2000 X BODY LIFT

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 01:29 PM
Emil Silvi
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 X BODY LIFT

ANYONE KNO OF A BODY LIFT FOR A 2000X V10

IF NOT OFFERED.... WHAT WOULD THE REASON BE....

Last edited by Emil Silvi; 12-11-2018 at 01:35 PM. Reason: TYPO
Old 12-11-2018, 02:14 PM
Psyclopse
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As far as I know, no one offers a specific body lift for the Excursion, although I hear people use the Super Duty kits to varying degrees of success. There is a member here who has used one, and hasn't had any issues (sorry, I can't remember the user name). But more often than not, body lifting the Excursion usually doesn't make it past peoples' idea stage.

The most likely reason it's not available is the relatively low demand for it. To bring up a fun fact I like to use from time to time, there were more Chevelles built in 1970 alone than all the Excursions combined. In other words, the Excursion isn't all that common of a vehicle, and out of all vehicles that have body lifts available for them, a very small percentage of those ever get body lifts bought and installed on them. Therefore, the amount of body lifts that would actually get bought for an Excursion would be so small, that it wouldn't be financially feasible for the body lift manufacturer to invest in it.

There will probably be replies here soon telling you why NOT to do a body lift on an Excursion, but let's face it- those reasons will usually also apply to the vehicles they make body lifts for- meaning, the body lift manufacturers don't give a flip about these reasons, therefore the lack of support for Excursions is purely market-driven as far as they are concerned.

Some of the reasons NOT to body lift an Excursion include (but are not limited to):
1) Excursion bodies are just plain heavy
2) Center of gravity is raised when placing this heavy body up higher, amplifying body roll
3) The weight of the body combined with the lift adds more stress to the now-extended body bolts
4) The body lift adds exactly NOTHING to your suspension travel, due to the bumpstops being frame-mounted
5) The extra height of the heavy body places additional leverage on the suspension in turns
6) The steering shaft angle is increased, which increases the shaft length and operating angle of the shaft joints
7) Other concerns come into play- is wiring long enough? Modifying the fan shroud? Bumper relocation?

Basically, it's a lift method of minimal returns- sure, it gets you a few extra inches, but nothing more, AND comes with the need to deal with the other concerns. Lifting the suspension by the same amount usually gets you a couple other benefits besides just a couple inches of lift- such as extended travel, no additional body mount stress, etc.

I am sure there is more to this, and I have likely over-simplified it, but you get the idea.

Old 12-11-2018, 02:59 PM
Emil Silvi
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YAA I HEAR YOU..IVE BEEN BUILDING TRUCK FOR THE PAST 35YRS+..BUT THIS IS MY FIRST X....
I MADE BODY LIFT FOR A NUMBER OF TRUCK THAT DIDNT HAV EM...
I BUILT ALOTTA CUSTOM STUFF......
I JUST DDINT KNO IF THE FUEL LINE OR ELECTRICL HARNESS BECOMES A REAL ISSUE....
I HAVE TO CHANGE OUT THE MANIFOLD STUDS(HEAD TO MANIFOLD) AND IT SEEMD LIKE IT WOULD HELP IF TH BOD WAS HIGHER
I DID THE STUDS ON AN 04 SDUTY AND IT WENT GOOD..BUT IF TH BOD WAS HIGHER IT WOULD HAV BEEN EZER...
ALL IN ALL I APP YOUR INPUT....

Old 12-11-2018, 03:22 PM
Psyclopse
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't see the fuel line being an issue with a body lift on an Excursion, as the engine, fuel lines, and fuel tank all remain in their original locations on the frame and none of them care where the body is. The only exception is the fuel filler neck- it will be higher, since it is bolted to the body. That shouldn't be a big deal to modify though- likely only needing a longer rubber hose between the neck and the fuel tank inlet.

I don't know what engine you have, but I have electrical experience with the 2000 V10 model. About all of the wiring under the hood would be long enough for a 3-inch body lift, but you would have to remove some of the looms from their little hold-down clamps. Likewise, there would be enough wiring that the fuel tank wiring would work as well. The two places of concern from my experience would be the tail light wiring (it "might" be long enough, but it would be close), and you would definitely need longer frame-to-body ground straps (at least on my model), but those are pretty cheap at the parts stores.

If I were to think about a body lift, my major concerns would be figuring out what to do with the fan shroud, ensuring that the steering shaft is still at a safe operating angle, and how to properly relocate the rear bumper- the trucks share the same front bumper arrangement as Excursions, so the relocation brackets for the truck kit would work, but the rear bumper arrangement may or may not present a problem with the kit's brackets. Of course, there is always the "make your own bracket" option.

Old 12-11-2018, 03:31 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Please refrain from using all CAPITOL LETTERS makes it hard to read. body lifts causing excessive body roll is misleading, you get more weight up high with a suspension lift then just a body lift. suspension lift would easily create more body roll.

Old 12-11-2018, 05:06 PM
thor363
Fleet Mechanic

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Skip1970
Please refrain from using all CAPITOL LETTERS makes it hard to read. body lifts causing excessive body roll is misleading, you get more weight up high with a suspension lift then just a body lift. suspension lift would easily create more body roll.
Agreed on the shouting, but the spelling police say: Please spell properly...it's 'CAPITAL LETTERS'

Old 12-11-2018, 06:57 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
maybe the manufactures of body lifts figured out not many 16 year olds own Excursions,

Old 12-11-2018, 07:11 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Ha! well its allot easier to click the caps lock then teach a fool to spell, trust me this 48 year old dog aint learning no new tricks.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:08 PM
CalEx4x4
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Skip is right. My 2003 Ex with a 3 inch body lift still has the frame and drive train in the stock location, and they'e a LOT heavier than the body. (Excuse me for appearing to "yell", it's just for emphasis).
Search some of my posts for more details about the lift. I did it more than a decade ago and still no stress cracks or even any loose body mount bushings. Good luck however you decide to go.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:14 PM
CalEx4x4
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
3 inch spacer from F-250 kit under my Ex. This photo is about 10 years after doing the mod.
I need to learn how to adjust my file size before uploading ! My Bad.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:40 PM
PrescottIce
Elder User
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Body lifts offer tire clearance and a little extra drivetrain room, while suspension lifts give you the tire clearance and (usually) add travel and the related increase in damping options. Two different methods, two different purposes. Sometimes used in combination.

Not a naysayer on body lifts, I just personally think the suspension is so sorely lacking on these huge wagons that it begs attention in the suspender department far more than the benefits of a body lift could ever address. My only thought in favor of a body lift on the Excursion is that it sure would be nice to have an extra inch or so above the turbo and the rear of the valve covers. A little body lift (~1") and a mild suspension lift (~3-4") sounds about perfect.

Old 12-14-2018, 12:17 AM
Skip1970
Hotshot
how many of them body mounts from a f250 did you need? 2 kits and what brand, i might add a body lift to mine also

Old 12-14-2018, 03:50 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by CalEx4x4
Skip is right. My 2003 Ex with a 3 inch body lift still has the frame and drive train in the stock location, and they'e a LOT heavier than the body. (Excuse me for appearing to "yell", it's just for emphasis).
That's standard practice for emphasis, no worries there, but all caps is akin to shouting.

Stewart