2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Truck Power Washing

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 03:18 PM
Haftahunt
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck Power Washing

I looked at a few threads about washing. About to get a power washer and a foam cannon and was wanting an update on which soap and cannon you guys are using. Also what psi and gpm should I purchase?? I got a 2019 Blue Jeans Platinum and wanna try and keep it clean without swirling it up! Always had white and never cared, but this one is gonna show dirt pretty bad! Thanks!

Old 12-16-2018, 03:22 PM
briangp
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
As a small time detailer, and owner of a black truck.... this just doesn't sound like a good idea. Just make sure to hose the dirt off with the water hose before you touch it with a wash mitt until then. I am curious to hear others input on this though.

Old 12-16-2018, 03:30 PM
claf
Mountain Pass
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Check on Youtube for a channel called Obsessed Garage, this is an active topic right now.

Old 12-16-2018, 03:41 PM
Ben Elliott
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I’ve evloved over the past few years with washing my trucks as well after seeing what regular “hand” washing can do to a black truck.

So so now I do my own

I have an electric 1800 or 1900 electric pressure washer from Costco. Works great. I have a foam cannon- just get one with good reviews on amazon

use the 2 bucket system both with grit guards for the bottom.

1 bucket is for the soap and mit- the other is to dump your mitt on occasionally to get the dirt off the mitt and re lather in the soap bucket.

I wash my wheels first In A 3rd bucket to keep the brake dust ect from getting on the paint

then i uses a chemical guys XL towel to dry off- however if you have a nice leaf blower that helps keep even more chances of swirl marks appearing.

Old 12-16-2018, 04:29 PM
acadianbob
Cargo Master
Received 531 Likes on 300 Posts
My neighbor took the paint right off of his Silverado with a power washer . . . .

Old 12-16-2018, 06:48 PM
fortheford
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have power washed cars/trucks/SUVs but you have to use common sense. You aren't trying to get right up on the paint and blast it. Stand back, at least 2' from nozzle to surface. Most of the washers will have a nozzle tip that turns the stream into more of a "fan" and that's what you want to use. Also not really needed every time you wash your truck - more important is using the two bucket system (one for clean water & suds, one for dirty/rinse), a clean microfiber washing mitt, and a very very clean microfiber drying towel.

For a foam cannon, I generally only use that when I'm doing something like a "degrease" clean (like with Dawn) before proceeding with a hand wash and then paint seal, wax, etc. Otherwise the foam cannon really doesn't "clean" much and you end up having to wash by hand anyway.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:04 PM
RONMCHUGH
Romcjr

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
I have a 1900 psi washer and foam cannon from chemical guys as well as the soap . I also use two bucket method , but I blow dry vs. toweling dry . I also have a de-ionizing system as my well water is very hard .

Old 12-16-2018, 07:08 PM
BGMSPD
Laughing Gas
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
I only wash my truck with a power washer, although my truck is ceramic coated. I use a bunch of Chemical Guys products, take a look at their video which gives you a pretty good breakdown on the best way to keep swirls to a minimum.

My pressure washer came from Northern Tool. https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...7872_200347872

Old 12-16-2018, 07:12 PM
Sunnyside42
Senior User
Originally Posted by Ben Elliott
I’ve evloved over the past few years with washing my trucks as well after seeing what regular “hand” washing can do to a black truck.

So so now I do my own

I have an electric 1800 or 1900 electric pressure washer from Costco. Works great. I have a foam cannon- just get one with good reviews on amazon

1 bucket is for the soap and mit- the other is to dump your mitt on occasionally to get the dirt off the mitt and re lather in the soap bucket.

I wash my wheels first In A 3rd bucket to keep the brake dust ect from getting on the paint

then i uses a chemical guys XL towel to dry off- however if you have a nice leaf blower that helps keep even more chances of swirl marks appearing.
I do most all of the same steps, except I save my tires & wheels for last. My next "investment" will be a water de-ionizer to help eliminate spots.

Old 12-17-2018, 04:36 AM
JeepPuller
Fleet Mechanic
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Ben Elliott

So so now I do my own

This^^^^^

Old 12-17-2018, 06:05 AM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,736 Likes on 1,329 Posts
Sorry I can't help much with the foam cannon (I don't use one as I think they are a waste of money), but I use the 2-bucket method with the microfiber wash mitt from Walmart, and a Chemical Guys soap. I don't dry it, as my well water is perfect...leaves no spots or residue. My Blue Jeans truck comes out just as shiny as when it left the dealer!

Old 12-17-2018, 08:22 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,677 Likes on 2,745 Posts
I have a foam cannon but I don't use it much anymore. My power washer has a soap tank that uses the same thick soap as the foam cannon. It's way easier to use the power washer than the foam cannon. Either way, I get foamy soap on the vehicle.

But mostly I take my F-350 through the car wash. It does a good job.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:37 AM
JimmyRocket
5th Wheeling
I have an electric power washer (sunjoe or something like that) that does a good job overall. However after washing my 2017 F150 Platinum once per week with the power washer and mostly drying by hand and also using the leaf blower, it became a bit time consuming and tiresome so I ended up getting a membership to my local car wash. I ran the F150 through the car wash at least once per week for the past 16 months (so minimum 64 times) and the paint still looks as shinny and new as when I bought it. It’s not a “touchless” car wash, however it’s not the old style plastic bristles that leave swirl marks on the paint. I traded in the F150 about 2-ish weeks ago and got a 2019 F350 Platinum. I have ran the F350 through the car wash 2-3 times so far and it has done a great job every time. I value my truck and I value the paint and if I saw any adverse affects from the car wash I would go back to hand washing but for now, it’s pretty sweet driving home from work Friday evening and filling up with diesel from Costco and then driving through the car wash (located right next to Costco) and then driving home with a nice clean truck full of fuel and ready for the weekend. This is only my experience as I do understand everybody’s experience may be different.

Old 12-17-2018, 09:57 AM
whagen
Tuned
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
For some caked on dirt a power washer does a little better than a hose. The only real advantage I see from a power washer is you will use less water. Even with a 3500 psi power washer there is still a film of dirt left (maybe if used a different detergent or multiple I would get better results). Plus I think with a power washer you are more likely to get water into area that you don't want to. Two buckets and plenty of rinsing the wash mitt is the most effective. Also regular washing helps so it's not a build up weeks or months of dirt.

If you have hard water, treating it so it's soft will make washing and drying easier.

Old 12-18-2018, 03:06 PM
Busa 1 Dave
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ATC Crazy
Sorry I can't help much with the foam cannon (I don't use one as I think they are a waste of money), but I use the 2-bucket method with the microfiber wash mitt from Walmart, and a Chemical Guys soap. I don't dry it, as my well water is perfect...leaves no spots or residue. My Blue Jeans truck comes out just as shiny as when it left the dealer!
Well if you have the right equipment and chemicals they are certainly not. I have just about every tool and chemical that you can imagine for taking care of paint. I have custom painted vehicles and use the foam cannon religiously along with my CR Spotless water system . The 2 bucket method no good for me because drying takes place too fast plus using the right equipment still have a bucket and sheep's mitt but the foam is a pretreatment at least for me Most of the time sometimes no mitt is needed. When done fire up the Stihl BR 700 and less than 4 minutes there is not one tiny spec of water anywhere including wheels and aero parts on the vette for example. The only time a micro fiber touches (use 3 different types very plush for removing wax) my paint on the custom ones is to remove polish, sealant or wax

Takes longer to hook up all of the quick connects from the hose to the Yamaha Power Washer and the CR spotless system get the blower ready to go than it does to apply foam and rinse it of and blow it dry.... I use the big Bigfoot and the smaller Bigfoot by Rupes for my polishing and waxing duties. I even keep all swirls out of my paint on the truck--not covered up with a wax product carnauba or synthetic but driving on the ranch perfect paint is impossible to maintain. For some people like me --- I have to polish out my trucks every 4 months or so, then Pinnacle Black Diamond sealant followed by every month a application of Pinnacle Black Label Synergy Wax.

This is regimen is not for 99% of the folks here but 1% who like the finest finish obtainable then this is just a brief snippet of my products used and process.

Quick Reply: Truck Power Washing