1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 11:15 PM
JimScott
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electrical issues

I've never been very good at troubleshooting electrical problems. My 65 style side has come down with a gremlin. First my blinkers wouldn't blink. I replaced the relay and they worked for a bit and then quit again. Now, my dash lights are out and my dome light won't work. The head lights, tail lights and brake lights work fine. Any suggestions? Thanks guys!

Old 12-13-2018, 12:18 AM
Christmas
Cargo Master
Received 340 Likes on 266 Posts
Well the dome light? The dome light runs through the light switch. No.1 suspect.

Old 12-13-2018, 12:23 AM
JimScott
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Christmas
Well the dome light? The dome light runs through the light switch. No.1 suspect.
I had a feeling. I just didn't want to throw parts at it without knowing. Thanks!

Old 12-13-2018, 10:04 AM
resonateur
Fleet Mechanic
Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Jim:
Fear not....automotive electrical! Suggestion, get yourself a cheap multimeter like at Harbor Freight. Set it to 12V DC and learn how to test for voltage at various locations such as the light switch terminals mentioned above. Since all the wires you’re trying to trace are color coded, its not that hard. It will be a learning experience, but circuit testing does no harm, you’ll learn a lot, feel more empowered and less like you’re throwing random parts at the truck.

Old 12-13-2018, 10:24 AM
JimScott
Freshman User
Originally Posted by resonateur
Jim:
Fear not....automotive electrical! Suggestion, get yourself a cheap multimeter like at Harbor Freight. Set it to 12V DC and learn how to test for voltage at various locations such as the light switch terminals mentioned above. Since all the wires you’re trying to trace are color coded, its not that hard. It will be a learning experience, but circuit testing does no harm, you’ll learn a lot, feel more empowered and less like you’re throwing random parts at the truck.
I'll definitely do that. Thank you!

Old 12-13-2018, 06:44 PM
EricJ
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
It most cases a test light is easier than a VOM. You don't usually care how many volts you have when playing with most of the circuits on your truck, just that you have them. :-)

Old 12-14-2018, 12:14 PM
FordsOnlyGarage
Mountain Pass
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JimScott
...My 65 style side has come down with a gremlin. First my blinkers wouldn't blink. I replaced the relay and they worked for a bit and then quit again...
When you say they won't blink, do they ALL turn on and not blink? Or do they not turn on at all?

If they turn on, are either the front or rear turn filaments burned out?

A turn signal flasher works sort of like a circuit breaker. When you turn on the circuit, the lights come on for second or 2, the load of the circuit heats up the relay arm in the flasher and the circuit opens - lights shut off. Then the arm cools, the lights turn on again. Repeat, repeat,.... When you have one filament burned out, there is not enough current flow (amperage) to heat up the relay arm in your flasher, and thus the lights stay on and and do not flash (which also is an indicator to the driver to check for burned out bulbs).

Other causes for non-flash condition:
  • Poor ground (again, low amperage causes not enough heat for flasher relay arm)
  • Did you install an LED bulbs? These require a low amperage LED flasher.
Originally Posted by JimScott
...I've never been very good at troubleshooting electrical problems.
No worries. As mentioned below, a cheap digital volt meter will help you quickly and accurately diagnose the number one cause of wiring issues - VOLTAGE DROP due to high resistance in you circuit (poor grounds, bad connections, etc).
We can help you with that!

Old 12-14-2018, 12:24 PM
JimScott
Freshman User
Originally Posted by FordsOnlyGarage
When you say they won't blink, do they ALL turn on and not blink? Or do they not turn on at all?
They don't turn on at all. I plan on checking the ground, using a volt meter or test light to make sure I'm getting power, and then go from there. When I first replaced the relay, they worked fine for a few days, then nothing.