1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

wiring article for your critique

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2018, 08:18 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
wiring article for your critique

here's a article I did as I wired my truck. I'd appreciate you guys critiquing it and give me a heads up on additions, changes, omissions, and anything else you might find distracting or useful

thanks
j
https://jniolon.classicpickup.com/wiring/wiring.htm

Old 12-13-2018, 08:41 AM
EffieTrucker
Phantom of the Phorum

Received 859 Likes on 458 Posts
Nice article! As always.

It may not be a step-by-step, but close enough. A lot of food for thought there.

I just skimmed through it while waiting for some paint to dry. This won’t be my first wiring rodeo, but there are a lot of little details I will
be copying for sure. My EZwire 12/mini kit will be here today, according to UPS tracking.

Mine is near original, equipment wise. I’m glad I don’t have to deal with all those relays.

Old 12-13-2018, 09:59 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by EffieTrucker
... waiting for some paint to dry.
Party animal!

Old 12-13-2018, 11:13 AM
tip49
Cargo Master
Received 137 Likes on 77 Posts
Well John, you certainly don't do anything half fast; a lot of usefull information that should save others some heart ache.

I agree with the above critique, reading your article is preferred to watching paint dry. High praise indeed ! lol

I must say, sheepishly being an electrician that your wiring has me second quessing my install I used the donor harness and over time weeded out the wires going to components I eliminated . In hindsight I wish I had chosen a lower location for my fuse panel, and routed the main harness lower down throught the firewall.

The tip about using a small gas torch over solder gun is a good tip. I had a lot of splicing to do in the harness, based on my choices for mounting components and relays.

Yours is definitely a show quality truck, and going to be a head turner.

Old 12-13-2018, 02:51 PM
CBeav
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I've mentioned this before. There is a great site to learn all about about automotive electrical, for free - autoshop101.com. Professional automotive instructor takes you all the way from theory to practice.

Old 12-13-2018, 04:24 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
thanks for the link Beav.... bookmarked it for later

j

Old 12-13-2018, 05:36 PM
AZAV8
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
jniolon,
John, you mentioned in the article that you were looking for a horn. If you want an old Cadillac sounding horn try these four note horns from ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CADILLAC-DE...KJk2:rk:1:pf:0

I bought a set and they just shipped so I have not yet received them. I wanted a good sounding horn rather than the tinny, modern horns you can buy anywhere. The seller tells me you need to fuse them at 20 or 25 amps and you need to use a relay which he will supply. They are used and reconditioned. I will give you an update once I receive them and test them.

The article is your typical first class work. More tips and electrical help are available in the Ron Francis Wiring catalog as well.

Philip

Old 12-13-2018, 06:29 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
hey Phillip

that's what I'm leaning toward... train horns and all that's involved is just too much... and I don't have the room for them. I've been watching the Caddy horns on ebay... after Christmas !!!!!

j

Old 12-14-2018, 02:09 AM
TitusDH
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bookmarked your page for further reference.

Thank you very much for going through this for the rest of us to follow your path.

Wil

Old 12-14-2018, 12:36 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
John, I wire industrial machinery for a living. On any given project I can run over a thousand wires and I do my best to make everything nice and neat. You did an awesome job. I've rewired my truck from scratch, I have thousands of feet of wire of almost any color and size. My trucks don't look that good but I try to make them look as close to stock as possible and they weren't wired as pretty as yours.

Always look forward to your write ups.

Old 12-18-2018, 07:12 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
thanks for the high praise Bob. I've tried to follow some of the wiring on industrial equipment and it's difficult if not impossible without diagrams and wizardry... some mighty talented folks do that kind of work

j

Old 12-19-2018, 06:00 AM
cruisetopdown
Laughing Gas
Received 273 Likes on 109 Posts
Hi John, I might add a section for accessories like rear view cameras, etc. You could easily add the cables/wiring at this stage....
w

Old 12-19-2018, 12:58 PM
Mixer man
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up

I have done a lot of marine wiring up to 4160 kV, pulled miles of armored tray cable through bulkheads and wireways. I like to use tray cable wherever I can, it's a real time saver and looks great too. Sorry, I can't find anything wrong with your article. Nice work, you should but it in paperback.

Old 12-19-2018, 02:01 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by jniolon
thanks for the high praise Bob. I've tried to follow some of the wiring on industrial equipment and it's difficult if not impossible without diagrams and wizardry... some mighty talented folks do that kind of work

j
Even more fun when a piece of equipment has been in service for a while and components have been added with no documentation.😨

Old 12-19-2018, 02:57 PM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by jniolon
here's a article I did as I wired my truck. I'd appreciate you guys critiquing it and give me a heads up on additions, changes, omissions, and anything else you might find distracting or useful

thanks
j
https://jniolon.classicpickup.com/wiring/wiring.htm
REALLY NICE JOB on every aspect of your restoration!

73/Rick

Quick Reply: wiring article for your critique