360 degree cameras, 48 gal fuel tank, gears, etc.). I will also say that the FLT videos of the Ford 6.2/3.73 truck doing what the Ram 6.4/4.10 truck couldn't do on the Ike were very interesting. So, not being a brand loyal fanboy, I think I'm going to give the Ford a go this time. I only hope the value is commensurate with the price.

As far as delivery goes, I think I'm still in good shape. I'm probably not the most patient fella in the world, but I'm still in Germany which has its own way of managing my patience. There's a two week window in late March/early April when I'll be back in the U.S. and I hope to take delivery then. I'll store the truck with family, head back to Germany and return to the States permanently a couple of weeks later. I'll keep the thread updated as we go along.

Quick Reply: Dropped My Order - The Wait Begins