Sponsored by: Moser

Tell me about DYNAMAT

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 10:02 AM
F-250 restorer
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 117 Posts
Tell me about DYNAMAT

My truck only had a small 2'x2' section of what looked like old carpet padding under the carpet. The cab floor is stripped bare and I was looking at dynamat to deaden the noise of the road, but there are many sizes and thicknesses. Can someone tell me what they found to work well, as well as how much to buy, sizes, etc. I have a standard size cab and wanted to insulate about 18" high on the rear wall too. Thanks.

Old 12-14-2018, 10:24 AM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by F-250 restorer
My truck only had a small 2'x2' section of what looked like old carpet padding under the carpet. The cab floor is stripped bare and I was looking at dynamat to deaden the noise of the road, but there are many sizes and thicknesses. Can someone tell me what they found to work well, as well as how much to buy, sizes, etc. I have a standard size cab and wanted to insulate about 18" high on the rear wall too. Thanks.
2X on this topic.

I've recently realized how much road noise I get into the cab without having any carpet or firewall insulation. I've seen several different brands of Dynamat / Second Skin / Lizard Skin / Herculiner ... the list goes on.

Subscribed to see what others say about sound deadening products.

Old 12-14-2018, 11:02 AM
TheMonson
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't know a ton about this, but this is what I have heard from a friend of mine that does know and have read on the internet. If anything you could use this to do further research or maybe somebody else can chime in if I'm wrong.

This stuff is apparently a lot cheaper than dynamat and does the same job - https://www.b-quiet.com/products/b-quiet-extreme-50sqft

The other mistake people apparently make is covering every square inch of metal with this stuff (for sound dampening, don't know about the insulating properties). The way I understand it is you're trying to dampen the resonance of the metal, if you tap an area and it resonates (think like a flat area) you only need to apply enough of this stuff to the area to dampen that sound so that subsequent taps are deadened IF that is what you're trying to accomplish. That said, I don't believe you're hurting anything by covering every inch it's just a waste of money.

Old 12-14-2018, 11:57 AM
TWISTER324
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I put this in my cab. Firewall down the floor and behind the seat. Covered it all with one box and reduces heat and sound.
Amazon Amazon

Old 12-14-2018, 01:25 PM
njdevil77
Tuned
Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts
I have done my '67 Fairlane. '66 Mustang & '77 F150 all floors, firewalls and doors, Total difference in road noise and heat. I used a cheaper version off of ebay, from what I am told they are all basically the same. Probably all made in the same factory and stamped with a different name, just like everything else. I can't see that spending $$$ on Dynamat will be that big of a difference.

Old 12-14-2018, 01:49 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
I ordered Summit's house-branded stuff... and it's a Boom Mat package that arrives.

Works great.. ya need to cover about 80 percent of the surface area to get adequate reduction of noise and vibration. i highly suggest applying the material to the roof, door skins, and floors. The back of the cab would be great but I still got an in-cab tank at the moment.

The thicker, the better.

Old 12-14-2018, 02:14 PM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by TWISTER324
I put this in my cab. Firewall down the floor and behind the seat. Covered it all with one box and reduces heat and sound.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00URUIKAK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Wow, that stuff is dirt cheap compared to other products.

Noticed that it's Amazon.ca that you gave the link to... you from north of the 49th?

EDIT: I could see one major drawback to using any of these products.... the self-adhesive would be darn near impossible to get back off the floor of the vehicle... particularly when it's butyl tape/adhesive that's used; that stuff is STICKY!

Old 12-14-2018, 08:37 PM
TWISTER324
Cross-Country
My link is a .com link and was so easy to install and cut

Old 12-14-2018, 09:44 PM
54Hydro
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Ignore the bowtie.

Old 12-14-2018, 11:37 PM
resonateur
Fleet Mechanic
Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
I have used both Dynamat and a similar house branded product. In my opinion, the Dyanamat was a far better material then the latter. Although I liked the "house" branded material, it did have a tendency to eventually lift off underside of surfaces, such as under the dash, after time subjected to heat and gravity. I have found that the Dynamat stuck tenaciously and with intimate contact to the metal and no tendency at all to lift off. Dynamat also contoured easily to irregular surfaces. I bought two large super bulk packs (2 x 4' sheets, I think) and used it everywhere I could think...under the dash, inside the doors, floor of the cab, back wall of the cab, quarter panels and roof. It is a very heavy material and after application, I can tap on the roof of the cab and barely get a "thud" sound....no resonance whatsoever. I even put it in the rear lower quarters and used those spaces to mount speakers. The Dynamat was certainly more expensive than some products, but I intended to do this project just once...as well as I could. Look at some of the reviews on the various products as well. Some have a tendency to weep a tar-like substance.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:13 AM
WentzMetalWorks
Junior User
Dynamat Xtreme

I used this kit. It works amazing. Easy to cut and easy to apply. X2 on not needing to cover the whole truck in the stuff. The kit was enough for the rear wall of the cab behind the fuel tank cut into 18" lengths and placed between the raised panels and one sheet inside of each door. I will probably buy another kit for the roof and firewall. I would rather buy the best available for this kind of thing and Dynamat is second to none.

Old 12-15-2018, 08:44 AM
john jamieson
Fleet Mechanic
Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts
There are similar roofing products to the self sticking aluminum/rubber materials

Old 12-15-2018, 10:07 AM
440 sixpack
Lead Driver
Received 1,538 Likes on 1,130 Posts
It works . period. Jeep pickups are known for being noisy tinny rattle traps so I put Hush Mat on the floor and on the roof panel and it's as quiet as any older rig could be.

Don't get hung up on the brand or thickness it's simply sticky crap with an aluminum backing none of them are rocket science.

One word of warning though , the edges of this stuff can be like a razor blades especially after you cut it. be very careful about running your hand along the edge.

Old 12-15-2018, 10:53 AM
fordguy2100
Cargo Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by 440 sixpack
It works . period. Jeep pickups are known for being noisy tinny rattle traps so I put Hush Mat on the floor and on the roof panel and it's as quiet as any older rig could be.

Don't get hung up on the brand or thickness it's simply sticky crap with an aluminum backing none of them are rocket science.

One word of warning though , the edges of this stuff can be like a razor blades especially after you cut it. be very careful about running your hand along the edge.
Did you learn that life lesson the hard way? lol good tip tho!

Old 12-15-2018, 10:55 AM
440 sixpack
Lead Driver
Received 1,538 Likes on 1,130 Posts
Yes I did. blood everywhere.

Quick Reply: Tell me about DYNAMAT