2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

dealer warranty responses question

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 05:54 AM
Gwilkrrs
Fleet Mechanic
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
dealer warranty responses question

so I scheduled some warranty work for my 17 with 28k.
I stopped in to talk to the service writer and schedule the work with a specific tech. I said I am pretty sure the parts needed will be on back order so do you want to check before I drop the truck off for nothing? nope the tech needs to look and see what it needs and then go from there........ ok I get it.

issues dropped off for=
1. dreaded death wobble
2. antifreeze leak- both t fittings on top front of motor show weeps
3. batteries. both have constant white on top of them
4. rear dif leak/weep. back bottom side of rear has residual on it and dampness
5. sunroof rattle/squeak @ pass front corner

dealer had truck 1 day and calls that night @ 5ish.
1. we looked at wobble and the tsb you left us and replaced some of the included parts
2. both hose lines and fittings are back ordered (end of week he says)
3. batteries are holding a charge and not leaking. white residue is a no biggie, monitor and report back
4. rear isn't "leaking" as it isn't dripping - monitor and report back
5. sunroof didn't make a noise- monitor and report back

I said ok- I have araigments for transportation so keep it a bit to fix. but I disagree with the 3-4 responses and want to remedy the issues. drive the truck once it warms up and the sunroof squeaks on every road bump- rear shoul;dnt look damp ever, batteries shouldn't be white ever........ he said we can talk when I get the truck and he can explain it to me....... I said maybe when I get the truck I can explain it to you.......

am I off base on being miffed?

Old 12-11-2018, 08:14 AM
C12H24
Posting Guru
Received 503 Likes on 264 Posts
Not really off base but perhaps having too high expectations. Sometimes your complaints are all valid and sometimes what seems a problem, isn't. The sunroof; if it creaks and such only when warm, you have to take the service writer or tech for a road drive when those conditions exist. Otherwise, all you'll get there is they can't replicate the problem. It will eventually get fixed, but you have to get them to recognize the issue. As for the rear differential; The axle has a vent and it's quite common for the vent to...well, vent. Oil misting will occur. If you have just a light oil misting on the axle, then that is common. Now if it is dripping oil, then that is excessive venting or you have a leak. Non-sealed batteries do out-gas. I hate to say this is common, but there's no way around it. It's a maintenance item. Every now and then, pop the hood and clean the battery terminals with a mixture of baking soda and water. This will keep the corrosion from occurring on the terminals and will keep that patina off the top of the battery. It's not just a Ford thing. I have a GM car doing the exact same thing. Every couple of months, I pop the plastic covers off the posts and clean them up.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:23 AM
whagen
Tuned
Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
I have had a similar experience with dealers. The level of service has gone down. I have had dealers give back an Explorer with a control they broke and a ball joint rattling around in its seat. Would have made a nice lawsuit had it resulted in an accident.

Yeah that looks safe

beating on a aluminum control arm isn't the right way to break a ball joint loose.

I had my 2017 f250 in for a bad tpms sensor. Told them which one was bad, and they ended up replacing two of them. I could tell from them doing the relearn procedure that they did no listen to what i told them. The first one they replaced was fine (left rear - I had rotated the tires but could not do a relearn because one was bad. So the left rear showed dead when it was in fact the left front that was bad).

And this took 4 hours to do.

So for cheap fixes I have resolved that it might cost me a few bucks but my time is more valuable, i'll just do them myself or at places other than a dealership.

Old 12-11-2018, 11:13 AM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Look for my posts, they should be buying you new brackets and hold down bolts for the batteries, removing the batteries for load testing, and replacing everything clean. I had them them note it on my file 3 times before they finally did their job, all cleaned up and sprayed with anti corrosion inhibitor. What they will tell you is you are supposed to do battery maintenance, what I told them is why didnt they do it, as I have warrenty to 200k and a full service package. they ended up replacing both battery tie downs, a couple cables, tie down bolts and cleaning and spraying, as well as two new tow hooks, two new running boards, and now I get new rims next service.

Explain, be fair, but firm, and express you really need them to get the approvals from Ford to properly deal with these issues on your expensive as hell truck......

the customer is always right, but dont be derogatory or mean, ask to speak to a service manager, or dealer manager if you dont get anywhere with an advisor.

Mike

Old 12-11-2018, 11:20 AM
delorenzomp
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
as well as two new tow hooks, two new running boards, and now I get new rims next service.

is this to do with the batteries??

Old 12-11-2018, 01:54 PM
Blwnsmoke
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mhoefer
Look for my posts, they should be buying you new brackets and hold down bolts for the batteries, removing the batteries for load testing, and replacing everything clean. I had them them note it on my file 3 times before they finally did their job, all cleaned up and sprayed with anti corrosion inhibitor. What they will tell you is you are supposed to do battery maintenance, what I told them is why didnt they do it, as I have warrenty to 200k and a full service package. they ended up replacing both battery tie downs, a couple cables, tie down bolts and cleaning and spraying, as well as two new tow hooks, two new running boards, and now I get new rims next service.

Explain, be fair, but firm, and express you really need them to get the approvals from Ford to properly deal with these issues on your expensive as hell truck......

the customer is always right, but dont be derogatory or mean, ask to speak to a service manager, or dealer manager if you dont get anywhere with an advisor.

Mike
Sorry, but that is sooo far from the truth